New BSS Requirements

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Rather than clog-up the gas regulator thread I thought I'd start another thread dedicated to discussing the new requirements and changes.

Certainly "one change for the better"

DIY changes to the boat in between BSS tests has always been a concern as to ensuring continued compliance, particularly if any 'event' should require an inquiry as to 'the reasons why'.

I see that in the new requirements the examiners are having to record  details of all extinguishers and appliances (make and model) fitted at the time of the examination presumably to avoid "borrowing your mates" to pass the BSS.

The BSS will keep the records on their database for 6 years so as to be able to compare the fitted equipmement from one BSS to the next.

Screenshot (808).png

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Rather than clog-up the gas regulator thread I thought I'd start another thread dedicated to discussing the new requirements and changes.

Certainly "one change for the better"

DIY changes to the boat in between BSS tests has always been a concern as to ensuring continued compliance, particularly if any 'event' should require an inquiry as to 'the reasons why'.

I see that in the new requirements the examiners are having to record  details of all extinguishers and appliances (make and model) fitted at the time of the examination presumably to avoid "borrowing your mates" to pass the BSS.

The BSS will keep the records on their database for 6 years so as to be able to compare the fitted equipmement from one BSS to the next.

Screenshot (808).png

Do fire extinguishers have identifying numbers? I don't think they have so I can't see your theory working out. After all, a boater could have decided to upgrade extinguishers after the last visit, or he could have borrowed someone else's. Not sure if this change closes that loophole. 

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS will keep the records on their database for 6 years so as to be able to compare the fitted equipment from one BSS to the next.

Not sure how that will benefit anyone nor how ''borrowing you mates'' will be deterred.

Identification of make and model of some appliances may be a tall order .

46 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not sure how that will benefit anyone nor how ''borrowing you mates'' will be deterred.

Identification of make and model of some appliances may be a tall order .

Not only that but with no enforcement, what's the point?

So what if someone DIY fits their own new cooker and invalidates their RCD? Given the mindset of the DIY installer to be DIYing it at all, I can't image the threat of his BSS being invalidated putting him off. He knows no-one will check. 

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not only that but with no enforcement, what's the point?

So what if someone DIY fits their own new cooker and invalidates their RCD? Given the mindset of the DIY installer to be DIYing it at all, I can't image the threat of his BSS being invalidated putting him off. He knows no-one will check. 

The mindset of the DIY installer may be “if I do it myself, I know it’s done right.” 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

The mindset of the DIY installer may be “if I do it myself, I know it’s done right.” 

As well as saving money that's certainly been my mindset when I've completed various installations. I've never been failed by a BSS examiner on anything I've done over the last 17 years on this boat, but unfortunately I can't say the same about work that was done by a so called professional on a previous boat.

It depends on how competent one is, but with enough research, time and the right parts & equipment I know I can do most jobs as well as a professional tradesman. I just do it a lot slower which is fine.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps the new requirement is being introduced to make sure the examiner does in fact examine the appliances and the extinguishers .

I can't see it requires  the boat owner to do anything differently.

34 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Is this new? I had an appliance record for at least the two most recent BSCs, with the appliances, ventilation and fire extinguisher info on it. Possibly further back than that, except that  I can’t be bothered to go and dig the pre-electronic file out.

It used to be but when the format changed from 'getting a certificate to getting a receipt' and it all went on-line the appliance list was not used. It looks as if they are going back to what they used to have.

The only 'appliance list' on my 2019 BSSC  (It was the same on my 2015 BSSC so I dont know how you have got 'two recent BSSC showing the appliances)

Screenshot (814).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

31 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Is this new? I had an appliance record for at least the two most recent BSCs, with the appliances, ventilation and fire extinguisher info on it. Possibly further back than that, except that  I can’t be bothered to go and dig the pre-electronic file out.

Are you thinking of this?

image.png.1fec0b7d1fbe311b29a21538f7e44746.png

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

No, that’s the front page of the “certificate” receipt. This is from the separate appliance record document:

4E4B3486-7805-4A81-AEE6-7EEC52C11FF0.jpeg

Well, fancy that -I have never received 'that' page from my examiner.

He probably couldn't fill in the 'appliance;' list as he never moved from the saloon. The BSS took less than 15 minutes and he didn't even need to move out of the chair to do it.

All I got was "it had a BSS last time, I can see you have the new CO alarms so It'll pass again.

Edit to add :

I've gone back and found my electronic BSS certificate (which was introduced in 2015) and neither the 2015 or 2019 certiicates have that table - I wonder if your examiner was using up old paperwork ?

28 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

No, that’s the front page of the “certificate” receipt. This is from the separate appliance record document:

4E4B3486-7805-4A81-AEE6-7EEC52C11FF0.jpeg

I don't recall seeing that with my last two BSS certs from 2015 and 2020 . Not that it worries me.

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I don't recall seeing that with my last two BSS certs from 2015 and 2020 . Not that it worries me.

Dont worry - its not on my 2015 or 2019 certificates either.

Inconsistency between examiners - perish the thought !!

The 3-pages of my 2019 BSSC

Screenshot (816).png

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I’ve gone back and found my electronic BSS certificate (which was introduced in 2015) and neither the 2015 or 2019 certiicates have that table - I wonder if your examiner was using up old paperwork ?

No, electronic copy, separate document from the BSC itself, but arrived in the same email. Perhaps previously it was a working paper and is only now becoming mandatory?