Nearly 100,000 following Jamie’s narrowboat restoration dream

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Nearly 100,000 following Jamie’s narrowboat restoration dream | Shropshire Star

Jamie Cameron is a grounds worker from Madeley, Telford who in March 2020, took the decision to buy an historic narrowboat to convert and eventually call home.

The boat is currently out of the water at Caggys Boatyard in Tipton while it undergoes work to narrow it.

Originally, Jamie had saved up money in hopes of buying a house near to his mum, however an increase from a 10 per cent deposit to 20 per cent priced him out.

It was at this point he decided to spend £10,000 on an historic narrowboat in need of some TLC.

"It is currently out the water, I tried to go through a lock and I was too wide, so I have taken the cabin off and will narrow the boat.

Jamie Cameron works on the historic boat with his Cane Corso dog, Drago

• Greenie 1

Just now, Athy said:

Narrowing a boat can't be a small job. How is it done?

Longtitudinal cut down the base plate, remove "X" inches, reweld the two-halves together.

Going to leave things like engine mounts all 'to cock', fuel tanks and water tanks to join back up all sorts of problems.

It would have cost far less to save up the extra 10% he needed for the deposit on a house and then he would at least have an appreciating asset.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Narrowing a boat can't be a small job. How is it done?

If you look behind the chap, he is using chains and ratchets to draw the sides in.

Let's just hope it wasnt one of the oversize hoppers used on the BCN main line.....

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Longtitudinal cut down the base plate, remove "X" inches, reweld the two-halves together.

I thought of that, but it sounded so difficult and laborious that I thought no, surely not.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you look behind the chap, he is using chains and ratchets to draw the sides in.

Yes, I've heard of that being done (and seen some boats which have such chains). But "work to narrow it" suggested something more structural.

If it’s wide because the chains haven’t been in it’s easy enough to pull it in and then put up frames. We got Atalanta n from about 7’3 to about 7’1 . Then made up A frames to hold it in which we bolted to the bearers for the cross beams.

Of course it was worse round the mast. Fortunately she wasn’t twisted over her length, which can cause a banana shape jamming you in locks.

We got her from Oxford canal impossible ( and banned)  to now being based on there. But I’m not sure when she last moved.

Cutting a fillet out would be challenge because they are wide across decks and bulkheads, not like cutting down a box and rejoining.

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Going to leave things like engine mounts all 'to cock', fuel tanks and water tanks to join back up all sorts of problems.

It would have cost far less to save up the extra 10% he needed for the deposit on a house and then he would at least have an appreciating asset.

It looks like a conventional narrow base plate, not a BCN straight side hull so it will "only" need pulling in at the gunwales and framing off the base to hold it. It will make fitting out and walking through the boat a bit tricky though.

Yes in order to not have to put the chains in we had steel a frames off the gunnels and triangular gussets at the end of the back cabin bulkhead, and in the mast area.

( under cloth conversation) .

Cutting out a strip and narrowing would be some task, can’t imagine shifting a 70 foot length of hull side and bottom to get parallel again, not to mention how thick the bottom is by now, then cutting out decks bulkheads and beams.

If he is planning a very trad liveaboard conversion (undercloth with back cabin etc etc) then its great. If its going to be just another bog standard liveaboard then I don't think an old riveted hull is the way to go, a brand new modern shell would make more sense. A fair few people think an old hull is a cheap way to get into boating, a few even think an old wooden hull is the route to low cost boating. 🤣