Leaking Calorifier

Katie

Featured Posts

This looks like a Surecal calorifier, just be aware that the often have a built in non return valve (NRV) in the brass manifold fitting as shown below which stops them draining out, although the who installed yours may have removed it given a drain has been added. I added a drain like that on my previous boat and had to remove the NRV, adding an in line one in the cold supply pipe the other side of the drain.

1120560887_drainNRV.jpg.4cf24e02abcb65f9b085dafa90cc930a.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PeterF said:

This looks like a Surecal calorifier, just be aware that the often have a built in non return valve (NRV) in the brass manifold fitting as shown below which stops them draining out, although the who installed yours may have removed it given a drain has been added. I added a drain like that on my previous boat and had to remove the NRV, adding an in line one in the cold supply pipe the other side of the drain.

1120560887_drainNRV.jpg.4cf24e02abcb65f9b085dafa90cc930a.jpg

Just out of interest I have just removed mine Circa 2005 and it does not have a NRV at that point or elsewhere. The one in the pic looks like mine so may not have an NRV. Not sure if NRV have always been included in Surecals, maybe they were introduced at a later date?

Ok update: have stripped out all my steps to get better access and found a weeping area on the tank at the back so unfortunately looks like I’ll have to replace the tank. For the moment we are just jogging something to divert the water straight into the bilge. I suppose only good thing is we didn’t have to completely remove the tank to diagnose it. 

what size tank shall I get? I think I could do with downsizing the tank a bit I believe what I have now is about 60-ish litres. What size do people recommend? I live on board on my own. 

also and recommendations where to purchase a new twin coil calorifier?  

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Well, that's unfortunate.

Tank size? Depends how you heat your water, how much you need at any one time. I'd guess having a shower is likely to be your biggest use at one time. 

got twin coil that heats from either engine or back boiler on fire. Plus a 1k inverter

yes want to do washing up and a shower every day really that’s all. 

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Like for Like is normally the easiest when replacing anything

Yes but this is so tight in the current space be easier to install a small one really 

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

Yes but this is so tight in the current space be easier to install a small one really 

I'm actually going through a similar thought process, installed 55 ltr Surecal, build enclosure around it, 16  years later struggling with access. 

Like you now considering a smaller calorifier so that access to pipes easier.

A peripheral suggestion. Given the difficulty you've had accessing the existing calorifier, I'm suggesting you fit the new one somewhere else, with good access. So next time a problem arises with it (which it will, in the fullness of time) it is easier to sort out. 

I mend stuff for a living and access to things like pumps, valves, tanks etc is the bane of my professional life. Installers rarely mend anything so they see no problem in hiding it all away. You appear to have suffered from this mindset! 

• Greenie 2

Not really anywhere else to put it and we have/will improve the access. Half the problem was the original owners built in stairs over it and boards the screws so deep you can’t find them and rounded off the tops! 

what size tanks do others have aboard?