Tablet might be end of life very soon

LadyG

Featured Posts

Not sure where to put this thread, but I have a vague memory of dropping my Huawei tablet the other day, it has now got a developing crack, maybe it will continue to work, maybe not...... 

The thing is on a Three Contract, what do I do now?

I would prefer a tablet that has a better battery, I expect these tablets get better every year. 

The thing is, where is the sim card on a tablet, I can't see anything. I have a mi fi which has a sim card, is this what drives the tablet Internet? 

Obviously I have no insurance cover. 

I will now be buying a tablet protector! 

If you turn your mifi off does the tablet still have internet connectivity?  If it does then it will have its own SIM card, if not then it is WiFi connected and using your mifi so won't have its own SIM card.

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Not sure where to put this thread, but I have a vague memory of dropping my Huawei tablet the other day, it has now got a developing crack, maybe it will continue to work, maybe not...... 

The thing is on a Three Contract, what do I do now?

I would prefer a tablet that has a better battery, I expect these tablets get better every year. 

The thing is, where is the sim card on a tablet, I can't see anything. I have a mi fi which has a sim card, is this what drives the tablet Internet? 

Obviously I have no insurance cover. 

I will now be buying a tablet protector! 

Tablets often share the SIM slot with the memory card. Room for both.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a vague memory of dropping my Huawei tablet the other day.

The other day isn't that long ago?! Anyway, is it the screen that's cracked, is it 'bleeding'?  You can screens replaced at a reasonable cost these days...

4 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

The other day isn't that long ago?! Anyway, is it the screen that's cracked, is it 'bleeding'?  You can screens replaced at a reasonable cost these days...

No bleeding, do you mean actual liquid, or some sort of cloudiness, anyway, it still seems to work OK, and it's working via the router sim card, which presumably was provided by Three. 

The other day might be three days ago, calender days, but maybe it was two days ago, anyway it seems to have stabised. 

Edited by LadyG

• 3 months later...

OK, so went in to town and bought a better tablet, second hand, but it's a Lenova not a Huawei, anyway eventually got it working, and moved the router back to where it usually sits, my old Hauwei tablet still connected, but Lenova is not. 

They were both online simultaneously when router was next to them. 

Any comment? WLAN has turned off, I keep turning it on again. 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

OK, so went in to town and bought a better tablet, second hand, but it's a Lenova not a Huawei, anyway eventually got it working, and moved the router back to where it usually sits, my old Hauwei tablet still connected, but Lenova is not. 

They were both online simultaneously when router was next to them. 

Any comment? WLAN has turned off, I keep turning it on again. 

I don't know much about smart phones, hate the word SMART, I always think I'll be done buying anything with the word Smart in it, I've known many Smart Alec's and always found them dodgy and distrustful. Anyway I have two refurbished Lenovo laptops, both first rate. My nephew an IT exspurt tells me that Lenovo bought out part of IBM and still have IBM's support.

Edited by bizzard

17 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

The Thinkpad was IBM, my first thinkpad laptop was an IBM,and I still use Lenovo, been very reliable.

I'm on a Thinkpad at the mo, a T450, very fast too considering I'm on a Wi Fi dongle. I bought for £145 re fefurb two years ago, my other is a Lenovo Ideapad note book.  Both vely leriable

Edited by bizzard

37 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'm on a Thinkpad at the mo, a T450, very fast too considering I'm on a Wi Fi dongle. I bought for £145 re fefurb two years ago, my other is a Lenovo Ideapad note book.  Both vely leriable

Exactly like mine. Most reliable lap top I know. Even secondhand it outlasted my daughter's Dell

I'm on Three, that's the sim I think, but I've tried to set up the new tablet similar to the old one, keying in the SSID as printed on the mifi, something is not connecting, yet it was working this afternoon. 

I've pressed every button I can find, so things are not going to improve. 😢

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Exactly like mine. Most reliable lap top I know. Even secondhand it outlasted my daughter's Dell

I think most re furbs are from offices that renew them as a matter of course after a year or two.  Mine has the docking contacts underneath.

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm on Three, that's the sim I think, but I've tried to set up the new tablet similar to the old one, keying in the SSID as printed on the mifi, something is not connecting, yet it was working this afternoon. 

I've pressed every button I can find, so things are not going to improve. 😢

Preesed every button ? [perhaps you keep pressing the off button.  :giggles:

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't think I'd buy anything Dell. like Smart Dell reminds me of the dodgy Del boy Trotter.

Edited by bizzard

I've got a Lenovo tablet, the 8" yoga with the giant battery. It should find the wifi ok. I don't know much about their newer ones but it might be worth going into the about tablet bit and making it  check for updates. If its been put back to factory settings the os might be well out of date.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

OK folks, sorted the connection,  it was confusion between password ie "admin " and the SSID, which is required when asked for password, !!!!!! Tried all combinations til one worked,. My normal IT strategy 😅

It's fairly new, and I think it is all updated, there was nothing on it, so must have had a factory reset, I bought it from a  shop, I have used them online, seem competent. Good interpersonal skills,  not so usual these days.

The shop was quite busy with folks making re-payments, I assume they offer credit not available with bigger companies, Colne is the kind of place to get real value. 

Edited by LadyG

I bought a 'refurbished' Lenovo thinkpad and I don't suppose a single part of it was refurbished but its been a very good and reliable machine, probably ex local authority.

• Happy 1

24 minutes ago, Bee said:

I bought a 'refurbished' Lenovo thinkpad and I don't suppose a single part of it was refurbished but its been a very good and reliable machine, probably ex local authority.

Generally refurbing a laptop is simply reinstall / reset windows and give it a clean

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

Generally refurbing a laptop is simply reinstall / reset windows and give it a clean

The refurb company I buy from runs a whole battery of diagnostic tests and supplies the print out. I think they also reprint the keyboards because all those I have had look like new.

On 07/04/2022 at 07:09, LadyG said:

OK folks, sorted the connection,  it was confusion between password ie "admin " and the SSID, which is required when asked for password, !!!!!! Tried all combinations til one worked,. My normal IT strategy 😅

It's fairly new, and I think it is all updated, there was nothing on it, so must have had a factory reset, I bought it from a  shop, I have used them online, seem competent. Good interpersonal skills,  not so usual these days.

The shop was quite busy with folks making re-payments, I assume they offer credit not available with bigger companies, Colne is the kind of place to get real value. 

Many routers/mifi's have two passwords on a label on back or bottom. On bt/plusnet routers these are on a small plastic card which is detachable.

The one you are interested in to make a connection to the internet is the SSID (Service Set Identifier) password. The SSID is a unique name that identifies your router/mifi and is usually broadcast so that nearby devices can see it and attach (provided the password is known!).

The other password often found is a 'user' password (usually "admin"). This allows you (after a connection is made) to access the router to change various settings. Most people will never have a need to do this. 

19 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Many routers/mifi's have two passwords on a label on back or bottom. On bt/plusnet routers these are on a small plastic card which is detachable.

The one you are interested in to make a connection to the internet is the SSID (Service Set Identifier) password. The SSID is a unique name that identifies your router/mifi and is usually broadcast so that nearby devices can see it and attach (provided the password is known!).

The other password often found is a 'user' password (usually "admin"). This allows you (after a connection is made) to access the router to change various settings. Most people will never have a need to do this. 

I'm sure I'll never need to d onto anything other than get it working, ,,