A GRANDAD who built a giant whale-shaped boat to sail across the Atlantic says he’s considering selling it because he's too old.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Tom McClean, 78, has already sailed around Britain in Moby - which cost him a whopping £100,000 to build - but fears time for the epic adventure is running out.

The former paratrooper, who was the first person to row solo across the North Atlantic, built the 62-tonne boat in 1996.

But after failing to find sponsors ever since, Tom said he is thinking about selling the boat.

He said: “In a nutshell, time’s come. I’m older now. We’re thinking of selling the boat or going in partnership with somebody for an adventure. 

“If there’s someone out there wants to buy the whale maybe I could do that. We could come to some agreement that I have some involvement, they own the boat and we do it together.

Scots grandad who built £100k whale boat to cross the Atlantic fears he will have to sell the craft (thescottishsun.co.uk)

The boat cost £100k to build

• Greenie 2

I do like a good Great British Eccentric, and this gentleman is a prime example of the species.

I don't think I'd trust that boat far outside the wall of Newhaven harbour. Of course, its mechanics and buoyancy may be impeccable.

“Not getting sponsorship” I wonder why? No I don’t. 
  Would look good moored on the canal in Little Venice as a Vegan cafe/Coffee boat run by a 50 year old wannabe hippie couple, who have worked in the City all their lives and now want people to think they care about the Planet and plastic pollution. That way it keeps them off the main Canal system in their brand new 65ft x 15ft Electric widebeam😊

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I do like a good Great British Eccentric, and this gentleman is a prime example of the species.

I don't think I'd trust that boat far outside the wall of Newhaven harbour. Of course, its mechanics and buoyancy may be impeccable.

I'm sure Alan will be along shortly to explain to this gentleman that he cannot sell his whale boat unless it has all the correct RCD documentation and approvals. And forgive my cynicism, but something makes me suspect it may not have!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I'm sure Alan will be along shortly to explain to this gentleman that he cannot sell his whale boat unless it has all the correct RCD documentation and approvals. And forgive my cynicism, but something makes me suspect it may not have!

I thought the offshore industry was strictly regulated according to A’de’E and all boats comply with current RCR and European legislation and as this Whale boat has sailed around the UK offshore it must comply surely? unlike the Mickey Mouse canal boats on the inland waters🐭🐳

• Greenie 1

Well, the whale was built in 1996, and it was not then a recreational craft, so I doubt the RCD applied.

One of his previous boats, not the ones he crossed the pond in, but one built to supply his adventure centre at Ardentinny or somewhere similar sounding in Jocksville, was built for him by Sam Springer.

N

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Well, the whale was built in 1996, and it was not then a recreational craft, so I doubt the RCD applied.

One of his previous boats, not the ones he crossed the pond in, but one built to supply his adventure centre at Ardentinny or somewhere similar sounding in Jocksville, was built for him by Sam Springer.

N

It must be pretty substantial at 62 ton, twice the weight of a fully fitted 60’ x 12’  widebeam 🐳🐳

6 hours ago, Athy said:

I'm not sure why the British think that they have a monopoly on eccentricity? I've seen them all over the world and they're not that different to the British variety. 

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I thought the offshore industry was strictly regulated according to A’de’E and all boats comply with current RCR and European legislation and as this Whale boat has sailed around the UK offshore it must comply surely? unlike the Mickey Mouse canal boats on the inland waters🐭🐳

Shame that trying to be a smart alec backfires and makes you look a total plonker instead.

Look at the dates !

You were never quite as clever as you thought you were in your previous 'lives' on the forum and you have got worse this time.,

Screenshot (606).png

• Greenie 2

A friend of mine rented a plot of land, purchased some steel, and constructed himself a seagoing yacht. I dunno if he got all the RCD stuff but he sailed it all over the place and was still very much alive last time we had a beer together.  For some people there is more to life than paperwork and regulations. 😀

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

N

Ardintigh, actually.  I have often looked across at his place on Loch Nevis when staying with Son No 1 in Knoydart.    Loch Nevis, BTW, in what you may refer to as Jockspeak, means 'Loch of Heaven', so whales do go to heaven.    http://www.outdoorcentrescotland.co.uk/

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Shame that trying to be a smart alec backfires and makes you look a total plonker instead.

Look at the dates !

You were never quite as clever as you thought you were in your previous 'lives' on the forum and you have got worse this time.,

Screenshot (606).png

Can you honestly not see when people are taking the P($$ out of you? like the other RCD/RCR post’s? 

I keep telling you I’ve never had previous lives on here.
  What’s your next non related Canal new’s Cut’N’Paste story going to be? Anything first hand or just tabloid news from yesterday?

Obviously I’m not the only one on here that laughs at your RCR obsession. Moby Dick head🐳

Edited by PD1964

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure why the British think that they have a monopoly on eccentricity? I've seen them all over the world and they're not that different to the British variety. 

I'm not sure that we do.

11 hours ago, PD1964 said:

The same regulations apply regardless of whether a boat is used on inland waterways or on the sea.

34 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The same regulations apply regardless of whether a boat is used on inland waterways or on the sea.

I'd argue ^^^this^^^ is twaddle.

The RCR/RCD comes into effect when the boat is "Brought to market". Nothing to do with when or where it is used. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I wasn’t really being serious with that post, looking at it I’d wonder how safe it was. I was basically taken the biscuit out of someone on here who seams obsessed with the offshore/canal RCR Regs, which obviously went over his head.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Self built boat, more than 5 years old...

Yep. As I said, comes into effect only when "brought to market".

The effect defined is the RCD of bringing to market more than five years after completion being that the builder is free to sell it, even if a death trap!

I was quibbling about the post saying the RCD applies when the boat is "used"... it doesn't. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Yep. As I said, comes into effect only when "brought to market".

The effect defined is the RCD of bringing to market more than five years after completion being that the builder is free to sell it, even if a death trap!

I was quibbling about the post saying the RCD applies when the boat is "used"... it doesn't. 

Does the RCD even have a section on manmade floating whales?