A GRANDAD who built a giant whale-shaped boat to sail across the Atlantic says he’s considering selling it because he's too old.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was quibbling about the post saying the RCD applies when the boat is "used"... it doesn't. 

And yet, since 2017 the RCR applies to the boat for 'life'. Which is why there are increasing numbers of examples of surveyors and brokers raising the subject of non-compliance or non-availability of paperwork and requiring a PCA.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Does the RCD even have a section on manmade floating whales?

Good point. 

Were it mine I'd be claiming it needs no RCD, license etc because it is a fish not a boat.

(Cue a string of posts quibbling about whether a whale is a fish or not :D )

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And yet, since 2017 the RCR applies to the boat for 'life'. Which is why there are increasing numbers of examples of surveyors and brokers raising the subject of non-compliance or non-availability of paperwork and requiring a PCA.

You mean it's gone up from one to two? 

<Shock-horror>

People who buy used lumpy water boats are usually keen to see original paperwork and the CE plate and HIN  in place .

In part this is because used lumpy water boats may be traded internationally (although much less so now UK has left the EU). Our friends in the EU are possibly  more interested in paperwork than we are in the UK.  A UK lumpy water boat visiting the EU needs to have the  RCD and VAT paperwork in place. And the reverse is true.

It seems the appropriate paperwork is generally considered less important  when it comes to narrowboats . This is probably because narrowboats are not traded internationally  as they are so specifically designed for UK use.

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

People who buy used lumpy water boats are usually keen to see original paperwork and the CE plate and HIN  in place .

In part this is because used lumpy water boats may be traded internationally (although much less so now UK has left the EU). Our friends in the EU are possibly  more interested in paperwork than we are in the UK.  A UK lumpy water boat visiting the EU needs to have the  RCD and VAT paperwork in place. And the reverse is true.

It is also important for the boat to have a certificate from a mooring provider showing its location at 'Brexit hour' (11pm 31st December 2020) to avoid VAT problems in the future.

If you don't have one from Farndon marina it may be easier to try and get one now rather than 5, 10, or 20 years into the future. Example of one from one of our mooring providers

For UK canal boats only necessary if the owner was intending to use the boat on EU waters any time in the future, it is also relevant for any boaters who have their boat in Europe and intend to bring it back to the UK

Screenshot (806)_LI.jpg

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is also important for the boat to have a certificate from a mooring provider showing its location at 'Brexit hour' (11pm 31st December 2020) to avoid VAT problems in the future.

If you don't have one from Farndon marina it may be easier to try and get one now rather than 5, 10, or 20 years into the future. 

I asked the marina for that at the time but never received a response. But I have plenty of evidence that the boat was in the UK in 2020 and 2021 such as marina mooring fees , insurance certificates and river license records. 

There seems to be a great deal of uncertainty regarding the nature of evidence that is required, if any .  The same applies to everything really eg cars, caravans, motorhomes ,jewellery ......

Are we expected to prove where everything  we have in our luggage (including the suitcase) was on 31st Dec 2020 when we travel abroad ? I suspect not.

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

The same regulations apply regardless of whether a boat is used on inland waterways or on the sea.

Really? Assuming you are referring to RCD/RCR, then the biggie is that class D are self certified, so there’s a lot that gets through which doesn’t comply with the requirements.

If you are including other legislation, I have to ask how many inland boats carry a liferaft, a radar reflector, or even Colregs compliant navigation lights …

5 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Really? Assuming you are referring to RCD/RCR, then the biggie is that class D are self certified, so there’s a lot that gets through which doesn’t comply with the requirements.

If you are including other legislation, I have to ask how many inland boats carry a liferaft, a radar reflector, or even Colregs compliant navigation lights …

I am only referring to the RCD/RCR

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you don't have one from Farndon marina it may be easier to try and get one now rather than 5, 10, or 20 years into the future. Example of one from one of our mooring providers

For UK canal boats only necessary if the owner was intending to use the boat on EU waters any time in the future, it is also relevant for any boaters who have their boat in Europe and intend to bring it back to the UK

Alan

I think the potential VAT problem is less of an issue than was first thought and the whereabouts of the boat at the critical time and  date is not so critical after all - see below 

image.png.2d2ffaf357e492e8f6d3a0205ec02eba.png

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Ah yes the old sprayfoam fitout. I saw this done once on a narrow boat. You just get the man in to foam it out and don't bother to do any further lining out.

Quite an interesting approach. Gives a nice feeling of space. 

L0cck4pVvrccRxrshu_EvBFUitluYovpiQ-CiRUO