Owatrol

swift1894

Featured Posts

Friends abroad swear by this rust treatment. Totally different to Vactan. It doesn’t turn rusty steel blue/black, but claims to penetrate the rust, drive out all moisture and prevent further rusting. It can then be overpainted and even ADDED to any oil based paint to protect the metal and also “ease” the application by extending the flow and drying times. Anyone used it? 

Yes, at home and on the boat. It takes a little time to dry I find. 

At home I have  old cast iron greenhouse piping for hot water (Victorian, not used but decorative) plus an iron grate   I painted it on 15 years ago and not over painted it. Its as good as the day it was put on despite usual damp greenhouse conditions. This year I ran out of time with a few chips so just put Owatrol on, still all good so far with no water penetration. 

Edited by Stroudwater1

I used it two years ago on the rust and in the paint. Used bondaprimer then topcoats.

This year I ground out the rust and did it  (again) with Fertan.

Its good to use in the paint as a flow aid, but appears to do little to rust.

Its fabulous on wood if you don’t like varnish. Did all the oak trims on the boat this year.

Strange how people get different results.

May not have left on long enough. ( 48 hrs) in some areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it as a paint additive as instructed on the can but was slagged off for doing so by certain forum members who said that paint manufacturers spend a lot of time developing products and if they thought their paint could be improved with additives then they would have done so themselves. It certainly seemed to help maintain the wet edge of the paint in application, whether it has helped to prevent rust I've no idea. 

I personally wouldn't use Owatrol as a rust treatment or as a bare steel primer as I think there are better products on the market. In my mind you either get rid of rust mechanically or get rid of as much as you can and convert the rest. The only paint product I would use directly over any remaining surface rust which can't be removed mechanically or flash rust which has developed overnight is a good two pack epoxy. 

Edited by blackrose

It’s an impressive product, both as a rust treatment and paint aid. I have produced fantastic paint coverage ( glossy and mirror finishes super smooth ) with its ability to retain that wet edge when painting with difficult oil based paints. As a rust treatment I have not seen any rust develop in the 14 years since I first started using the product. 

• Greenie 1

I used Owatrol a lot when Holland-based on Dutch folks recommendation. 

I left 2 pieces of mild steel outside over winter, the one treated with Owatrol was rustless.

Added about 10% to all top coats.

On 13/01/2022 at 10:09, blackrose said:

I used it as a paint additive as instructed on the can but was slagged off for doing so by certain forum members who said that paint manufacturers spend a lot of time developing products and if they thought their paint could be improved with additives then they would have done so themselves. It certainly seemed to help maintain the wet edge of the paint in application, whether it has helped to prevent rust I've no idea. 

I personally wouldn't use Owatrol as a rust treatment or as a bare steel primer as I think there are better products on the market. In my mind you either get rid of rust mechanically or get rid of as much as you can and convert the rest. The only paint product I would use directly over any remaining surface rust which can't be removed mechanically or flash rust which has developed overnight is a good two pack epoxy. 

So why did Phill Speight (a much respected painter) who made Craftmaster Paints also make Craftmaster PPA (Phills Paint Adjuster)

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

So why did Phill Speight (a much respected painter) who made Craftmaster Paints also make Craftmaster PPA (Phills Paint Adjuster)

I've no idea, I guess he was trying to make some more money. But I thought we were talking about Owatrol? Anyway it wasn't me saying that additives couldn't be added to paint to improve their performance, it was other 'respected' forum members who criticised me for using Owatrol as a paint additive. From memory Dr Bob, MtB and others. You'll have to put your question to them. Apologies to both if my memory isn't correct.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, MtB said:

People are writing about Owatrol as if it is one single product with a multitude of uses.

AIUI it is a brand name for a whole range of products so saying things like "Owatrol is great for <xxx>", is pretty meaningless without saying which Owatrol product was being used

Blimey! I've been believing the single product stuff for years!

Presumably this is what they are talking about..... can it be mixed with water based paints?

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-oil/

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I think we all know which particular Owatrol product we're all talking about here. Presumably nobody is considering priming bare steel with Owatrol colour restorer or using Owatrol wood oil as a paint additive?

We dont "all" know, because I didnt. Ive seen the word used many times without any reference to the particular product. I always assumed Owatrol was the product, or they only made one product.

Clearly, had i ever considered using it, i would have discovered the reality.

• Greenie 1

Im a bit confused now MtB , as this is what Ive been using - only bought it in this rectangular tin last July. I just checked and its the same can in stock today? 

https://paintwell.co.uk/owatrol-oil-paint-conditioner-rust-inhibitor?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_rnt9C49QIViLbtCh23YAkxEAQYBSABEgJEGPD_BwE#232=655&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=free_listings

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Im a bit confused now MtB , as this is what Ive been using - only bought it in this rectangular tin last July. I just checked and its the same can in stock today? 

https://paintwell.co.uk/owatrol-oil-paint-conditioner-rust-inhibitor?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_rnt9C49QIViLbtCh23YAkxEAQYBSABEgJEGPD_BwE#232=655&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=free_listings

Me too. I'm always confused by Owatrol, which is why I raised the point. 

I too get the stuff you linked, usually from midland chandeliers, but the Owatrol that can be painted on and just left as a finish on steel seems to be something else. I think. But I'm not sure.

See what I mean?!

• Love 1

21 hours ago, MtB said:

And here is a link to Owatrol's product page for narrow boats: 

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/marine/narrowboat-maintainance/

18 different Owatrol products there to choose from!

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-oil/

Sorry, try this.