Manchester area over festive period

enigmatic

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Further up at the junction with the Ashton. Loads of rings but I'm the only boat there

You mean just above the top lock of the Rochdale Nine? We stopped there for a few hours while we were held up waiting for CRT to fix a broken paddle, I'm not sure I'd want to moor there overnight but maybe it's fine.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You mean just above the top lock of the Rochdale Nine? We stopped there for a few hours while we were held up waiting for CRT to fix a broken paddle, I'm not sure I'd want to moor there overnight but maybe it's fine.

We stayed round the corner on the Ashton for two nights in October. The only danger was that it was difficult to avoid having to eat avocado on toast for breakfast. Things have changed a bit in the last 10 years.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, enigmatic said:

A very quiet Piccadilly Basin. Got down this afternoon with Ian's help. Locks were smooth enough although I'd still be doing them now without someone setting them ahead and closing the gates.

Only opened the weed hatch twice today and once yesterday and the worst thing I picked up was a coat so the canal rubbish gods were on my side!

Come on, you have bragging rights now - an easy passage down the Manchester 18 - a relaxed trip in under 4 hrs. A little on the chilly side to start with, but a nice sunny day. Nothing major wrong with the infrastructure, and quite a few things have been improved/mended :)

DSC_5015.jpg

17 hours ago, IanD said:

We have stayed overnight there on two or three occasions - initially it was just about mandatory for the Rochdale passage times. Never a problem and on the side with rings, ie the Ashton side, there is little passing foot traffic as the towpath does not continue thr0ough at that point. Sometimes people forget that the inevitable, but often delightful, fact of urban living is that you are cheek by jowl with such a variety of folk, many of very different tastes to one's own. At least in the place you do not have to avoid the deposits left by inconsiderate dog walkers who seem to think that it is OK to hide anything unwanted in the grass outside our front door!

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

We have stayed overnight there on two or three occasions - initially it was just about mandatory for the Rochdale passage times. Never a problem and on the side with rings, ie the Ashton side, there is little passing foot traffic as the towpath does not continue thr0ough at that point. Sometimes people forget that the inevitable, but often delightful, fact of urban living is that you are cheek by jowl with such a variety of folk, many of very different tastes to one's own. At least in the place you do not have to avoid the deposits left by inconsiderate dog walkers who seem to think that it is OK to hide anything unwanted in the grass outside our front door!

Glad to hear that this seems to be OK, assuming you choose where to moor as posted. I've got no problem with urban living and industrial scenes and stopping in cities -- even Stoke! -- but wasn't sure about leaving a boat there, we were on the towpath side immediately above the lock which *is* very accessible, and saw some distinctly dodgy-looking passersby in the few hours we were there.

And yes of course I know you shouldn't judge people by their looks... 😉

Most unpleasant place we ever moored was a green part of Bugsworth Basin, or dog shit city as it became known -- it was literally impossible to walk from the boat to the pub without stepping in some, it looked like somebody had been using it as a dog toilet every day for months... 😞

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Glad to hear that this seems to be OK, assuming you choose where to moor as posted. I've got no problem with urban living and industrial scenes and stopping in cities -- even Stoke! -- but wasn't sure about leaving a boat there, we were on the towpath side immediately above the lock which *is* very accessible, and saw some distinctly dodgy-looking passersby in the few hours we were there.

We moored overnight there a year or two back and there was a chap sat on a bench with a regular stream of people coming up to him, staying for a few minutes then departing again!  But they all completely ignored us and the boat.

Edited by David Mack

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

We moored overnight there a year or two back and there was a chap sat on a bench with a regular stream of people coming up to him, staying for a few minutes then departing again!  ............

Maybe he was selling tickets to 'come and look at the water-gypsies'.

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

We moored overnight there a year or two back and there was a chap sat on a bench with a regular stream of people coming up to him, staying for a few minutes then departing again!  But they all completely ignored us and the boat.

Yup, we were moored right opposite the same bench, might even have seen the same entrepreneur... 😉

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Better on the opposite bank

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53°28'48.7"N+2°13'48.7"W/@53.4802008,-2.2307512,156m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x487a4d4c5226f5db:0xd9be143804fe6baa!2sManchester!3b1!8m2!3d53.4807593!4d-2.2426305!3m5!1s0x0:0xdb23afdde4fe603e!7e2!8m2!3d53.4802!4d-2.2302039

if I've got it right

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I looked out my window and can't see him, not mentioned as a facility on CRT signs either. Bloke pissing in the canal on my side if that's of any use to anyone though!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I looked out my window and can't see him, not mentioned as a facility on CRT signs either. Bloke pissing in the canal on my side if that's of any use to anyone though!

Obviously heard of the water shortage on the bottom end of the Rochdale. Could do with a few more.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Could be much worse, down at Piccadilly lock we saw a bloke putting "other fluids" into the canal whilst watching his gentleman friends entertain each other.

• Horror 2