History of butty / mud hopper called 'Vanadium'

The Village Butty

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, 

We have recently bought a 50ft butty called 'Vanadium' and we're trying to find out some history - where it was made / its original routes.

We say 'butty' but locals here (we are just outside of Rugby at the moment) say it is more likely a 'mud hopper' because it's 50ft long (rather than 70ft).  

The information we have:

- built in 1958/9 

- one of the last iron-riveted butties / mud hoppers made in the UK

- it was built as one of six boats, all the same dimensions (it is pointy at both ends)

- Vanadium is a chemical element, perhaps the others also had chemical element names?

Vanadium has been converted into a 'floating community hall' and we plan to restore her to her former glory and start a long cruise next Spring 2022.  We are looking for more information about this boat!  We would love to find out where she was made, what she transported and where she worked and if any of the others are still in operation.

Please let us know if you have any information or advice about how to find out more.

Many thanks,

Anna & Richard

Lift.jpg

I believe it was one of the short bcn joey hulls built by Harris brothers and used for the Hardy Spicer work alongside tug, Lion. 

They could both fit into a lock together. 

I'm sure that a little search on this forum about the above will yield more info.. 

I used to attend the Village butty events when I was in London and know one of the previous owners. 

Edited by sparrowcycles
Spelling

It looks like one of the ex-Hardy Spicer ones to me. Four of them wound up at Matty's, and having had the pleasure in being involved with their removal from there, they were definitely built deeper drafted than Vanadium is now.

The give away will be how much of the knees are left - I suspect they are just cut through where the new baseplate has been welded on.

P.S. I'm not sure why anyone would say that 50' makes it likely to be a mud hopper. Mud hoppers were always full length until BWB built some short ones (which were more often used for materials than mud) in thee late 70s. 50' hoppers are popular nowadays because they are easier to move by road as you don't need to file a movement notice.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

On 13/12/2021 at 09:29, sparrowcycles said:

I believe it was one of the short bcn joey hulls built by Harris brothers and used for the Hardy Spicer work alongside tug, Lion. 

They could both fit into a lock together. 

I'm sure that a little search on this forum about the above will yield more info.. 

I used to attend the Village butty events when I was in London and know one of the previous owners. 

Thanks for your help!  We are good friends with the previous owners and hoping to put on more similar events soon

Thanks everyone for your help!  We will do a bit more 'knees and feet' research based on your replies and let you know how we get on ...   Anna & Richard

I believe this thread has highlighted the fact that the boats were of such dimensions to fit in  a lock with a tug. With the Hardy Spicer Traffic the craft worked through locks 12 and 13 of the Tame Valley Canal

Element craft, tended to be full length, I understand

• 1 month later...