Boat reaches Wednesfield......slow news day

matty40s

Featured Posts

This is the BCNS led   BCN Explorer cruises re-starting. 

Councillor Bateman is a great supporter of his local canal,, and usually visits the Explorer cruises at Wednesfield. He was trying to get mooring improvements at the Wyrley end  of the Bentley canal when we were there a few years back.

If you are in need of ideas for some boating, I highly recommend the Explorer cruises. Good fun, interesting and friendly.    Details on the BCNS website.

N

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

Councillor Bateman is a great supporter of his local canal,, and usually visits the Explorer cruises at Wednesfield. He was trying to get mooring improvements at the Wyrley end  of the Bentley canal when we were there a few years back.

If you are in need of ideas for some boating, I highly recommend the Explorer cruises. Good fun, interesting and friendly.    Details on the BCNS website.

N

And they really look after you if your bothered about being on the BCN. A good way to get a taste of it.

• Greenie 1

Well the Main Canal is the Wyrley and Essington part of the BCN. That section was called the Wednesfield Level before the stop lock at Horsleyfield Junction was removed. The boats look like they are at the junction with the Bentley Canal, but then other forms of transport are needed to follow that course. 

I went down the first 4 locks of the Bentley Canal in a 17ft wooden cruiser in 1974. We couldn't get through the next one as both top paddles were out of action. It wasn't long afterwards that the top 6 locks which survived closure of the rest of the canal were formally closed.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I went down the first 4 locks of the Bentley Canal in a 17ft wooden cruiser in 1974. We couldn't get through the next one as both top paddles were out of action. It wasn't long afterwards that the top 6 locks which survived closure of the rest of the canal were formally closed.

I have a few old Nicholson guides that mark the top six locks as being navigable. I didn't know anyone had actually done it though. 

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I have a few old Nicholson guides that mark the top six locks as being navigable. I didn't know anyone had actually done it though. 

My crew member on that occasion did it again a while later, along with some other BCNS bods - I think @pete harrison may have been amongst them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2021 at 11:59, BEngo said:

N

Excellent way of making new friends and discovering the BCN :)

• 8 months later...
On 27/09/2022 at 18:27, Dog said:

So, how is Mrs Trusselle now? Has she got over burning the birthday cake?

The Explorer cruise happened as planned, after traversing Wednesfield etc. they all turned up at Bradley just before the BCNS event there.

Here's a photo of the flotilla just after arrival.

IMG_20220512_131251_s.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...