2022 boating plans

haggis

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Midnight said:

he big problem is all three Pennine Routes have a lot of locks which require a lot of maintenance - something which C&RT seem incapable of understanding preferring the "wait until it's completely f**ked approach.

I don't think that's fair.  There has been a hell of a lot spent on locks in the North over the last few years.  The trouble is a lot of infrastructure seems to be failing at the same time, time expired since cheap restoration work or just long term subsidence issues.  

The repair work they have been doing recently seems to be more proper long term fixes than quick bodge jobs, but there's only so many people and so much money they can throw at it each year.  

It just gets irritating when you set off on a route and then something breaks.

I wouldn't want them to close all the Northern canals and fix them all up to a fantastic standard over a few years without being able to use them though.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

And you won't regret it. We did it this year (2021) just wished we had stayed longer. Joining 'Friends of the Nene' and 'Great Ouse Boating Association' (GOBA) is wise. Facilities are scarce compared to C&RT waters but the natives are friendly.

Considering a lot of other rivers, moorings on the Great Ouse are not too bad. Quite a few water taps on the Ely section and boatyards on the Bedford to St Ives seem happy enough to let you use their water and elsan for free. For pumpouts there are only 3 EA ones, all on the lower part. St Ives and above you rely on boatyards.

We're one of those natives now!

For the past five years I've meticulously planned my year's cruising well in advance to maximise how much boating I can realistically do while holding down a full time job and having a family with two teenage kids who have interests other than going boating.

But that changes this year and not just because one of those kids ceases to be in teenager in March. By the end of that month I will no longer have a job so there will be plenty of time for boating. However Mrs P isn't impressed at my plans for a life of leisure while she will still be working and I've been told that I need to find work. Hence I'm currently exploring how I might make that work in my favour by combining earning and boating.

I'd like to get down to Oxford as I aborted that last year but have nothing firmer planned than the BCN 24 Hour Challenge in June which is provisionally to be preceded by another trip through Dudley Tunnel for which I've recruited some folk off the forum to do the legging. 

I  have some dates and journeys  in mind and will be confirming those early in the new year . Our usual combination of river and coastal. 

I hope to go further in retirement which is a couple of years away  if all goes to plan.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

North and South? The Locks inn at Gelderston lock is now a community pub.

Yes. Transiting Yarmouth and crossing Breydon is a must. We are starting at Richardsons Stalham.

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I don't think that's fair.  There has been a hell of a lot spent on locks in the North over the last few years.  The trouble is a lot of infrastructure seems to be failing at the same time, time expired since cheap restoration work or just long term subsidence issues.  

I agree breaches and lock wall collapses are expensive and take a long time, but if C&RT fixed the little issues like only one paddle etc there would be far fewer stoppages. They spent £3m+ fixing up Figure of Three but couldn't be arsed to fix the hydraulic on the offside gate on the bottom lock which had been broken for years. A £20 valve maybe? Another stoppage waiting to happen. So actually I think it is fair.

23 hours ago, Midnight said:

And you won't regret it. We did it this year (2021) just wished we had stayed longer. Joining 'Friends of the Nene' and 'Great Ouse Boating Association' (GOBA) is wise. Facilities are scarce compared to C&RT waters but the natives are friendly.

Sign up for the EA's flood alerts too, there can be frequent and lengthy 'SSA's' when navigation is stopped.

Current plan is to take the boat to be blacked in Maasbracht Netherlands at the end of March and possibly also get it painted. Return home and once the boat is ready go back and finally after two years cruise the remainder of our Schengen visa time on the Dutch waterways. This of course all depends on our being able to actually travel to Europe.

• Greenie 1

On 29/12/2021 at 18:26, Idle Days said:

We are going boating, somewhere; anywhere will be good. 

After considerable reflection and thought it seems our decision making is reduced to the question,  when we leave the marina on our grand summer tour; do we turn left or right?

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

After considerable reflection and thought it seems our decision making is reduced to the question,  when we leave the marina on our grand summer tour; do we turn left or right?

Go whichever way the locks are still working-decision made for you 😀

• Haha 1

My main aim in 2022 is to cross The Wash from Boston to Wisbech (using a pilot) and on the way tick off some more IWA Silver Propeller locations such as Cobblers Lock,Maud Foster,Black Sluice Navigation,Holme and Horseway Lock before returning to the Grand Union via The Nene 

Second aim is to fine some fine ale along the way......

Edited by Quaffer
  • Greenie 3

20 hours ago, Idle Days said:

I used to love those decisions, sometimes we chose on the toss of a coin, sometimes the wind made the decision for us.

• Greenie 1

We have no firm plans yet. I do have some legging through Dudley tunnel and a BCN Challenge on the plan.  If our office is going to remain closed then working more from the boat is on the cards with some extended cruising in between the working.

1 hour ago, jeddlad said:

Alas my biggest cruise will be to the boat broker.....Time to sell up amd move on. I don't feel sad about it......Yet.

As per my signature.