Manchester area over festive period

enigmatic

Featured Posts

So I'm now on the less pretty bit of the Rochdale, and trying to plan ahead for the festive period, which will involve leaving my boat for at least a couple of days. Just wondering what my options are, since I'm aware the general area isn't ideal for leaving boats. Can consider paying overnight rates at a marina but aware options there might be a little thin on the ground too.

- Originally I planned to head on to the Peak Forest/Macclesfield and I can still get up to Ashton assuming the flight below reopens on schedule. Is that a decent spot to leave a boat, or does it make more sense paying Portland Basin / Droitwich   ?

- New Islington Marina - do they offer secure moorings at a nightly rate? Are the 48hr visitor moorings there strictly 48hr or do they revert to 14 days in winter like most CRT moorings? Will there even be space there?

- Some people have raved about wonderful moorings at Salthouse Dock in Liverpool, and I could still get there (even allowing for the stoppage at Wigan Pier). Quite liked Liverpool's docks when I visited as a kid. But are they actually secure from idiots?

- Or is there anywhere else on that stretch that makes sense to leave a boat and has rail access?

- Or do other people have much better ideas than that?

Second question: How bad is the last section of the Rochdale likely to be at this time of year? Worth calling out the volunteers?  (I'm a reasonably fit single hander with a bit of recent experience of v-shaped banks at lock landings and having to force gates, am quite happy taking advice from, chatting with and buying beers for volunteers, but also don't want to drag someone out on a miserable December day just because it's bookable )

Where are you now?

New Islington is probably the best bet, £25 per night I think,  you will likely not be in the secure area but it should be ok.

Portland Basin Marina might just fit you in if you can get there but its very small, just a tiny little canal arm.

I think Salthouse is closed for the winter, you maybe have to go in for the entire winter unless things have changed, but there is a marina and offside moorings before Liverpool if you can get there.

Lack of water is the big issue on the lower Rochdale so it should be ok, especially going down, but as so few boats have used it in the last couple of weeks then you might find an empty pound or two and some rubbish.

There is only one Rochdale volunteer but he makes a huge difference.

The top or bottom of the Slattocks flight is the best of a bad lot if you need to leave the boat on the Rochdale, but still not ideal for leaving a lone boat unattended.

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There’s Droylesden Marina too. Top of the Ashton locks. We spent a night there once. Not the most picturesque location but there were plenty of live-aboards who were friendly, and consequently it felt pretty secure.

Another vote for Droylesden. We stayed there a couple of years ago before heading down the Ashton flight. I think it was £8 per night but might have been 10. Electricity could also be purchased.

I too don't think you can do the Liverpool Link at this time of year.

I’d stick to the original plan and get up onto the Peak Forest Canal.

Stay over at Bugsworth Basin. 
For a donation of your choice you can stay a couple of weeks if you need and it’s safe to leave a boat unattended for awhile. 
Car park there, pub, and a train station a short walk away. 

Yes Droylsden is good, I forgot about that, £8 per night, but it is full so there is only a space if one of the residents is out cruising. Stopping just outside is reasonably safe.

I think there are stoppages on the Ashton and Marple flights but dunno if they are now or after Christmas. 

Boats do stop at the bottom of the Ashton, but some do get low level trouble.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Where are you now?

Littleborough. In theory I can stay here or even go back up to the summit (no question of vandalism, but more potential issues with water level changes and wind?) though that's probably not my preferred option.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Visited Bugsworth Basin when not on a boat and its lovely - didn't know about the station there and didn't consider it but actually closer than Liverpool

Droylesden Marina sounds reasonably priced as well but if there's no space there's no space. Looks like Marple has a station too - decent mooorings there? Looks like New Mills Marina is another option

Ashton and Marple Flights are supposed to reopen on the 18th, as is a stretch at Wigan Pier on the Liverpool route and I missed Salthouse only being bookable March-October which I guess scuppers that idea!

Littleborough should be fine. If you are down the bottom it might be worth reversing up the first two locks and mooring outside the new houses, long term boat opposite which always makes it feel more secure.  If you decide to turn in the winding hole (by the bridge) please report back on degree of silting.

I should be at Warland over Christmas (two locks down on Yorkshire side of summit) so if you want to go that far I can keep an eye on your boat for you.

No good safe moorings at Marple, but its a safe place anyway.

Scarisbrick ?? is the big marina on the way towards Liverpool. Remember to check for any Bridgewater stoppages (not always easy to do).

Try phoning New Mills, friendly people, but it looked pretty full when we passed.

Thanks for the offer. Much as I wouldn't mind reversing course and doing the Yorkshire section again (and then the Huddersfield Narrow) I shall probably continue the other way but I'll let you know if that changes.

Believe a similar sized boat to mine did wind near the bridge yesterday (I wasn't watching, but they passed me twice in different directions!) so it's probably still usable.

19 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Thanks for the offer. Much as I wouldn't mind reversing course and doing the Yorkshire section again (and then the Huddersfield Narrow) I shall probably continue the other way but I'll let you know if that changes.

Believe a similar sized boat to mine did wind near the bridge yesterday (I wasn't watching, but they passed me twice in different directions!) so it's probably still usable.

