Internet/data access on boats -- some tips

IanD

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But I don't want games, just good coverage on the cut.

So try reading the report, which details how they perform in different categories including the one you're interested in... 😉

(Spoiler: EE is best...)

Edited by IanD

EE certainly seem the best. Its a shame that so few* MVNOs use them. It seems to be foreign and charity ones or other non-run-of-the-mill.

I did a bunch of tests last trip, however I was limited by the availability of free SIMs which could be sent out to me before they required activation or buying a data package/plan. The thought being, I could take a bunch of SIMs and if I struggled with the two networks I'd chosen - Giffgaff (O2) and  Voxi (Vodaphone) - I could choose to activate a third, different one, for a month. Out of the list of 26 network providers I found, only 5 were able to send out a free SIM before commitment of money. Most being on Vodaphone.

Interestingly, the Three SIM (phone contract, not data specific contract which they do) became disabled once put into the mifi device, I never got to the bottom of that though it might be deliberate behaviour.

*NOW PAYG, CMLink, Ecotalk, 1pmobile, popit mobile, The phone co-op, Utility Warehouse, Vectone mobile.

50 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Interestingly, the Three SIM (phone contract, not data specific contract which they do) became disabled once put into the mifi device, I never got to the bottom of that though it might be deliberate behaviour.

How long ago was that as I believe they are no longer allowed to do that by law. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Andyaero said:

In the house I watch all TV via an Amazon firestick on WiFi. Is this equally achievable on a boat, with a good WiFi set up?

In a word yes.

If we can do it with the Fire stick tethered to my phone I'm pretty sure a soopa doopa wi fi set up will be fine.

57 minutes ago, Andyaero said:

In the house I watch all TV via an Amazon firestick on WiFi. Is this equally achievable on a boat, with a good WiFi set up?

Yes, we stream any TV we want to watch via a Roku stick and use a Smarty unlimited data SIM so only pay for the months we are on the boat.

2 hours ago, Andyaero said:

Another one.......has anyone put a 55" tv down low in a narrowboat?

I've got a 24" and would like bigger, but think 27" would be too big. If I thought a 42" OLED would look OK, I'd have one.

The minimum recommended distance to view a 55"TV from  is 7ft.

Viewing it across a narrow boat is obviously out.

If you put it across the boat so you can get far enough away then you will be left with a gap of about 18" to squeeze through every time you want to pass by.

Think a smaller TV might be a better idea.🤔😂

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If you put it across the boat so you can get far enough away then you will be left with a gap of about 18" to squeeze through every time you want to pass by.

Could watch through a window. 

• Haha 1

Just now, bizzard said:

My sister and I at an early age became expert lip readers. We would go and watch telly in Norman Stanley's radio shop window in Ilford High st.

If remote controls had been invented, you could have changed the channel too. 

Was Norman Stanley the guy doing porridge? 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If remote controls had been invented, you could have changed the channel too. 

Was Norman Stanley the guy doing porridge? 

No, not Fletch. Norman and Stanley were partners. Norman was an old war time buddy of my dads, he sold us our first telly at cost price, a 12'' Ferguson in about 1949.

• Happy 1

28 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Do you remember those large screens on airplanes, before the advent of seat back screens? They would fold up to the ceiling when the movie had finished (just a single choice of film for all passengers in those days, although the audio options were multiple).

I'm imagining something similar would work for a huge screen on a narrowboat. Either motorised or manual folding. But the power consumption issue is still there.

15 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Do you remember those large screens on airplanes, before the advent of seat back screens? They would fold up to the ceiling when the movie had finished (just a single choice of film for all passengers in those days, although the audio options were multiple).

I'm imagining something similar would work for a huge screen on a narrowboat. Either motorised or manual folding. But the power consumption issue is still there.

airplane stuff was a projector and screen.

Stepson has projector and screen at home, whilst the screen is big the resolution is not as good as a 4k  TV

36 minutes ago, Puffling said:

I use a 32" screen. Folded to the side when out of use and across doorway for viewing.  Uses about 24w.

IMG_20230508_093805.jpg

IMG_20230508_093718.jpg

46 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Do you remember those large screens on airplanes, before the advent of seat back screens? 

Yes it doesn't seem that long ago to me, I'm sure I've been on a flight within the last 10 years with those big screens.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

If the OP is considering streaming-only TV (like me) then another option is a "smart monitor" designed for this (no antenna or tuner), which are also designed to be usable with a laptop or phones, and include streaming software and apps -- like this 4k 32" one...

https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/monitors/high-resolution/smart-m7-32-inch-smart-tv-experience-ls32bm700upxxu/

On 15/04/2023 at 20:46, Paul C said:

EE certainly seem the best. Its a shame that so few* MVNOs use them. It seems to be foreign and charity ones or other non-run-of-the-mill.

I did a bunch of tests last trip, however I was limited by the availability of free SIMs which could be sent out to me before they required activation or buying a data package/plan. The thought being, I could take a bunch of SIMs and if I struggled with the two networks I'd chosen - Giffgaff (O2) and  Voxi (Vodaphone) - I could choose to activate a third, different one, for a month. Out of the list of 26 network providers I found, only 5 were able to send out a free SIM before commitment of money. Most being on Vodaphone.

*NOW PAYG, CMLink, Ecotalk, 1pmobile, popit mobile, The phone co-op, Utility Warehouse, Vectone mobile.

Beware that many of the EE MVNOs/resellers don't have any or only partial access to the full EE network, expecially the lower-frequency bands used for coverage in rural areas.

1pmobile do and are the best bet for on/off use if you're not on the boat full-time; for liveaboards a SIM from Scancom is cheaper, an unlimited one is about £12pcm (£240 until 8/1/25) via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Unlimited-Data-Sim-Preloaded/dp/B09W1NYQFS?

Edited by IanD

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bother everyone on this subject again! Or if this has been answered before

However I’m about to buy a huweai 818 router, and I’ve just thought about the power.  Am I able to run this off 12v? Or do I have to have the inverter on all the time for a router? Can’t see them drawing much power but I’m but confuzzled by it all.

I have my Scancom sim ordered and I have a pontying mast installed ready!

TIA

6 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

Sorry to bother everyone on this subject again! Or if this has been answered before

However I’m about to buy a huweai 818 router, and I’ve just thought about the power.  Am I able to run this off 12v? Or do I have to have the inverter on all the time for a router? Can’t see them drawing much power but I’m but confuzzled by it all.

TIA

It will likely run from 12V, but you are better off doing so through a 12V regulated power supply or buck converter, so that it doesn't get exposed to the boats charging voltage.

You, can of course run it from an inverter should you wish to.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

It will likely run from 12V, but you are better off doing so through a 12V regulated power supply or buck converter, so that it doesn't get exposed to the boats charging voltage.

You, can of course run it from an inverter should you wish to.

There have been reports on Facebook of new routers, I will try and find the make , being very sensitive the supply voltage and letting out that expensive grey smoke when connected directly to the boat system without regulation.

12 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

TIA

Most routers nowadays (don't know about this specific one) use a 12V DC input from a mains adaptor. In theory you could run this straight from the boat 12V but it's not a good idea, because this can go up to higher voltages when the batteries are fully changed and this may cause damage. The safest option is to use a small DC-DC converter with a stabilised 12V output, like the one Loddon posted.

Edited by IanD