Lee (Lea) and Stort Navigations

Muddy Waters

Featured Posts

Are there any, modern, guides to the Lee and Stort. The only guide I have is from 1965 and my memory is from boating there in the mid 70s - boat was based there by the ice cream "factory". 

I would like to boat to the end of the canal in Hartford by the pub if that is still possible.

Cheers in advance,

Muddy 

Edited by Muddy Waters

Loddon stuck his front end through the bridge by the Woolpack, end of navigation.

MY picture was taken at the top right, I nosed up to the Woolpack, but didnt go as far as Loddon as I had already lost solar lights and a planter off the roof at the last bridge!!

Screenshot_20211230-113210_Maps.jpg

1 hour ago, Muddy Waters said:

Are there any, modern, guides to the Lee and Stort. The only guide I have is from 1965 and my memory is from boating there in the mid 70s - boat was based there by the ice cream "factory". 

I would like to boat to the end of the canal in Hartford by the pub if that is still possible.

Cheers in advance,

Muddy 

The Nicholsons guide to the South East covers the Lee and Stort.

There was a GEO peojects map of these navigations but it doesn't seem to have been continued by Heron Maps

Edited by Tim Lewis

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Loddon stuck his front end through the bridge by the Woolpack, end of navigation.

Not forgetting that was in a boat that was "slightly" bigger than a narrowboat 🤭

It also got to the last Bridge on the Stort, past Godalming on the Wey and within 100yds of Hannington Bridge on the Thames. Missed out on the Basingstoke as it was shut that year ☹️

1 hour ago, Muddy Waters said:

Cheers for that, I always forget about the Nicholsons. I've only ever used the BWB guides and only just started using the Pearson guides.

But I have no idea where in Hertford the pictures are from.

Are the BWB guides the same as the Boating Guides that CaRT let you download? Up to date ones for the Lee and the Stort from http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

I find these a useful addition to Nicholson's for the latest information, particularly around opening times and such like.

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a Facebook account, join the Stort and Lea boaters group. I am on the Stort at the moment. It's my starting and finishing point for all my journeys. Is there particularly Anything I can help you with. ?

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Terryb said:

If you have a Facebook account, join the Stort and Lea boaters group. I am on the Stort at the moment. It's my starting and finishing point for all my journeys. Is there particularly Anything I can help you with. ?

I'd go as far as to say it's worth creating a Facebook account (maybe to delete later) to join the group. It's full of useful info and friendly folk with local knowledge. It's also useful in case you get into any trouble - good place to ask for help.