Finding uncommon BMC water pump

Johnjoe

Featured Posts

Hi, I've found this forum very helpful for years but this is the first time I've posted. I've read through previous posts and am pretty sure I'm not asking something already answered.

Basically, the water pump on my BMC 1.5 needs replacing. The pulley is four hole and I think it's a 60mm impeller (based on depth measurements of the pump given on BMC Farina.) But unlike anything I can find online, the casting also contains a strut that runs to support the alternator pivot bolt. I'm guessing it's quite an early version and was actually built for a dynamo and that later models built for an alternator had the mounting further back and fixed directly onto the block.

Anyway, I may have found a  chandlery with something similar but if not ASAP know nothing about this variant and I haven't seen anything online. In theory I could mount the correct pump without the extra supports and get something welded to hold the alternator but this is on my home so I was hoping to limp on  with the old pump and then just swap out with a new one.

Any clues who might stock one?

Cheers

Also it seem smaller diameter impellers work as well in the larger apertures as smaller ones so the 60mm may not be that vital.

From memory it is the rear bracket that is moved to accept an alternator, not the front (water pump) one. This is true for the AC, ACR ane A127 range.

Massive apologies, I've started on here as a timewaster. What with confined space and mild panic about potentially having no power I didn't correctly examine all the mounting holes and mine is  bog standard as ASAP, etc sell in that regard, all of which have an extra hole to fit alternator . Assuming I'm right about  it being a four hole pulley (and I don't think i can get that wrong) 60 mm impeller I'm laughing. Thanks for the speedy answers and sorry for being an idiot,

John joe

• Greenie 2

56 minutes ago, Johnjoe said:

Massive apologies, I've started on here as a timewaster. What with confined space and mild panic about potentially having no power I didn't correctly examine all the mounting holes and mine is  bog standard as ASAP, etc sell in that regard, all of which have an extra hole to fit alternator . Assuming I'm right about  it being a four hole pulley (and I don't think i can get that wrong) 60 mm impeller I'm laughing. Thanks for the speedy answers and sorry for being an idiot,

John joe

No time wasted.  There are days when I can't be sure what I did 50 years ago, why I did it, or who it was done for.

You will buy it MUCH cheaper from a motor factors,like around £12 to £20

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

And quiet possibly identical but without seeing it virtually impossible to know for sure.

Not gospel but I suspect that the Riley/wolseley 1.5 B series petrol engine would be the same pump. If you can find an old Quinton  Hazell catalogue or similar it may prove instructive.

40 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not gospel but I suspect that the Riley/wolseley 1.5 B series petrol engine would be the same pump. If you can find an old Quinton  Hazell catalogue or similar it may prove instructive.

My thoughts exactly except I was thinking Austin A60/Morris Oxford. Pity scrap yards are not full of B series engines like they once were.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

My thoughts exactly except I was thinking Austin A60/Morris Oxford. Pity scrap yards are not full of B series engines like they once were.

I thought of the A60 farina but remembered that it was a 1622cc engine. The older A55 maybe the same pump? I have found the QH catalogue on line, I will browse.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I thought of the A60 farina but remembered that it was a 1622cc engine. The older A55 maybe the same pump? I have found the QH catalogue on line, I will browse.

Yes, but I am almost sure they used the same pump as the 1500 B series.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, but I am almost sure they used the same pump as the 1500 B series.

May be.  The QH catalogue no longer gives the vehicle type just the maker. But from there I have gleaned that  Qcp 556 is a 72mm impeller and that Qcp738 is a 63mm impeller. they both look the same and have similar gaskets. Now we need to reference them to the vehicle they were used on.  Is the 1.8D the same pump?

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

May be.  The QH catalogue no longer gives the vehicle type just the maker. But from there I have gleaned that  Qcp 556 is a 72mm impeller and that Qcp738 is a 63mm impeller. they both look the same and have similar gaskets. Now we need to reference them to the vehicle they were used on.  Is the 1.8D the same pump?

No idea - long after my time on the tools. With the different timing cover I rather suspect not but can't be sure.

34 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No idea - long after my time on the tools. With the different timing cover I rather suspect not but can't be sure.

Yes, the bottom bolt is that half on the pump and half on the chain cover on the 1.8D. Can' remember exactly what it is on the 1.5D, brain fade with the tumour.

34 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, the bottom bolt is that half on the pump and half on the chain cover on the 1.8D. Can' remember exactly what it is on the 1.5D, brain fade with the tumour.

From an early 1960's  Brown Brothers catalogue [ remember those ] the Quinton Hazell part number was QCP 178 and the water pump was fitted to the following vehicles :-

Austin A55 Cambridge 

Austin A60

Austin J2 1959 onwards petrol and diesel

Austin J4 1960 onwards   ''

MGA 1961-62

MG Magnette 1961-66

Morris Oxford 1959 -62

Morris J2 van petrol and diesel 

Riley 4/72 1961 onwards

Wolseley 15/60 1959-62.

There are probably others and I believe over the years the part number may have changed 

I

• Greenie 1

Thanks for all the help. Weirdly the marina next to me, that doesn't normally stock  engine parts, had one and the exact type as well so i splashed out £50 and it's on and run happily for two hours with no leaking. Know that i now look like a southern loads-of-money fool but it was important to me to get it sorted immediately, especially with Christmas disruption looming.

To this end I'm adding a link to the BMC -farina site which shows how to tell impellor size from the outside of pump. It was going to be a problem for me having to dismantle the pump to find this out before I could  order one. They also have dimensions for the 70mm but basically the smaller impellor has more depth to it. https://www.bmcfarina.com/contents/en-uk/p702_Water-Pump-Small-(60mm)-Impellor.html then click on "more" and it shows the measurement.

57 minutes ago, Johnjoe said:

Thanks for all the help. Weirdly the marina next to me, that doesn't normally stock  engine parts, had one and the exact type as well so i splashed out £50 and it's on and run happily for two hours with no leaking. Know that i now look like a southern loads-of-money fool but it was important to me to get it sorted immediately, especially with Christmas disruption looming.

To this end I'm adding a link to the BMC -farina site which shows how to tell impellor size from the outside of pump. It was going to be a problem for me having to dismantle the pump to find this out before I could  order one. They also have dimensions for the 70mm but basically the smaller impellor has more depth to it. https://www.bmcfarina.com/contents/en-uk/p702_Water-Pump-Small-(60mm)-Impellor.html then click on "more" and it shows the measurement.

Excellent find. So same gasket for both, the shorter 43mm nose pulley is the large 70mm impeller. I must try to remember that.

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Excellent find. So same gasket for both, the shorter 43mm nose pulley is the large 70mm impeller. I must try to remember that.

I suspect the set back on the pulley may be different so the belt is still inline but if only we could get the dimensions.

So, according to what was reported in a previous thread that Calcutt said, as long as you get the correct pulley the small diameter impeller works  in the large impeller aperture. I can't confirm this is correct but it might be useful as these things get more and mroe difficult to find.