Footage of GU Boats Inc Ovaltine boats at Stony Stratford from Talking Pictures TV programme

frangar

Featured Posts

This programme was shown on TPTV last night. The footage of Stony Stratford begins at 21min 10sec. You may need to register/log in to watch

Its an amateur film shot on 16mm so unlikely to be seen before

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Footage-Detectives-and-Lost-Dickie-Henderson-Show?id=c7db4ef3-4792-402c-b600-378ca4963d4e

The footage of boats starts around 23.25

I found it very interesting all the way through....I think its just after WW2 but Im sure someone else might be able to date it more readily.

You can always send your comments in to the channel!

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, frangar said:

This programme was shown on TPTV last night. The footage of Stony Stratford begins at 21min 10sec. You may need to register/log in to watch

Its an amateur film shot on 16mm so unlikely to be seen before

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/Video/Footage-Detectives-and-Lost-Dickie-Henderson-Show?id=c7db4ef3-4792-402c-b600-378ca4963d4e

The footage of boats starts around 23.25

I found it very interesting all the way through....I think its just after WW2 but Im sure someone else might be able to date it more readily.

You can always send your comments in to the channel!

There is a very special boat shown at 28 minutes 🙂

3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Hagley is heading back to looking something like that again, with an under-cloths conversion. To make it mobile an engine will be fitted, which has necessitated a change to the cabin profile, more like that of a motor. I believe the cloths are now back on. too. I was thinking, although not an original pair, this must be one of the very few pairings left still extant involving a Big Ricky (and of course its original motor Hadley is still around too - saw it this September on the T&M).

Alec

IMG_5091.jpeg

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

Hagley is heading back to looking something like that again, with an under-cloths conversion. To make it mobile an engine will be fitted, which has necessitated a change to the cabin profile, more like that of a motor. I believe the cloths are now back on. too. I was thinking, although not an original pair, this must be one of the very few pairings left still extant involving a Big Ricky (and of course its original motor Hadley is still around too - saw it this September on the T&M).

Alec

IMG_5091.jpeg

Fulbourne passing Hagley at Puttenham in 2006

274 GU Aylesbury Arm 11th February 2006.JPG

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

To make it mobile an engine will be fitted, which has necessitated a change to the cabin profile, more like that of a motor.

Why does the presence of an engine require the cabin profile to be changed? My father once owned ex Thomas Clayton butty Leam (now sadly broken up) which had an engine fitted in the back cabin, which retained it's original shape. The was a reasonable amount of room inside as I recall.

25 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Fulbourne passing Hagley at Puttenham in 2006

That was when my paintwork was still largely intact!

I made the 'ellum in the back garden at our previous house, copying the remains of the original and re-using the ironwork. I had never signwritten anything before and I make no claims as to it being great, but at least it was legible. I sold my share due to other commitments and since then progress has stalled until recently (all the owners have had families since then and also all bought other boats). It has been maintained structurally in the meantime, with a few new planks having gone in and blacking as needed. The cabin is pretty recent (this year) and I believe since that picture was taken the cloths are now on, over boards for an under-cloths conversion.

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why does the presence of an engine require the cabin profile to be changed? My father once owned ex Thomas Clayton butty Leam (now sadly broken up) which had an engine fitted in the back cabin, which retained it's original shape. The was a reasonable amount of room inside as I recall.

I believe the current owners want to have a back cabin, with the engine forward of this. That means the shaft under the floor and they want reasonable headroom. If you leave the tumblehome right for that then it gets very narrow at the stern end. Ice boat conversions end up with the same problem.

Sorry, somewhat hijacking this very interesting thread!

Alec

58 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Unless you go for a hydraulic drive with a drive unit and prop mounted in the rudder. That leaves full headroom in the cabin.

Yes, that's what I have on Oates and it works nicely, but the current owners of Hagley have decided to go for a conventional shaft drive.

Alec