Stoppages advice please

Bristolfashion

Featured Posts

Good afternoon all - a pretty basic question I'm afraid.

When I read the stoppages information it gives a start & finish location and dates. For example, Lock 16 on the peak forest canal as the start & end of the stoppage, 17/1 to 25/2. This would imply that it is fine to come up the Macclesfield & turn right towards Whaley bridge  without being affected.

However, when one looks at the red line on the interactive map, it stretches fro lock 11 to past bridge 19, right across the junction.

So, what does this red line mean? Is it a definition of the closed / stoppage area or just a way of drawing attention to the stoppage?

Cheers all.

42 minutes ago, Bristolfashion said:

Good afternoon all - a pretty basic question I'm afraid.

When I read the stoppages information it gives a start & finish location and dates. For example, Lock 16 on the peak forest canal as the start & end of the stoppage, 17/1 to 25/2. This would imply that it is fine to come up the Macclesfield & turn right towards Whaley bridge  without being affected.

However, when one looks at the red line on the interactive map, it stretches fro lock 11 to past bridge 19, right across the junction.

So, what does this red line mean? Is it a definition of the closed / stoppage area or just a way of drawing attention to the stoppage?

Cheers all.

It’ll be the last chance to wind the boat, although you can go further until you reach the stoppage, you’d have to reverse to get out.

• Happy 1

The stoppage is to fix the bottom gates of lock 16 plus some masonry repairs, and suggests winding above the lock.

So dunno why they have a red line to the bridge?

Like you I find that a bit confusing. 

If you’re heading that way and want confirmation that you can either turn on or off the Upper Peak, or wind, then best give them a ring.

The stoppage notices seem to be done by some one at CaRT who is office based and has no other knowledge of the location but that which is on their database. They certainly don't know much about boating. Asking for local knowledge, either when you get near there, or on CWDF, is the better way to be sure of the actual situation.

Nearest winding hole seems to be a particular problem. For much of south Yorkshire, the maximum boat length is around 200', which only a couple of commercial boats meet. A typical up to 60' long leisure boat can be turned round in many more places, but CaRT will give the winding holes for a full length boat, which could be many miles away.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...

When using the map to search for stoppages you tick the box for navigation closure. 

Change date to today to end of March then go to map. 

When you look at map it can mislead totally, you need to zoom in and out several times, looking at the specific areas of interest.

You should also have stoppages notifications enabled. They are usually correct, as far as I am aware. 

For example, I woke up one morning at Barrowford to find a winter stoppage lock closure happening, I had been notified by text months previously but had deleted it as I was not intending to be there. 

The long term stoppage at Eshton, unplanned does not show on all magnifications, there is also a stoppage at Skipton, and at Greenberfield, so, be wary of the map. 

Do zoom in and out, check all map pins for detail. 

If approaching a closure you need to use a turning or winding hole, these may be correct on the designated narrow canals, but on the wide, eg northern canals they may only show winding holes for 200ft boats, your 50ft boat should be much more adaptable. 

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

When using the map to search for stoppages you tick the box for navigation closure. 

Change date to today to end of March then go to map. 

The long term stoppage at Eshton, unplanned does not show on all magnifications, there is also a stoppage at Skipton, and at Greenberfield, so, be wary of the map. 

Do zoom.

Not all closures are marked Red. 

Edited by LadyG

• 3 weeks later...