Android mobile phone Kaput

swift1894

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

I’ve ordered a new Android as my current one won’t switch on anymore due to being dropped. Are all my photos on my SIM card or somewhere in the in the phone’s memory?

Depends on the phone software and where you set them to be stored -- nowadays it's usually on the phone.

If you use Google Photos or back up to a Gmail account like I do, they'll be stored on the web too.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

I’ve ordered a new Android as my current one won’t switch on anymore due to being dropped. Are all my photos on my SIM card or somewhere in the in the phone’s memory?

They aren't on the SIM card: those have very little memory. They MIGHT be on an SD-card if you have one installed and configured the phone to use it. They might be backed up in The Cloud if you use Google Photos or similar.

MP.

Even if you hate Google and everything thay stand for, setting up the phone with a gmail account (created just for the purpose, if you don't want it for anything else) so your photos are backed up is a good idea. As well as meaning you can see them from other devices like laptop/computer/tablet, when you fall into the canal with the phone in your pocket and have to buy a new one they magically re-appear on the new phone...

44 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

Have a quick look at photos.google.com, signing in using the google account you used in the phone, and you may find they are there. 

1 minute ago, alias said:

Have a quick look at photos.google.com, signing in using the google account you used in the phone, and you may find they are there. 

Only if you used a Google account when you set the phone up, most people do but I think you can refuse...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Only if you used a Google account when you set the phone up, most people do but I think you can refuse...

I didn't realise that you could decline. Presumably you would also be unable to use "find my device". 

On my phone at least you cannot see the data on internal storage unless the phone is powered up and the USB connection to PC is adjusted from the default "power only" to "file transfer", so without a google account I guess the photos would not be (economically) recoverable.

Another approach is to download photos from your phone to another device (eg a PC or laptop) every so often. My experience with IT goes back far enough to the times when we had to remember to do such things as a matter of course.

That was especially true when using a DSLR camera .. which, of course, had its storage on a flashcard anyway. 

1 hour ago, swift1894 said:

Stupid question - have you had the phone apart to make sure the battery is sitting comfortably? I work on the principle that first you look for simple things you can fix yourself, no matter how unlikely. I realise that an unfixable breakage is far more likely!

My android phone is set up with a google account but my pictures are not in photos.google.com.  I wouldn't use that anyway as I back my stuff to two computers and an external hard drive but it would seem that phone photos are not automatically backed up to google, they have to be put there by you or the automation has to be set up by you. I couldn't see any way to do that though.

25 minutes ago, pete.i said:

My android phone is set up with a google account but my pictures are not in photos.google.com.  I wouldn't use that anyway as I back my stuff to two computers and an external hard drive but it would seem that phone photos are not automatically backed up to google, they have to be put there by you or the automation has to be set up by you. I couldn't see any way to do that though.

Mine appear on Google Photos (e.g. on my PC) within a minute or so of being taken on the phone, I don't have to do anything.

If backup to Google is configured to only happen on WiFi then you need to connect the phone to WiFi for the backup to take place.  My photos on the phone usually sync within a few minutes of me getting home and the phone switching to WiFi.

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If backup to Google is configured to only happen on WiFi then you need to connect the phone to WiFi for the backup to take place.  My photos on the phone usually sync within a few minutes of me getting home and the phone switching to WiFi.

IIRC that's the default setup (backup only over WiFi) to prevent inadvertant mobile data allowance usage if you have a lot of photos. You can also set a daily mobile data limit of none/5MB/10MB/30MB/unlimited in your account settings.

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, harryben145 said:

I am looking to the latest juice wrld phone case that can supply print on demand. Would you help me to find such a store. I will be thankful to you.

Have you tried Woolworths?

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, harryben145 said:

I appreciate your help because I got quality products from here.

Errr....

Talking to yourself is the first sign of.......

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am always concerned that if I lose my phone then I've lost my contacts, is there some way of saving them?

Yes. Write the names, numbers and email addresses down in a little note book. :giggles:

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am always concerned that if I lose my phone then I've lost my contacts, is there some way of saving them?

If you sell your soul to Google they will be saved there.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

You should be able to connect phone to PC with a USB cable and export the contacts as a .vcf file for safekeeping.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jonathanA said:

You can still import or export contacts to your sim card. Although I seem to recall the number of contacts is limited.

But if you lose your phone you also lose your SIM card, surely?

@LadyG sorry you didn’t like that solution. You can probably back them up in a similar way to Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox or any other online file storage site.

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So, I've got a phone, and I put the charging wire in the phone socket, what now?

Is your charging wire simply a 'charging wire' or does it do data transfer as well ?

When you plug it into your PC / laptop does it 'ping' can you transfer photos etc toyour PC ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is your charging wire simply a 'charging wire' or does it do data transfer as well ?

When you plug it into your PC / laptop does it 'ping' can you transfer photos etc toyour PC ?

I don't have a PC and I don't have a wire to connect phone to tablet. Maybe there is another way. Tablet is android and so is phone.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I don't have a PC and I don't have a wire to connect phone to tablet. Maybe there is another way.

Can you email from your phone? If so, create the backup file and email it to yourself. If you can access same email on the tablet you can then save it there.

Or file transfer it using bluetooth from phone to tablet and save it there.

Its tricky when not knowing what make/model etc. of phone and tablet and what cables you may or may not have.

Failing that, type “how to backup contacts from XYZ PHONE to XYZ TABLET” into your search engine of choice (obvs substituting the bits in caps for what you have) and nine times out of ten you’ll find the solution, sometimes even with a video walkthrough. This sort of thing is where the internet excels.

• Happy 1