RobinHood Hire company

dak

Featured Posts

Hiya, we are still trawling the internet/brochures for hire companies to rent our second narrowboat holiday in April 2008. Have come across Robin Hood Hire company Sawley on the internet and wondered if anyone out there in the forum has had any dealings with them, and what they are like? Not even heard of them before, so any comments or advise would be welcome. Thanks.

Hiya, we are still trawling the internet/brochures for hire companies to rent our second narrowboat holiday in April 2008. Have come across Robin Hood Hire company Sawley on the internet and wondered if anyone out there in the forum has had any dealings with them, and what they are like? Not even heard of them before, so any comments or advise would be welcome. Thanks.

sounds like they are disguising canal time boats ??

IIRC, when I was there a month or so ago, during the floods, I went to get a brochure for a friend from the Hire-a-canal-boat office, and was surprised to notice there were a few companies operating from the same office.

Could be Robin Hood was one of those.

sounds like they are disguising canal time boats ??

Without a doubt these are Canaltime boats. I am pretty expert on this as I was on one from Sawley in early October!

If you go on to their site you can look at a picture of the so called "Sherwood Class" together with a plan for the boat layout. Exactly the same as we had for our timeshare.

See as follows:

http://ns.srv1.co.uk/robinhood/supp_4b_plan.html

Good value at the prices shown although one snag is the lack of access to the front deck from inside the boat (as can be seen from the plan).

Stewey

They do always advise you to keep valuable secured and out of site, was it insured?

Unfortunately not they dont insure large items that are priceless. They also said there would be a huge surcharge and they were right. Did try to keep it out of site but had my shorts on that summer and it was difficult. Thought it best to put it in a dark safe place and bingo lost for good.

Clicked the link and the boat looks exactly like the hireacanalboat boat that we had a couple of weeks ago. Comfortable but failry basic boats - look out for the hidden bits though - like the £50 charge if you don't empty your bins and put the binliner in the skip at the marina and the hidden charge for not stripping your beds and folding all the linen.............check the cupboards for hidden stickers and check the info pack they give you - apart from that had a fantastic trip :P

Edited by tillergirl

£50 charge if you don't empty your bins and put the binliner in the skip at the marina and the hidden charge for not stripping your beds and folding all the linen.............check the cupboards for hidden stickers and check the info pack they give you

Can they get away with this? I've just read their terms and conditions on the website, and there's no mention of these charges (unless I missed them - it is rather a wordy document!) £500 security deposit? We've never been asked for this with any of the companies we've hired from. As for checking cupboards for hidden stickers or reading the info pack to discover about these hidden charges - I think that's appalling.

Stripping beds and folding linen? Why on earth would you bother to fold dirty linen? We always strip beds and leave all bedlinen, tea towels etc in a bin liner to make it easier for the cleaners (obviously, we tell them what we've done, so they don't just chuck it in the nearest skip!)

Personally, after reading their very rigid T&C's, I wouldn't touch this company with the proverbial bargepole. They certainly don't give out the sort of friendly welcome we've had with every company we've hired from.

Janet

Can they get away with this? I've just read their terms and conditions on the website, and there's no mention of these charges (unless I missed them - it is rather a wordy document!) £500 security deposit? We've never been asked for this with any of the companies we've hired from. As for checking cupboards for hidden stickers or reading the info pack to discover about these hidden charges - I think that's appalling.

Stripping beds and folding linen? Why on earth would you bother to fold dirty linen? We always strip beds and leave all bedlinen, tea towels etc in a bin liner to make it easier for the cleaners (obviously, we tell them what we've done, so they don't just chuck it in the nearest skip!)

Personally, after reading their very rigid T&C's, I wouldn't touch this company with the proverbial bargepole. They certainly don't give out the sort of friendly welcome we've had with every company we've hired from.

Janet

so who do you recommend i take my first weeks canal holiday with janet

my wife aint so keen so i need to make a big impression if we are to go again

:P

Carlo, which area of the country are you thinking of visiting?

Janet

hi janet - i live in sutton coldfield so nowhere is really far

i think a trip with 5/6 locks a day would go down well but no big flights

i quite like staffordshire and the thames looks very nice south of oxford

we had a short trip on a friends ownerships boat at pangbourne just before the big floods

any advise very welcome

big thanks

:P

[

This reminds me of something we heard about on a recent holiday. The hirers had obviously done something similar but they had also included a loo roll and a bar of soap in the bundle. The cleaner put them all in the washing machine :P . Knowing what it is like if a paper tissue gets into the wash, I hate to think what the bedding looked like after being washed with a full loo roll!. Fortunatley, the yard maamnger saw the funny side but I don't think the cleaner was too happy.

I can highly recommend Wyvern Shipping Co, based at Linslade, just outside Milton Keynes. Not the cheapest by any means, but then you get what you pay for, don't you? We hired their 4* boat "Pearl" and had a great time. Not cheap, but well worth every penny. Handover was very good, especially as we were first-timers and the boat was very comfortable, and immaculate both inside and out. There are some good routes along the Grand Union Canal, and you can do as few or as many locks as you like if you plan your trip well.

If you want to go further north, then I can also highly recommend the Canal Cruising Co, based at Stone in Staffordshire. We hired one of their boats a couple of years ago, and we've hired the same boat again for three weeks next year. What other company offers three weeks for the price of two? How could we resist? You have the option of several canals from their base, including the Staffs and Worcs, which is just fabulous. The boat we've taken is a bit basic, and at the bottom end of what they offer, but it was very clean, tidy, well organised and handles like a dream. They do have better appointed boats, but we're sort of restricted by budget!

