Mulled wine

LadyG

Featured Posts

Just poured a glass of mulled wine, Morrissons The Best, quite strong, a bit sugar sweet for me, but I added a  tingle of fresh clementine juice with rind also lemon with rind, its quite good.

My own recipe for family gatherings has a bit of water added, and honey as sweetener, plus cloves, caraway, cardamon, other spices, zest of lemon, zest of orange for bitterness. Best to keep spices in a cheesecloth, as the caraway seeds in particular are difficult to remove. Or strain before serving. It's a great drink on the right occasion. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Mulling wine seems to me to be an excellent way of ruining a good drink. 

Not normally the best wine  of burgundy provenance, aged in American oak, hint of chocolate and a long finish. 

Its a glass of spiced red wine, at best, of Californian origin, with real zest of citrus, cinnamon and cloves, served on a cold day to warm you up. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Mulling wine seems to me to be an excellent way of ruining a good drink. 

Indeed, but only if you start with a good drink.  Most wine sold as a base for mulling  could not so be described !

Southern France or Spanish  plain  leftovers mainly, from producer where  volume is the key criterion.

N

No no, just had the one glass when I posted, I did try a second glass with different additions, but not quite so cheery. 

At college we sometimes added a splosh of vodka to the mix, but we were younger, and not so wise...... 

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

No no, just had the one glass when I posted, I did try a second glass with different additions, but not quite so cheery. 

At college we sometimes added a splosh of vodka to the mix, but we were younger, and not so wise...... 

I had to go to the dentist to have a Wisdom tooth put in. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I had to go to the dentist to have a Wisdom tooth put in. 

I went to the doctor and said "Doctor, I keep thinking I'm a dog". 

Doctor said take a seat. I said "I can't". Doctor said "Why on earth not?"

I said "I'm not allowed on the furniture....

• Haha 1

On 19/12/2021 at 15:34, LadyG said:

Just poured a glass of mulled wine, Morrissons The Best, quite strong, a bit sugar sweet for me, but I added a  tingle of fresh clementine juice with rind also lemon with rind, its quite good.

My own recipe for family gatherings has a bit of water added, and honey as sweetener, plus cloves, caraway, cardamon, other spices, zest of lemon, zest of orange for bitterness. Best to keep spices in a cheesecloth, as the caraway seeds in particular are difficult to remove. Or strain before serving. It's a great drink on the right occasion. 

sounds good , particularly when adding vodka. As a variation use irish whiskey - in fact, cut out the middle man and chuck all ingredients straight into the porta-potti except the whiskey, and just drink the Jamesons

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jerra said:

No No No preferably Laphroaig.

We bought my son a whisky-tasting course for his 18th birthday -- or was it 21st, I can't remember for sure. The guy running it was asking people what kind of taste they preferred, suggesting that they start off on something relatively smooth to get used to it.

"Have you got anything like Laphroaig but with more flavour?", he asks... 😉

That might have been where he discovered Octomore, all I know is he wasn't making much sense by the time he got home...

Edited by IanD

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If you like Laphroaig try Ardbeg, all the peat with more depth of other flavours, it's special 

I have had Ardbeg but keep returning to Laphroaig, or as a serving boy (he didn't look older than 18)  when we finally directed him to the right bottle "Oh that's what its called, I call it Lap rag".

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

I thought Whiskey had an e unless it was Scotch.

That’s what I thought too but Interestingly it seems not. Mostly Irish and USA whiskies have the e in them. Many others don’t including those from Canada and England 

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/ask-the-professor/12991/whisky-or-whiskey-why-the-two-spellings/

I did have a bottle of Lagavulin Select last year which was very smooth. 

Not tried any whisky  this winter,, just no taste for it at the moment. 

I've bought a bottle of half decent brandy, ie travelled through the Cognac province, albeit on the back of a lorry, its more versatile for cooking, ie adding to Christmas cake, mince pies etc. 

Edited by LadyG