Not the best place you park your car when going off boating.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Car owner blocks in lifeboat then calls for help - Marine Industry News

Yesterday, the owner of a car and trailer who blocked in the RNLI Calshot lifeboat while they went out on the water, later called for help from the same lifeboat station.

The “inconsiderate” member of the public parked their car, with the trailer attached, in a yellow box in front the clearly marked shed housing RNLI Calshot’s Atlantic 85 Class lifeboat.

Calshot lifeboat station only has two lifeboats, the Atlantic 85 and a smaller D-Class inshore lifeboat, meaning that this selfish act left half the station’s fleet unavailable to respond to emergency calls.

The RNLI managed to track down the owner of the car, who was out on the water, but when they tried to come back in, they got into difficulty and had to request the assistance of the Calshot lifeboat.

According to Hampshire Live, a spokesperson said: “The ideal asset to launch would have been the Atlantic 85 – the asset blocked into the shed, instead we needed to launch our D Class lifeboat ‘Willett’ to assist.

RNLI-Calshot.jpg

Yes what a plonker.

However I've been down there quite a lot and it would be surprisingly easy to do as the main lifeboat station is behind the photographer in the above picture and there are boats on trailers seemingly strewn all over the place. Although it has yellow hatching, it is painted such that it looks like parking spaces for cars and trailers!  

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, booke23 said:

Yes what a plonker.

However I've been down there quite a lot and it would be surprisingly easy to do as the main lifeboat station is behind the photographer in the above picture and there are boats on trailers seemingly strewn all over the place. Although it has yellow hatching, it is painted such that it looks like parking spaces for cars and trailers!  

I did wonder about the 'hatching', normally it would be painted like a box junction is. 

8 hours ago, booke23 said:

Although it has yellow hatching, it is painted such that it looks like parking spaces for cars and trailers!  

But most car drivers understand it's not ok to park in front of doors or gates which access buildings. 

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There are two signs on the building. I wonder what they say ?

Seems like better signage and better markings on the yard may be required . 

Yes since it could be a matter of life or death it seems odd they don't have large signs for idiots.

Edited by blackrose

People are so quick to judge on these things, I expect the driver didn't see the sign high up or to the left or right or understand the door , and TBH there are simply too many signs everywhere telling us all what to do. as stated the parking lines do go up to the door though its not brilliant parking.

Perhaps they left their partner pets or children in the boat that was launched who weren't overly confident and was in a rush.  

I doubt that such matters will be considered, and the driver merely castigated without the authorities considering what they could have done differently.

Parking is often increasingly difficult in resorts, even at this time of year. Parking eye and other alleged theives parking management systems with the support of government and councils  now seem to rule (With yet more signs)  

At least all was well.

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am sure that you'd be just as understanding if your family was 'lost' at sea because they couldn't launch the lifeboat.

As a nation we seem to be very quick to find excuses for stupidity - I reckon it comes back to the 'fad' that there are no winners or losers, everyone is equal and we can do whatever we want.

Let he who has never done anything stupid and not realised too late what they had done, cast the first castigation . . . 

5 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Poor article, "inconsiderate" and "selfish" used a lot. They haven't established an intention to block the lifeboat, just an intention to park where they did. At best, you can say they were a bit stupid.

SAD: Not Just the January Blues – In Good Health – Central New York's  Healthcare Newspaper

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am sure that you'd be just as understanding if your family was 'lost' at sea because they couldn't launch the lifeboat.

As a nation we seem to be very quick to find excuses for stupidity - I reckon it comes back to the 'fad' that there are no winners or losers, everyone is equal and we can do whatever we want.

No excuse for stupidly. I'd simply question who is the stupidee.....the guy for parking there, or the powers that be (I'm pretty sure the RNLI don't own the land in front of their boathouse) for painting what look a lot like parking bays for cars and trailers, rather than proper hatching. Especially when life depends on it. 

• Unimpressed 1

2 minutes ago, booke23 said:

No excuse for stupidly. I'd simply question who is the stupidee.....the guy for parking there, or the powers that be (I'm pretty sure the RNLI don't own the land in front of their boathouse) for painting what look a lot like parking bays for cars and trailers, rather than proper hatching. Especially when life depends on it. 

Oh, go on find someone else to blame for the driver being a complete numpty.  He has to be responsible for his actions, end of.

If It had been me trying to get the boat out his whole rig would have been dragged out of the way.  Had this once years ago when a loon parked his Jag across my garage forecourt entrance. Fortunately we had a Land Rover wrecker with girders on the front. I shoved it sideways out into the road. The side of his Jag gained some new coachlines in relief and his tyres were a bit D shaped. He started to complain on his return, changed his mind when I and 4 hairy, greasy mechanics and an excessively large German Shepherd dog explained the error of his ways to him. 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Car park markings are done in white paint not yellow!
I think you might need to go and get your eyes tested!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, booke23 said:

Nope, the guys a lazy knob. Tons of proper parking at this time of year

The hatching is clearly the access for lifeboat from shed to slip, and the letters are quite clear....NO PARKING and KEEP CLEAR.

20211221_152922.jpg

Screenshot_20211221-152512_Maps.jpg

• Greenie 3

Thanks to Matty's investigative journalism, I am also now going with "probably a knob".

Had one such person at an office I worked in last year. Person (of another business) would park at the entrance to the small parking lot, which accommodated about eight cars. Regularly, after being told to move it each time. It was a BMW.

I can't help thinking that wouldn't be an immovable object for a lifeboat crew in dire need of launching their larger craft. I suspect they must ultimately have deemed the smaller vessel suitable and was obviously quicker to deploy. Almost a shame as it would only have needed something to cut off or forcibly remove the trailer and to test the suspension of the car with a good bouncing across the tarmac. I don't think the owner would have any grounds for complaint for 'reasonable' damage occurred in the response to an emergency.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Oh, go on find someone else to blame for the driver being a complete numpty.  He has to be responsible for his actions, end of.

If It had been me trying to get the boat out his whole rig would have been dragged out of the way.  Had this once years ago when a loon parked his Jag across my garage forecourt entrance. Fortunately we had a Land Rover wrecker with girders on the front. I shoved it sideways out into the road. The side of his Jag gained some new coachlines in relief and his tyres were a bit D shaped. He started to complain on his return, changed his mind when I and 4 hairy, greasy mechanics and an excessively large German Shepherd dog explained the error of his ways to him. 

A charge of criminal damage trumps a civil claim for trespass so I would not count on being so lucky next time. Just have to hope that the Jag owner is not a lawyer (esepcially a barrcak room one) or a high court judge in mufti!