Manchester area over festive period

enigmatic

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Dmr, do they still have the sex parties over the road at Warland?

A friend of mine’s daughter was given a cleaning job there, and walked out when she turned up for work. 

The ex pub that is now a party house?  Yes it's still going strong. Not sure about the sex, there is a lot of drinking and screaming and shouting etc, mostly centred on the outdoor hot tub. We have a pair of binoculars on the boat, shall I do some research for you ? 😀

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

The ex pub that is now a party house?  Yes it's still going strong. Not sure about the sex, there is a lot of drinking and screaming and shouting etc, mostly centred on the outdoor hot tub. We have a pair of binoculars on the boat, shall I do some research for you ? 😀

It’s fame reaches as far as Cornwall. 

27 minutes ago, Pagefield said:

Is the Rochdale bookable in Winter?  Just been listening an interview with Robbie Cumming.  Forward to 38.45   Waterways World | Podcast Your Waterways

There is no booking on the Rochdale, that's all history, just turn up and go like almost all other canals.  The volunteer can be booked if he's available but he's an optional extra (though sometimes it feels like help is essential)

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

There is no booking on the Rochdale, that's all history, just turn up and go like almost all other canals.  The volunteer can be booked if he's available but he's an optional extra (though sometimes it feels like help is essential)

Including the sex house? 

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Including the sex house? 

I've actually had a bit of a confrontation with the owner of the sex house as he feels that some of my plans will lower the tone of "his" neighbourhood, whilst he runs a very upmarket establishment. Its true that it costs about £1,400 to rent his airbnb for a single night but he can cram about 20 totally pissed up chavs in there, not my idea of up market 😀.   Your friend is not the first person to refuse the cleaning job, or maybe your friend is also my friends friend???? (it is a small and confusing world).

What we gonna do Goliath?, this bloody virus, I'm moored outside a pub selling good beer at £2.50 and I don't want to go in. 😟

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Take some drugs and go sex house 

Be sure to wear your best pyjamas 

The lock keepers have all trained with the Trust and have excellent local knowledge which can really add to your experience of the flight.  😮

Volunteer lock keepers on the Rochdale canal | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pagefield said:

The lock keepers have all trained with the Trust and have excellent local knowledge which can really add to your experience of the flight.  😮

Volunteer lock keepers on the Rochdale canal | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

They’ll be wearing their best pyjamas 

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

I'll ask the CRT if the sex house is part of his itinerary

The party (sex) house is well beyond the patch usually covered by the volunteer, but he does do the Rochdale 9 and the stuff that goes on there makes the party house look like an OAPs afternoon tea party.

• Greenie 1

@enigmatic did I find your windlass by the lock the other day as you arrived in Littleborough? Putting a face to the name.

Littleborough is fine for leaving boats, usually. Either up by the sani point or by the station. Granny Buttons left her boat on the waterpoint for a few months last winter.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

The party (sex) house is well beyond the patch usually covered by the volunteer, but he does do the Rochdale 9 and the stuff that goes on there makes the party house look like an OAPs afternoon tea party.

Never knew the shenanigans going on up your end of the Rochdale, although Tod and Hebden have had a swinging vibe for decades.

For OP the suggestion to stay in Littleborough would seem sound but cruising timescale might mean being compelled to press on. In that case I'd check to see if was possible with stoppages to get down into Mcr and then back out again up the Ashton and Lower Peak and onto the Upper Peak, someone has mentioned having a word with the Buggy basin volunteers to get an overstay permit and give them a donation. Alternate to that are sound towpath mooring spots within walking distance of Disley, New Mills, Furness Vale and Whaley Bridge stations. 

Marinas would be Droylsden on the Ashton (operated by Portland Basin marina), Marple and Furness are owned by the same co, there's New Mills, a marina at Poynton (on the Macc) and various smaller offside moorings but what all their current occupancy is I don't know.

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

@enigmatic did I find your windlass by the lock the other day as you arrived in Littleborough? Putting a face to the name.

Littleborough is fine for leaving boats, usually. Either up by the sani point or by the station. Granny Buttons left her boat on the waterpoint for a few months last winter.

Yup, that was me.

Have headed down through Rochdale now, which wasn't as bad as reputed (friendly people, as many teenager apprentices clearing stuff out the canal as I saw actual trolleys. Guy overseeing them says they hope to attract people to actually moor there in future though he thinks talk of a town centre marina might be a pipe dream.)

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you need a helping hand there as well ?

I'm expecting to get offered that sort of helping hand in certain tunnels on the Nine even without the volunteer!

• Haha 3

No experience of the Rochdale yet (outside of the Rochdale 9 in manchester) but another vote for Droylesden, its totally secure/locked but might be full up this time of year of course. Otherwise even the bottom of Marple locks would be ok, some nice armco the manchester side of the opened out tunnel (rose hill I think?) or anywhere at the top of them.

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

enigmatic, How far you got? 
did you end up going down to Manchester single handed?

A very quiet Piccadilly Basin. Got down this afternoon with Ian's help. Locks were smooth enough although I'd still be doing them now without someone setting them ahead and closing the gates.

Only opened the weed hatch twice today and once yesterday and the worst thing I picked up was a coat so the canal rubbish gods were on my side!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

A very quiet Piccadilly Basin. Got down this afternoon with Ian's help. Locks were smooth enough although I'd still be doing them now without someone setting them ahead and closing the gates.

Only opened the weed hatch twice today and once yesterday and the worst thing I picked up was a coat so the canal rubbish gods were on my side!

You mean at Castlefield? Did you find space on the visitor moorings?