Pushed in

Philip

Featured Posts

Yes to the Weil's disease thing too.

It's medical name is leptospirosos.

A few years ago a forumite contracted it. He reckoned it got in via his eye when he wiped his face with a hand wet with contaminated canal water.

If you develop any flu-like symptons seek medical advice asap.

Leaving the Covid situation aside, you might have to 'bang the table' a bit.

After spending the best part of an afternoon removing one of those awful Chinese hot air lantern things from the prop I had need to visit the NHS walk-in centre in Walsall. The staff there had never heard of Weil's disease.

(And glad to know you are OK, should have said that earlier)

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

If you develop any flu-like symptons seek medical advice asap.

I had need to visit the NHS walk-in centre in Walsall. The staff there had never heard of Weil's disease.

Agree, i fell in a while back, told my doctor and he looked baffled - not a clue what i was on about.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Creaking Gate said:

Agree, i fell in a while back, told my doctor and he looked baffled - not a clue what i was on about.

Once when canoeing on the Thames I grazed my knuckles on a lock wall and, stupidly, put my hand in the water to wash the blood off.

The company I was working for had issued a note on Leptospirosis summarising the three stages 1. flu like symptoms 2. jaundice and 3. death.

Duly reaching stage 1 I presented to the GP who was doubtful but looked it up in his little book and quoted 1. flu symptoms 2. jaundice and 3. the recovery period.  Antibiotics. were prescribed.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Thanks, I saw the Castle Garden mooring. Looking at the map I think stopping at one of these two moorings and then making for Kilby Bridge or Newton Harcourt or Kibworth the next evening would be a good plan.

Kilby Bridge is good for mooring overnight but we have no problem in stopping just south of Kings Lock there is piling at the end of the lock moorings. There is a very covenient Aldi on the offside at Aylestone -you can moor up to railings alonside a smal park/playarea. North of the city Thurmaston or Birstall are good. Its then a run into the city centre. The canal is a bit grotty in places but it is interesting.

• Greenie 1

I walked around there in December during a visit to the hugely disappointing Christmas markets.  Your assailant is almost certainly on CCTV.  As for Wiels, drink full fat coke.  Canoeists drink it following a dip - I should add, I'm glad you're okay.  

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Symptoms of Weil syndrome ...

Historic Narrow Boat Club have a webpage linked here. As mentioned above, not something GPs naturally think about. HNBC (when NBOC) had a card printed to carry-about as a reminder, and something to present to paramedics/GPs/A&E. Clearing props, handling wet ropes etc are a risk particularly for boaters.

As an aside, Elaine used to carry similar card from work. (Married for lots-of-years to a sewerage engineer who talks of her work over lunch ...)

• Greenie 2

Well I've just had a can of full sugar cola so hopefully it'll help in case I have picked something up. I don't have any open wounds or cuts that were exposed and if I did get any in my mouth it wasn't much and doubt I'd have swallowed it, I just can't quite remember. 

• Happy 1

I took a dip in the canal, through my own stupidity, at Nantwich in February, a few years ago. Not an episode I’d like to repeat.

Glad you’re okay and that you have reported it. I really can’t see the enjoyment of pushing a stranger into the water. Doing this to a mate, I assume, can be fun and still not acceptable, but someone you don’t know. The mind boggles.

• Greenie 1

On 04/01/2022 at 08:32, Philip said:

It was just a bit beyond Gas Street Basin/Worcester Bar, towards the mailbox.

Thank you, I'm fine but just can't believe what happened really. I'll report it today - I have an accurate time so maybe there'll be some footage somewhere they can review.

The only time(s) we've had problems anywhere on the canal system were 'around the corner' from Worcester bar where our head lilne was untied at aroud 04:00 and we were awakened by the bow hitting the wall of the flats opposite. On the second occasion the head line was untied - but we had added the security of a chain and two padlocks....

16 hours ago, Philip said:

Well I've just had a can of full sugar cola so hopefully it'll help in case I have picked something up. 

Can somebody explain to me how Coke in the stomach is going to help against infection entering through cuts and scratches as I can't fathom the science.  I can sort of see how it might help with swallowed bacteria, although I would have thought the stomach acid was as likely to help as the acid from the coke.

Edited by Jerra
  • Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

Can somebody explain to me how Coke in the stomach is going to help against infection entering through cuts and scratches as I can't fathom the science.  I can sort of see how it might help with swallowed bacteria, although I would have thought the stomach acid was as likely to help as the acid from the coke.

I have seen similar suggested for Covid

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its OK, Facebook are allreay warning people not to go to Birmingham for fare of getting pushed in in Gas Street basin

Im fine with that.....more space for the rest of us!!....The fact is you can be unlucky anywhere....ive had issues at supposedly safe moorings...Alrewas & market Harborough...and moored safely in Brum/Leicester...I think you just need to take precautions eg I chain the boat to the bank if needed....and pop into a marina etc if need to leave it for a few days....and attacks to the person can sadly happen anywhere these days....

• Greenie 2

Done Leicester twice in last years. Still leave early and get through from Kilby bridge and through to Mountsorrel, or visa versa.

No problems in middle of day. It’s a good run though, coming through this year we looked at Kings and concluded it was safe at the end of a day preferably towards dark and in the rain.

I am paranoid about Leicester for good reason, I was involved in the criminal justice system there for many years. I know what went on. Same as Drugby, another place that appears ok.