Another Sunk Boat.....Banbury

booke23

Featured Posts

At least it's within yards of Tooley's boatyard, so it should be possible to get necessary repairs done quickly. It would be worse if it was miles from anywhere. It looks like a liveaboard boat, I hope he's got somewhere warm and dry to stay in the interim.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

At least it's within yards of Tooley's boatyard, so it should be possible to get necessary repairs done quickly. It would be worse if it was miles from anywhere. It looks like a liveaboard boat, I hope he's got somewhere warm and dry to stay in the interim.

Tooleys can put in on the "todo" list, they just need to refloat and restore the sunk one opposite first 😀

• Greenie 3

14 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Not surprised. We deliberately didn’t moor near it earlier on this year. That generator was echoing off the walls the whole time. Mess everywhere. ( it’s where it was then in sept). We were forced into banbury last week to the bank and could hear the generator as we walked in to town.

Oh Really.....gotta love a frame generator, especially in the middle of a built up area. 

Perhaps, driven to the point of despair, someone drilled a hole in it at the waterline. Not that I would condone such behaviour. 

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

Another sunk boat at bridge 211 on the Trent and Mersey. Moored beside a grp which looks unloved. Didn't get a number but will look on our way back down. Small green boat might be a Springer .

I seem to recall that’s been there (afloat) quite some time.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It looks to be a disaster in the making - not even got a valid BSSC so probably no insurance cover.

Maybe time CaRT got a bit more heavy handed and clamped down on boats like this😱most boaters wouldn’t have a problem if they did and were honest with what they thought😱

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

So it was going to happen if he knew about it and did noting about it glad dogs safe 

Obviously as there probably wasn’t enough wind or solar to recharge the batteries to keep the bilge pump running 24/7 or the generator he ran all night ran out of gas so had no 240v for the battery charger 🐶🐶

Edited by PD1964

Milliput has kept my boats floating after issues in the past. As has a bolt and large washer, concrete, and on one occasion my sock, hammered in with a caulking iron from above.

The cat once found a leak under the floors. It could hear the trickling which we could not find.  I was able to lift the floor put down some felt and put a paving slab on the top.

Living on a composite butty with 35 year old footings was always exciting.

• Greenie 4

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As far as I know, Tooley's only do repairs for a full market rate. 

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

With his comment, I expect Athy was imagining all the repair costs at Tooleys would be met by the chap's comprehensive insurance policy.

After all every boat on the cut has insurance, doesn't it? 

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

Even if it did have insurance, looking at the state of it, and the obviously poor condition (it has been remaining afloat only by pumping & it has now sunk) it was probably only insured 3rd party as Fully-Comp would not be obtainable.

Any insurance it did have was probably voided due the the BSSC being invalidated, any boat without insurance or a BSS can have its licence revoked.

14 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't doubt it. But it looks as if proper professional repairs are required - the boat has gone beyond the stage at which a quick bodge will suffice.

14 hours ago, MtB said:

With his comment, I expect Athy was imagining all the repair costs at Tooleys would be met by the chap's comprehensive insurance policy.

Well, I certainly hope that he has comprehensive insurance, as I don't think that third-party would cover the boat's recovery and repair.

Could someone perhaps put the owner in touch with a good scrap merchant in the area?