GUCC Co Ltd Masthead lamp

fittie

Featured Posts

I've seen the picture of Aber 101 with a lamp in her engine 'ole but are there any other images of a GU masthead lamps from the period. I wand to see the layout of the different colours, i.e. where the light and dark colours are. I have a GU lamp and wanted to paint it hence way I am looking for any clues. The lamp came from the butty Bawtry 229.

I don't hold up much hope on this but you never know what is out there.

Cheers,

Fittie

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

gallery_5000_522_2292.jpg

10456089_683676115035853_85095733513613477_n (1).jpg

GUCCCo Lamp.jpeg

Bulls Bridge paint stores.jpg

Interesting, but most of those cans look as if there are of the FMC pattern but still would like to see one on a GU boat pre WWII if poss. In the last picture the lamp on the floor is all one colour but what colour...primer? I've seen this last picture before, is it during BW days?

3 minutes ago, fittie said:

Interesting, but most of those cans look as if there are of the FMC pattern but still would like to see one on a GU boat pre WWII if poss. In the last picture the lamp on the floor is all one colour but what colour...primer? I've seen this last picture before, is it during BW days?

Lots of masthead lights here, but none painted.

I think the lights may have been obtained from ships chandlers rather than set patterns. Stand correction here though.

antique masthead light - Bing images

• Greenie 1

The picture is dated as 1940's and I'm sure the colour scheme for the cans is wartime red blue and cream and this is as stated Bulls Bridge paint shop in it's Grand Union days.............

Interestingly another well known manufacturers of cans, Bococks were better known for their range of brass masthead lamps and other sea going equipment............................

Edited by Graham_Robinson

18 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Lots of masthead lights here, but none painted.

I think the lights may have been obtained from ships chandlers rather than set patterns. Stand correction here though.

antique masthead light - Bing images

Wonderful construction but not my cup of tea.......................I own a Woolwich not a Josher...................we were very up to date with electric lighting.............................

5 minutes ago, Graham_Robinson said:

The picture is dated as 1940's and I'm sure the colour scheme for the cans is wartime red blue and cream and this is as stated Bulls Bridge paint shop in it's Grand Union days.............

Cream band across the middle, but which parts were blue and which red?

2 minutes ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Wonderful construction but not my cup of tea.......................I own a Woolwich not a Josher...................we were very up to date with electric lighting.............................

The GU boats also had a back up Masthead oil lamp.

Happy new year by the way.

25 minutes ago, fittie said:

The GU boats also had a back up Masthead oil lamp.

Happy new year by the way.

We need no back up we're the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd..........................................................................and Happy New Year to you too..........................

2 hours ago, Graham_Robinson said:

Interestingly another well known manufacturers of cans, Bococks were better known for their range of brass masthead lamps and other sea going equipment............................

I have an old forged windlass with Bocock stamped into it.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

It's a Not Under Command lamp.....😎

Otherwise known as an Anchor light. Hoist to the masthead when at anchor, this type of light had a 360° spread so as to be visible to other shipping. More often they had loops top and bottom both sides for lines to stop them waving around too much. Not a 'masthead' light, nor a Tunnel light, both of which shone forward.

Edited by Derek R.

On 06/01/2022 at 09:19, fittie said:

Not a lamp but mid 90s some old buckby cans turned up out of a shed somewhere and were for sale at Cosgrove. They were painted in a simple light turquoise primer. 

IMG_20220107_092536.jpg.7a25f306d6a5b43721d877281cdd58aa.jpg

I don't know what the RAL colour was but as I remember it they were more or less this colour.

Looked to be original paint for storage.   Probably not that exact RAL number I think it was a bit lighter but that's similar to how I remember it. 

Might tie in with some other detail from somewhere. Don't know how old the cans were but the one I bought had a couple of small holes in bottom from storage so I think old. I did not keep it, it went with one of the boats when sold. 

11 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Otherwise known as an Anchor light. Hoist to the masthead when at anchor, this type of light had a 360° spread so as to be visible to other shipping. More often they had loops top and bottom both sides for lines to stop them waving around too much. Not a 'masthead' light, nor a Tunnel light, both of which shone forward.

An all round anchor light is white and a single light.    Not Under Command lights are  a string of three -  red white red if I recall my Rule of the Road.

N

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

An all round anchor light is white and a single light.    Not Under Command lights are  a string of three -  red white red if I recall my Rule of the Road.

N

I stand corrected. Though some images show two red lights one above the other, others show two red and a white.

That fine example shown does seem to have a red tinge through the glass.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=not+under+command+lights&atb=v222-1&ia=web

35 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I stand corrected. Though some images show two red lights one above the other, others show two red and a white.

That fine example shown does seem to have a red tinge through the glass.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=not+under+command+lights&atb=v222-1&ia=web

Everything is there as original, the red glass is mounted in a circular frame which lifts out.

I checked the colregs.  I was nearly right.  All round  red white red lights or, by day, ball, diamond, ball is displayed, with normal mast, side and stern lights by a vessel  restricted in its ability to manoeuvre.

A vessel not under command displays two all round  red lights or,  by day,  two black balls.  Plus normal mast, side and stern lights if making way through the water.

Matty's rather nice lamp has a red glass so could be used with either, but would not be much use for seeing where you are in a tunnel🙄.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

I checked the colregs.  I was nearly right.  All round  red white red lights or, by day, ball, diamond, ball is displayed, with normal mast, side and stern lights by a vessel  restricted in its ability to manoeuvre.

A vessel not under command displays two all round  red lights or,  by day,  two black balls.  Plus normal mast, side and stern lights if making way through the water.

Matty's rather nice lamp has a red glass so could be used with either, but would not be much use for seeing where you are in a tunnel🙄.

N

I'm preserving all the bits but making it a bit more directional using lighthouse type technology.