2022 boating plans

haggis

Featured Posts

On 30/12/2021 at 11:34, Midnight said:

Considering the rate at which it's been dropping to bits up here I suspect by summer it will be a completely new system. Cruising the northern canals is a bit like Russian roulette you know you'll get the bullet eventually but the odds are in your favour and there's usually an escape route. Unless you are really unlucky like Lady G and get stuck between two major problems. The big problem is all three Pennine Routes have a lot of locks which require a lot of maintenance - something which C&RT seem incapable of understanding preferring the "wait until it's completely f**ked approach. Looking on the bright side some of the locks have lots (and I mean lots) of nice blue signs - especially on the Aire & Calder.

Indeed there is a general surfeit of blue signs, the excess being tossed in to nearby fields, to be replaced by smart new signage. I assume this is not CRT policy, but serendipity,  following the general theme of the Northern Navigations. 

PS may I take this opportunity to remind boaters using the Elsan NOT to leave water running after emptying cassettes. Eventually, the tank will fill up, DAMHIK. 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

PS may I take this opportunity to remind boaters using the Elsan NOT to leave water running after emptying cassettes. Eventually, the tank will fill up, DAMHIK. 

Well if you have only seen one moving boat in 4 weeks, perhaps it is one of your neigbours, or you.....so leave a polite notice.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Well if you have only seen one moving boat in 4 weeks, perhaps it is one of your neigbours, or you.....so leave a polite notice.

Perhaps the fact that the elsan is full necessitates the now urgently required tow.  I wonder how often C&RT empty the elsan tanks. 

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just need to get out from winter mooring in marina. Getting fed up looking at boat next door. Don’t care where we go just get out on the cut. Been in here doing jobs that require being in a marina otherwise we are out on the cut 365 days a year. Sadly boat will be sold in early 2023 as we are to return to Goa India which is a main home after I retired me a Brit wife is half Irish half German born and brought up in India I know it sounds a heady mix but she is 100 % pukka Hindi speaking Indian. She loves the boat life but it will be time to rtn home plus I need a hip replaced and with NHS as it is I will be dead before getting it done here. 

On 02/01/2022 at 12:33, Chagall said:

Perhaps the fact that the elsan is full necessitates the now urgently required tow.  I wonder how often C&RT empty the elsan tanks. 

I understand there may have been two attempts to empty the tank, one before Xmas and one after, no success to date as far as I am aware. 

No longer my problem. 🙁

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, Senior Slaphead said:

Well I'm headed back up t'north.  Probably do the Ashby on the way, in June perhaps.  But that will be my only detour.  Gots to go up and stays up. 

Good luck with that 🍀

Edited by LadyG