Well don't know what to say

luggsy

Featured Posts

Name it Whitefield II.

Not for me, but not as fugly as some wide beams.

Not sure about its cruising practicality. Hard to tell from the pics, but gunwales seem small to non-existent. I expect you'd be on the roof a lot trying to lasso bollards, which is a trick not many inland boaters have. Picking up a centre line from the stern might difficult with those big glass panels.

"This 58 x12'6 hull is a completely new ground up concept designed to shake up the traditional wide beam market."

Yawn! Haven't we heard this sort of thing before? Whitfield?

Might be OK perma-moored, but could you actually use this boating with no bow deck or usable gunwales?

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Might be OK perma-moored, but could you actually use this boating with no bow deck or usable gunwales?

I think it would be difficult, as there isn't even anywhere to coil up the bow line and have it within grabbing distance from the bank. 

Looks like access to the bow is walking along the roof.

I'm a bit alarmed by the fact it has different numbers of portholes in different pictures. Is this the innovative design concept - a room at the bow that can appear and disappear at the flick of a switch?

250k would get quite a nice-looking Dutch barge though,,,

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I'm a bit alarmed by the fact it has different numbers of portholes in different pictures. Is this the innovative design concept - a room at the bow that can appear and disappear at the flick of a switch?

Yes. There are 2, 3 or 4 portholes on the starboard side in different pictures. But some are photographs of the shell and some seem to be artist's impressions of the completed boat.

5 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I'm a bit alarmed by the fact it has different numbers of portholes in different pictures.

They are "Schrödingers Portholes". 

The number of portholes varies depending on whether the observer is inside or outside the boat. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The lack of gunnels is to avoid the VAT on a houseboat, vanishing portholes are to avoid the Governments planned window tax.

So, Reece-Mogg is taking us back to the days of Wiliam Pitt :

Window tax was a property tax based on the number of windows in a house. It was a significant social, cultural, and architectural force in England, France, and Ireland during the 18th and 19th centuries. To avoid the tax, some houses from the period can be seen to have bricked-up window-spaces (ready to be glazed or reglazed at a later date). In England and Wales it was introduced in 1696 and was repealed 155 years later, in 1851. In France it was established in 1798 and was repealed in 1926. Scotland had window tax from 1748 until 1798.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd simply runa line from the bow back to the stern and take it off when I 'jumped off'.

Maybe more of a problem - none of the pictures show that there is actually anywhere to tie-off a bow line (unless you use the stanchions)

It does look like they have not really considered the practicalities. Maybe it's design is still work in progress .

I think it's the sort of boat where the crew is intended to go forwards to sort out the bow line . Too heavy for single handed  operation.