Slow idle speed engine with hydraulic PRM gearbox

Featured Posts

Hello,

Anyone experience with a hydraulic PRM (150/260/280/500) gearbox on a Lister JP/JK engine or another engine with a low idle speed (365 RPM)?

I am looking for a suitable gearbox for my 73 feet long Dutch barge with a 26R24 propeller.  

However, I am afraid that due to the low RPM there would be insufficient oil pressure and the plates would slip ...

In the PRM 280 manual I found a maximum RPM, but no minimum RPM.

Thanks

Edited by Gédeau

I have seen PRM500 boxes on JP3 engines running at below 400RPM and had an Ailsa Craig FR4 running at 180RPM both worked fine. I have had several BMC 1.8D with flywheel pads running at 550RPM on PRM260 and PRM280 boxes without any problem.

I would suggest asking PRM.

25 minutes ago, Gédeau said:

Hello,

Anyone experience with a hydraulic PRM (150/260/280/500) gearbox on a Lister JP/JK engine or another engine with a low idle speed (365 RPM)?

I am looking for a suitable gearbox for my 73 feet long Dutch barge with a 26R24 propeller.  

However, I am afraid that due to the low RPM there would be insufficient oil pressure and the plates would slip ...

In the PRM 280 manual I found a maximum RPM, but no minimum RPM.

Thanks

From the 500 manual - is this any help ?

Not minimum rpm, but gives min oil pressure.

Screenshot (845).png

Thanks for your replay.

I did indeed send PRM an email with the question, but haven't received an answer yet...

When I look at pictures of Lister engines on the internet, I sometimes see a PRM gearbox mounted. however, the supplier of my shipyard believes that the idle speed is too low and does not want to provide a guarantee.

Ideal would be if someone has a similar setup with an oil pressure gauge on the gearbox. 

If the oil pressure at low speed is already 20 bar, it doesn't seem to be a problem to me.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

From the 500 manual - is this any help ?

Not minimum rpm, but gives min oil pressure.

Screenshot (845).png

Thanks.

The manual of the 280 prescribes the same pressure, but I don't know if this is feasible with a speed of 365 rpm

Not really an answer to your question but was concerned with this issue when looking at hydraulic gearboxes to fit onto a Kelvin engine. I was concerned that at such a low speed there would not be enough pressure. So in the end decided to fit a Borg Warner 72c straight drive. Once the job was done the gearbox pressures checked and were within the specified limits. Have now fitted this box to a couple of Kevin's and both have been running for a number of years without problem.

I’ve got a PRM 160 connected to a Russell Newbery DM2 which idles at that kind of speed. I think the PRM is the standard gearbox on the more modern Russell Newbery installations. No idea on gearbox oil pressure, but has been happy enough for 30+ years… Oil pretty clean too when changed. Pretty sure the PRM 260 is the replacement for the 160 I have?

9 minutes ago, gabble said:

I’ve got a PRM 160 connected to a Russell Newbery DM2 which idles at that kind of speed. I think the PRM is the standard gearbox on the more modern Russell Newbery installations. No idea on gearbox oil pressure, but has been happy enough for 30+ years… Oil pretty clean too when changed. Pretty sure the PRM 260 is the replacement for the 160 I have?

'They' made some changes to the 160 and relaunched it as the 260. IIR the mods: were for heavier dity proper marine boats (as the 160 is well over spec: for canal boats - even for a changed National engine....

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

'They' made some changes to the 160 and relaunched it as the 260. IIR the mods: were for heavier dity proper marine boats (as the 160 is well over spec: for canal boats - even for a changed National engine....

The 160 had fibre clutch facings. They were upgraded to bronze in the 260 which in turn has been superseded by the 280.

The pressure figure @ 1500 RPM are for referencing the pressure when testing, not a minimum required pressure and certainly not a minimum speed requirement.

When Gardner reintroduced the 2LW they supplied them with a PRM260. The official tickover is set at 410rpm but can be reduced to 330rpm I have  not heard of anyone having a problem with the clutches slipping. I have a PRM750 on a 3LW with the tickover set at 310 rpm it has been installed for around 20 years without any problem, we also have a PRM500 attached to a 3LW which has done over 12,000 hrs, it was stripped a couple of years ago for inspection, the clutch plates showed hardly any sign of wear. You only need full clutch pressure to deliver max power so any shortfall of pressure at lower rpm is generally inconsequential. I have also had a PRM 160 fitted to a 3LW that was transfered to a Perkins  3 Cly and is now on a 2LW, it is now comming up to 37 years old and is still on its original (sintered bronze) clutch plates. The more common problem with slow tickover is gearbox rattle, this can be overcome by fitting an R&D high deflection drive plate.

Steven

Thanks for the responses!

As I reading this shouldn't be a problem. 

I order a PRM260D2 and a loop type E R&D drive plate 180 lbft and also an R&D Flexible Coupling for between the coupling and propeller shaft to be sure.

Edited by Gédeau