Carbon Monoxide Alarm Bleeping

Midnight

Featured Posts

Asking for a friend (Really) Just added two new carbon monoxide alarms and both started bleeping. Nothing on except the battery charger and fridge (240v) nobody so the boat fire's out. Took the alarms outside and they stop take them back in and bleep, bleep.

Can't figure out what's the cause - any ideas?

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Asking for a friend (Really) Just added two new carbon monoxide alarms and both started bleeping. Nothing on except the battery charger and fridge (240v) nobody so the boat fire's out. Took the alarms outside and they stop take them back in and bleep, bleep.

Take one closer to the batteries, and see if it goes mad. Best if at least one has a readout screen.

Edited by Higgs

Mine went off due to the barreries having an internal short.

Long story short - middle of the night beeping, eventually investigated and battery so hot couldn't tough it, it was shaped like a Rugby ball and I reckon another few minutes and it would have exploded scattering acid and plastic all over the engine room.

Keep an eye on the water levels in each battery.

Keep feeling the battery temperatures

And - you should get an early warning.

39 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think they will react to Hydrogen sulphide that is produced when cells run dry or short internally.

Indeed they do.  Hydrogen sulfide stinks like eggs and is TOXIC.  Check where it is coming from, do not sleep in the boat until you have sored this out.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine went off due to the barreries having an internal short.

Long story short - middle of the night beeping, eventually investigated and battery so hot couldn't tough it, it was shaped like a Rugby ball and I reckon another few minutes and it would have exploded scattering acid and plastic all over the engine room.

Keep an eye on the water levels in each battery.

Keep feeling the battery temperatures

And - you should get an early warning.

That's my thoughts but he won't be down until tomorrow to check.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CO alarms are sensitive to Hydrogen being evolved from batteries, either being charged hard, or overheating. Also check any boats moored nearby. Is there a generator going, or smokey stove flue blowing towards "your friends" boat?

Jen

He just added the alarms after a survey last Monday. Its at the Club no boats near are occupied.

58 minutes ago, MtB said:

Now lemme think. A carbon monoxide detector, making a beeping noise. 

Nope, sorry. No idea!

Never mind I'm sure it will come to you in the fullness of time. Let me know when it does.

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Indeed they do.  Hydrogen sulfide stinks like eggs and is TOXIC.  Check where it is coming from, do not sleep in the boat until you have sored this out.

There's no smell reported, but it's got to be something to do with the batteries.  Watch this space!

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

That's my thoughts but he won't be down until tomorrow to check.

There's no smell reported, but it's got to be something to do with the batteries.  Watch this space!

I'd suggest that you disconnect any mains supply / switch off any battery charger.

If you can get on board, have a feel around each battery - is there any heat in any of them ?

Have a good look at the shape of the batteries - are the ends bowed/blown outwards ?

There was absolutely no smell with mine - until I actually went into the 'underfloor engine room space' and, as I opened the hatch, the fumes hit me in the back of my throat then my eyes began to sting. As I tried to disconnect the battery link-cables my throat started to 'seriously burn' and I was choking ............... STILL NO SMELL ! and the "alarm was going wild"

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was absolutely no smell with mine - until I actually went into the 'underfloor engine room space' and, as I opened the hatch, the fumes hit me in the back of my throat then my eyes began to sting. As I tried to disconnect the battery link-cables my throat started to 'seriously burn' and I was choking ............... STILL NO SMELL ! and the "alarm was going wild"

Hydrogen Sulphide disables your sense of smell in higher concentrations. No rotten eggs, but still doing damage. Nasty stuff.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that you disconnect any mains supply / switch off any battery charger.

If you can get on board, have a feel around each battery - is there any heat in any of them ?

Have a good look at the shape of the batteries - are the ends bowed/blown outwards ?

I rang him last night after looking at all the answers above. He's going to check the batteries today and let me know. He did say he had trouble with his starter battery recently so my money is on your diagnosis being correct.

Fitted a small (10W) trickle charge solar panel,and the advice I got suggested it didn't need a solar controller as it would only keep pace with the natural discharge rate of the battery.

This advice proved wrong,as one day visiting the boat the carbon monoxide alarm was going off.

The battery was grossly overcharged the multimeter gave a reading of 16.4 V,and had been gassing setting off the alarm.

Fitted a cheapie solar controller,and no further problems.

• Greenie 1

I rang him last night after looking at all the answers above. He's going to check the batteries today and let me know. He did say he had trouble with his starter battery recently so my money is on your diagnosis being correct.

I would put my money on it being the batteries, or more likely one of the batteries as well.

I believed that CO alarms are also sensitive to H2S. I note that my CO alarm always detects a bit of something when I equalise the batteries but I have never smelled any H2S so maybe it is the hydrogen that they detect?

21 hours ago, Midnight said:

Take the batteries out