Thanks.

To be pedantic, in your initial post you say "the less pretty bit" but from Littleborough you can still see the hills, and there are a few decent walks. The Slattocks flight is really quite good, if it was anywhere but squashed in between Manchester and Rochdale it would be another honeyspot, but yes, the Yorkshire bit is the best. 😀

23 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I did like the flight coming down, and yes I can still see a hill as well as a car park! But I've heard it gets considerably less pretty from here!

That's the Littleborough flight. There are a couple of nice bits heading towards Rochdale, but "outer Rochdale" itself is just generally uninspiring.  Slattocks is a good flight of locks. Outer Manchester is just horrid. My method is to go down Slattocks and push on to the Boat and Horses which is a reasonably safe if not a pretty mooring. Beer is Lees which is nothing special but they do a good Lancashire cheese pie.  Set off at or just before first light to get down the "Manchester 18". Ideally a crew of three, or two plus the volunteer, people do it single handed but I wouldn't.

11 hours ago, dmr said:

That's the Littleborough flight. There are a couple of nice bits heading towards Rochdale, but "outer Rochdale" itself is just generally uninspiring.  Slattocks is a good flight of locks. Outer Manchester is just horrid. My method is to go down Slattocks and push on to the Boat and Horses which is a reasonably safe if not a pretty mooring. Beer is Lees which is nothing special but they do a good Lancashire cheese pie.  Set off at or just before first light to get down the "Manchester 18". Ideally a crew of three, or two plus the volunteer, people do it single handed but I wouldn't.

Or stop a little bit further out (1 extra lock) at the Rose of Lancaster (moor just over the River Irk aqueduct, too shallow nearer the pub), also Lees with decent but nothing special pub food -- could be the same (laminated plastic) menu everywhere?

We did from Piccadilly Basin up to the Rose in a day fairly easily with 4 on board (20 locks?), it would be hard work single-handing but coming down should be easier than going up.

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or stop a little bit further out (1 extra lock) at the Rose of Lancaster (moor just over the River Irk aqueduct, too shallow nearer the pub), also Lees with decent but nothing special pub food -- could be the same (laminated plastic) menu everywhere?

We did from Piccadilly Basin up to the Rose in a day fairly easily with 4 on board (20 locks?), it would be hard work single-handing but coming down should be easier than going up.

Heading down I prefer the Boat and Horses, its get the extra lock (64) done and the lift bridge, so allows an earlier start for getting through Newton Heath. Its taking an hour off what can be a long and hard day.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Heading down I prefer the Boat and Horses, its get the extra lock (64) done and the lift bridge, so allows an earlier start for getting through Newton Heath. Its taking an hour off what can be a long and hard day.

Especially true single-handing, and still hard work even with one volunteer...

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Especially true single-handing, and still hard work even with one volunteer...

I spoke to a single hander who came up recently and he ended up spending a night in Newton Heath (and got away with it). Another boat did the same and got a firework down the chimney. To allow for possible delays that section really needs a crew of at least three, or two plus a volunteer.

20 minutes ago, IanD said:

Much better (and cheaper) food at the Indian takeaway over the bridge.

4 minutes ago, dmr said:

I spoke to a single hander who came up recently and he ended up spending a night in Newton Heath (and got away with it). Another boat did the same and got a firework down the chimney. To allow for possible delays that section really needs a crew of at least three, or two plus a volunteer.

Agreed -- or pair up with another boat if there's one wanting to do the same transit at the same time. Maybe the OP should ask if anyone is, and if there is try and synchronise his trip with them?

Just now, David Mack said:

Much better (and cheaper) food at the Indian takeaway over the bridge.

True, so long as you don't mind the washing-up and a boat that smells of curry 😉

4 hours ago, IanD said:

Agreed -- or pair up with another boat if there's one wanting to do the same transit at the same time. Maybe the OP should ask if anyone is, and if there is try and synchronise his trip with them?

Happy to pair up if anyone is planning on going down later this week. Otherwise I shall probably give CRT a call tomorrow about booking the volunteer (and head down to the Slattock flight)

37 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Happy to pair up if anyone is planning on going down later this week. Otherwise I shall probably give CRT a call tomorrow about booking the volunteer (and head down to the Slattock flight)

Good luck, the weather seems better (dry) this week. 
And you’ll be taking water down with you 👍 which always helps. 

44 minutes ago, JohnEW2912 said:

Would the Rose of Lancaster be a safe place to leave a boat? I've stopped there a few times but never left the boat. There is a station right there as well - Mills Hill. Not to be confused with Mill Hill in Blackburn and also close to a canal.

Rose would likely be ok. Top of Slattocks would also maybe be ok (maybe), but if these are the options then staying in Littleborough would be much better.

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Sharing is good, especially if the other boat has crew. But, we have mostly done the Manchester bit alone (with volunteer) but a few weeks ago we shared and this really slowed things down. Quite a few locks had gates that would not fully open so getting both boats in was very slow and difficult. Also, with two boats there is the potential for twice as many weed hatch stops. The big plus is the possible security of one boat towing the other if there is a really bad prop foul.