Engine recommendation

Laurencr

Featured Posts

Hi I recently put a bukh  24 engine in my Erebus icebreaker 28 foot running on hydraulics.the engine is not the most desirable sound and is not complement the boat whatsoever so I’m looking to change it for something with a lovely noise any recommendations or engines for sale A nice classic Engine but not too big as it needs to fit in a extremely tight space

Erebus did have an Ailsa Craig single when I looked at it in 1995. It was a really nice little engine I wonder what became of it. Boat also had a nice Taylor's gimballed paraffin cooker. 

A little Sabb would be quite nice. I'd have thought the Bukh okay though. 

Maybe change to dry exhaust and skin tank cooling to get the "right" noise . 

Funny little boat 5ft8 wide. Hmm how she rolled. 

Edited by magnetman

I think I would experiment with all sorts of old pipe to see if it would be possible to seperate the water from the exhaust to get a bit more 'bark'. Never done it myself so not sure if it would work.

16 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think I would experiment with all sorts of old pipe to see if it would be possible to seperate the water from the exhaust to get a bit more 'bark'. Never done it myself so not sure if it would work.

I don't think it would because the water injection will have already cooled and contracted the exhaust gasses, But i don't see why the OP needs to convert to skin tank cooling. Stay direct raw water cooled (guess) but direct it through a skin fitting rather than into the exhaust. However it would probably needs a silencer and any exhaust hose would need changing to metal and possibly insulating.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't think it would because the water injection will have already cooled and contracted the exhaust gasses, But i don't see why the OP needs to convert to skin tank cooling. Stay direct raw water cooled (guess) but direct it through a skin fitting rather than into the exhaust. However it would probably needs a silencer and any exhaust hose would need changing to metal and possibly insulating.

I quite like the sound of a wet exhaust.

They always remind me of someone vomitting!  😰