Withdrawal symptoms.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

A windy night,so thought I had better go down to my mooring to check the ropes,and then remembered,I've just sold my boat!

I would like another,but with my budget and the price of used boats at present I am unlikely to find what I want.

Had two grp boats and one steel narrowboat and would like another steel narrowboat,but I think only old/knackered ones will be the only ones within my budget.

Read the posts on here about corrosion and mic, and although interesting, rather worrying too.

Fibreglass seems the most logical option for me,but a steel narrowboat is the most suitable boat for canals,whereas fibeglass boats have several drawbacks.

There are not that many 6'-10" fibreglass cruisers about,and fibreglass narrowboats (Dawncraft Rover,Crusader,Fibreline,) are very rare.

There are lots of reasonably priced widerbeam grp cruisers available,but are no use to me on narrow canals. Too wide,too deep,too high,and no weedhatch unless outboard powered.

Will wait untill boat prices come down a bit,(ha ha I hear you say) and be prepared to drive all over the country in search of my next boat.

Happy Christmas everyone.😃

Due to work commitments and our geographical location, owning our own boat wasn't practical so we had to wait until I retired but that gave us time to pay off most of the mortgage so when we sold the house we had a massive budget. We bought our 58ft 6ins for less than £60k and have a nice fat cushion to keep us going if needed. As our day to day living cost are so much less than in our house the only money we've spent (since buying the boat, paying licence, insurance etc) has been from our joint income

We are quote the opposite at the minute and not missing one bit the worry about storms, wind, rain, flood, cold, ice, etc.

It's quite nice having the van tucked behind the house, sheltered from the weather and a couple of steps away if we need to check anything.

Much less hassle and much less worry😀

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are quote the opposite at the minute and not missing one bit the worry about storms, wind, rain, flood, cold, ice, etc.

It's quite nice having the van tucked behind the house, sheltered from the weather and a couple of steps away if we need to check anything.

Much less hassle and much less worry😀

I do agree that owning a boat is a headache. However one balances the pleasure cruising the cut brings,with the hassle of owning a boat,and for me (at present) the pleasure outweighs the headache.

I gave up motorbikes after about fifty years of riding because in the last two years of biking I was knocked off twice.Both times I got the same excuse from the car driver,known in biking circles as a SMIDSY  (sorry mate,I didn't see you)

Driving the car I find a pain because of crowded roads,and only use it to get around when necessary.

I can see a time when the hassle of owning a boat will outweigh the pleasure, (increased costs,more regulation,lack of maintainance of the infrastructure,more boating traffic) if these become too objectionable,then I will look for another hobby.

At present,I find things ok,not perfect but quite livable with so hopefully I have got a few more years boating in me.

• Greenie 1