2022 boating plans

haggis

Featured Posts

As we get nearer to 2022 we are giving thought to next year's plans. When we moved to a more northerly mooring, our intention was to do the Leeds and Liverpool again while I am still fit enough to work broad locks. We did the big ring - T & M, L & L , Trent and T & M several years ago and we loved the L & L but although we have been to Liverpool docks, we haven't done the rest again - it was often shut ! Will 2022 be the L & L year ? 

haggis 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Will 2022 be the L & L year ? 

Note that Eshton Road Lock latest update is a 16 week stoppage starting on the 12th January.  That's sounding later than the hoped for Easter opening to me.

We are not even getting a time estimate on the Rishton breach until next week, but that's not going to be a quick job either.

We said "Meh!" and dropped Wigan a couple of days ago before that shuts for three months.

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Note that Eshton Road Lock latest update is a 16 week stoppage starting on the 12th January.  That's sounding later than the hoped for Easter opening to me.

We are not even getting a time estimate on the Rishton breach until next week, but that's not going to be a quick job either.

We said "Meh!" and dropped Wigan a couple of days ago before that shuts for three months.

So not looking good for the L & L next year then 😞

The planned visit of some family members has been postponed until Sunday, so there is an outside chance I'll still be near Anderton if you come back this way on Saturday.   

I've laid in a couple of local beers that might suit Mr Haggis, just in case. 

The obvious problem in these matters is making sure the beer goes undrunk, until its intended recipient arrives...

8 hours ago, Tony1 said:

My dear Mr Mack, I did not refer to our charming Mrs Haggis, but rather her other half, the very kind Mr Haggis.

The gentleman very generously offered me the choice of two beers when we met last week, and scoundrel that I am, I do rather fear I chose the tastier of the two beverages.

However, I shall make up for this sin of greed and envy by offering Mr H the choice of two beers, and I shall drink whichever he rejects. 

We are in Castlefield and will set off on our return journey today. In true Street boating weather we have only had rain during the night.

Haggis

I've already planned mine. It's what helps me get through the winter months.

Staffs & Worcs to Stourport, River Severn, Severn Estuary from Sharpness to Bristol, K&A to Reading, Thames to Limehouse, Lee & Stort, then head back via London and the GU to the midlands. Possibly branching off up the Nene and doing the middle levels and/or crossing the Wash. 

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Well, for the first time we've just bought a gold licence so we'll see where that takes us. East Anglia is calling.

And you won't regret it. We did it this year (2021) just wished we had stayed longer. Joining 'Friends of the Nene' and 'Great Ouse Boating Association' (GOBA) is wise. Facilities are scarce compared to C&RT waters but the natives are friendly.

• Greenie 3

Bristol Floating Harbour in one direction and Sells Green in the other (Juno is moored at Dundas)

This is Juno's warm up for much greater adventures in 23, 24 and 25, including hopefully the Swansea Canal at Clydach, The Monmouth between Cwmbran and Newport, and perhaps to Stroud on a reopened canal from Saul

We ‘did’ the north of England a few years ago. We ‘want’ to do the north of England again in 22.

I read various comments stating that the north is either short of water of a lack of maintened assets therefore making passage rather difficult. Have I misunderstood or is it a go for our proposed plans?

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We ‘did’ the north of England a few years ago. We ‘want’ to do the north of England again in 22.

I read various comments stating that the north is either short of water of a lack of maintened assets therefore making passage rather difficult. Have I misunderstood or is it a go for our proposed plans?

Considering the rate at which it's been dropping to bits up here I suspect by summer it will be a completely new system. Cruising the northern canals is a bit like Russian roulette you know you'll get the bullet eventually but the odds are in your favour and there's usually an escape route. Unless you are really unlucky like Lady G and get stuck between two major problems. The big problem is all three Pennine Routes have a lot of locks which require a lot of maintenance - something which C&RT seem incapable of understanding preferring the "wait until it's completely f**ked approach. Looking on the bright side some of the locks have lots (and I mean lots) of nice blue signs - especially on the Aire & Calder.

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 3