Steam Whistle

jaime66

Featured Posts

On our boat, not yet - it can be done though! The whistles on early electric locomotives and on the London Underground to the present day are all operated by air pressure.

We rather fancy the type of siren whistle fitted to WWII destroyers - that would waken the lockies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_al9owcieHQ

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

On our boat, not yet - it can be done though! The whistles on early electric locomotives and on the London Underground to the present day are all operated by air pressure.

We rather fancy the type of siren whistle fitted to WWII destroyers - that would waken the lockies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_al9owcieHQ

And Stuka dive bombers.

There was also a whistling dipstick, and I don't mean the dustman or the postman but on an old 100 year old car, a Standard I think. The bottom of the whistle tube was submenged in the engines sump oil to a certain depth like an ordinary dipstick. When the oil level fell and exposed the whistles bottom tube crankcase pressure blew the whistle to warn the driver. Who needs all the modern electronic tomfoolery.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

There was also a whistling dipstick, and I don't mean the dustman or the postman but on an old 100 year old car, a Standard I think. The bottom of the whistle tube was submenged in the engines sump oil to a certain depth like an ordinary dipstick. When the oil level fell and exposed the whistles bottom tube crankcase pressure blew the whistle to warn the driver. Who needs all the modern electronic tomfoolery.

Dont forget the vacuum whistle that was plumbed into the inlet manifold just like the screen wipers with a piece of string to sound it

image.png.f2599559f140fadd0175db75de6b205c.png

image.png.fae68a3b631908411f26d80cea9dddb9.png