Merry Christmas and what does Santa have for you

MichaelG

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People down the road from me harvested a couple of lemons this year from the greenhouse

Yeah, it's a struggle though, imagine plucking a peach off a tree as you walk down the towpath.

Anyway sorry for the off topic wander and back to the original question, nothing really, i don't particularly do Christmas, if it wasn't for the other half who does do Christmas, I would ignore it

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Yeah, it's a struggle though, imagine plucking a peach off a tree as you walk down the towpath.

Anyway sorry for the off topic wander and back to the original question, nothing really, i don't particularly do Christmas, if it wasn't for the other half who does do Christmas, I would ignore it

There’s a side road in the town here where a peach tree in a garden hangs over the road....

I have my Bah Humbug t shirt ready to wear. Christmas is as much of a non event as I can make it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Ohhh I do wish we could grow apricot peach and nectarines over here.

Our (quite young) peach tree, though probably still not mature enough to be truly prolific, gives us two or three nice big fruits a year.

The apple trees, par contre, have gone mental - this seems to happen about every third year. We've given bagfuls away to neighbours and even to the bloke who came to service the Rayburn, but we're still eating them, making home-made apple juice and Mrs. Athy is turning out turnovers (pastries, not bridges).

As for Santa, I must have been good because he's bringing me two volumes of the definitive work on French minor railways 'Les Petits Trains de Jadis' (The Little Trains of Yesteryear). I already have the other three volumes.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Our (quite young) peach tree, though probably still not mature enough to be truly prolific, gives us two or three nice big fruits a year.

The apple trees, par contre, have gone mental - this seems to happen about every third year. We've given bagfuls away to neighbours and even to the bloke who came to service the Rayburn, but we're still eating them, making home-made apple juice and Mrs. Athy is turning out turnovers (pastries, not bridges).

As for Santa, I must have been good because he's bringing me two volumes of the definitive work on French minor railways 'Les Petits Trains de Jadis' (The Little Trains of Yesteryear). I already have the other three volumes.

Looking at the prices on Abebooks, you have been a good boy.

There were two single track lines that ran from our local station, and some of the infrastructure is still there, and they make very good walks.

Hyperloop is building a test track over one of the old tracks though, unfortunately. 

29 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Looking at the prices on Abebooks, you have been a good boy.

There were two single track lines that ran from our local station, and some of the infrastructure is still there, and they make very good walks.

Hyperloop is building a test track over one of the old tracks though, unfortunately. 

I must admit that they are my Christmas present to myself! The Est and Nord de la France volumes arrived a couple of weeks ago but I haven't unwrapped them, I've put the package under the table where the tree will go.

The books are out of print, and substantial 12" by 9" hardbacks which give full histories of the lines and are lavishly illustrated with period photos. I'm sure they'd bore the derriere off many people but I find them absorbing. Prices on Fr. eBay vary a lot, from 40 euros upwards. I recently found one of the volumes which I lacked but the mec wanted 230 euros for it. He was politely told to foutre le camp. I've secured these last two volumes for less than that for the pair.

I have the volume covering your part of the hexagon; what were these railways called? I'll look them up. I'd hazard a guess at the P.O. de Correze.

Edited by Athy

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Life is hard at time, but I am sure she appreciates it 

I'm glad you recognise the sacrifices I make ;)

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Most trees have what is called a mast year, in effect a cycle of heavy fruiting followed by a more fallow couple of years

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I must admit that they are my Christmas present to myself! The Est and Nord de la France volumes arrived a couple of weeks ago but I haven't unwrapped them, I've put the package under the table where the tree will go.

The books are out of print, and substantial 12" by 9" hardbacks which give full histories of the lines and are lavishly illustrated with period photos. I'm sure they'd bore the derriere off many people but I find them absorbing. Prices on Fr. eBay vary a lot, from 40 euros upwards. I recently found one of the volumes which I lacked but the mec wanted 230 euros for it. He was politely told to foutre le camp. I've secured these last two volumes for less than that for the pair.

I have the volume covering your part of the hexagon; what were these railways called? I'll look them up.

PM sent

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I'm glad you recognise the sacrifices I make ;)

Most trees have what is called a mast year, in effect a cycle of heavy fruiting followed by a more fallow couple of years

Ah! That would explain why the local walnut trees only produced one walnut between them this year. Last year despite the squirrels, who got most of them,  I collected  baskets full of them.

• Greenie 2

I've just ordered myself a tablet computer type thingy... I've been promising myself one for a few years now. My lap top's old, tired and cranky (hmmm!) so I'm going to move stuff across from it before it turns up its toes and I lose loads of files.

5 hours ago, MichaelG said:

Hi all, presuming you’ve all been good boys and girls what boaty or otherwise stuff do you hope Santa will be bringing for you?

Fewer dead relatives and friends... 😞

(it's been a bad week...)

Edited by IanD
  • Love 1