Hope this is of some help.

Janet

• 5 weeks later...

You get what you pay for.I notice the boats are NOT independently graded by Visit Britain and do not meet the BMF quality assured boat safety handover scheme.Draw your own conclusions why a company would choose not to take part in schemes devoted to promoting quality!

Edited by Tiller Slave

so who do you recommend i take my first weeks canal holiday with janet

my wife aint so keen so i need to make a big impression if we are to go again

:wub:

Hi Carlo,

Does your wife know about your plans with Janet? Please heed my advice and let her know about your plans before you go ahead with your nautical nocturnal nooky plans :D

We can recommend Kate Boats in Warwick, the boats are fairly good, with no hidden surcharges.

Regards,

Rob and Heather

You get what you pay for.I notice the boats are NOT independently graded by Visit Britain and do not meet the BMF quality assured boat safety handover scheme.Draw your own conclusions why a company would choose not to take part in schemes devoted to promoting quality!

How many hire companies are independently graded by Visit Britain then? I count 5, all day boat hirers, on their site.

Hi Carlo.Looking at them as they've gone by, Ashby Boats always look the part, or Napton.Mike.PS. Carlo --What is it that your other half isn't so keen about. If there is something specific, then your choice of cruising route may also be quite important.Mike.

Yes, I hired from Ashby Boat hire, based half way up the lock free Ashby canal, perfect for my first time. The boat was tidy, everything worked properly and they allow pets too.

Actually Hire A Canal Boat were much more expensive than Pennine Cruisers...............and much more rigid to boot. I;d reccommend Pennine in Skipton - the LeedsLiverpool is a beautiful canal going west (but hard work as you're going up over the Pennines). HACB was a first for us this year but we won't be using them again in fact we might have to give boating a miss this next year in the hope that the following year we'll be cruising in our own the year after :D Oh the sacrifices one must make............ :wub:

Hi All

I have been with Kate Boats, Ashby and Stone, all lovely boats, clean, good to handle and friendly boat yards, Black Prince, excellent boats but as they are a franchise boat yards differ. Would also highly recommend Napton, very nice boats and a very friendly reception. With the exception of Black Prince you can usually get away earlier than expected, a real bonus, I usually ring and ask, very nicely what time they could let the boat go or turn up early and say 'we know we are early and plan to find a pub for lunch any recommendations etc quite often we are told that the boat is ready. Best result so far Napton arrived at 12.15, boat usually available 2.30, and then told feel free to go on board now, we were away by 1.30pm, result!!

If you like Staffordshire why not have a look at Aqua Narrowboat Hire.

We popped along to see his boats last September and booked two weeks for next year. He only runs two boats but they are very well appointed compared to usual hire boats.

Janet

Hi,

How can anyone make such criticisms without any dealings with the company concerned?

We looked at a number of hire firms before opting for Hire a canalboat and they all have terms and conditions and deposits.I wouldn't expect anything else

where such an expensive piece of equipment is concerned and,having to deal with the general public,I can imagine the condition that some would return the boat in.

We have nothing but praise for Hire a canalboat.All contact by phone or e mail was dealt with courteously,cheerfully and promptly.On arrival we were given

an hour of instruction and a video,and all the staff were friendly and helpful.The hand back was just the same.No searching the boat for faults or anything like that.As for the linen,didn't you have to fold it to get it into the bin liner?

We have read a number of comments on this and other forums that are very quick to criticize Hire a canalboat,and by association those who hire from them.

We also encountered the back turning and head down attitude of some boat owners as we went past in a boat with the distinctive livery.Shame on you.

This was an opportunity for us to enjoy a short cruise,at a time of year when few others hire out their craft,and when we could make mistakes without

hindering others,who it seems,have a greater right to use the canals than those who hire from Hire a canalboat.

FredW.

We have read a number of comments on this and other forums that are very quick to criticize Hire a canalboat,and by association those who hire from them.

We also encountered the back turning and head down attitude of some boat owners as we went past in a boat with the distinctive livery.Shame on you.

This was an opportunity for us to enjoy a short cruise,at a time of year when few others hire out their craft,and when we could make mistakes without

hindering others,who it seems,have a greater right to use the canals than those who hire from Hire a canalboat.

FredW.

I am fully with you on this. We sold our private boat in July but already had a commitment to some friend who had sorted their boat out. We hired and can concur that the attitude of some private boaters was appalling. As one example, not 2 hours after leaving base, we were following our friends who had never boated before and they sailed too close to the bank which skewed their front end out and sent them into panic - but they did well and corrected. A couple on a private boat coming the other way were visibly splitting their sides with laughter and said 'stay off the special brew' My mate's wife was quite upset as it had really unnerved her and lost her bottle to drive for a day or so after.

I can see why the flatfronted canaltime boaters get a bad reputation - when we did the Llan-g - the poor b*ggers clearly hadn't been trained properly - but that is not their fault.

There is no doubt that for every rude private boater there is an obnoxious hire boater who has the 'I've paid therefore I'm right' attitude.

We are in a bit of a dilemma at the moment as to whether or not to livery our hireboat up as a hireboat or to make it look more like a private boat. Pro's and Con's to both:

Pro's

- Postive boaters will see that it is a hireboat and will keep a watching eye over the hirers and exercise more tolerance

- Potential market awareness

Con's

- Bad attitude from others

I've said it before and I'll say it again....private boaters can hand over a huge wad of cash and drive away in a spanking new boat with no training. However limited it may be in some cases, all hireboaters by (BW) law have to receive competancy training.