Boat purchase and no Bill of sale?

SteveLevis

Featured Posts

On 10/12/2021 at 17:28, Captain Pegg said:

I'm guessing you've never put a short narrowboat hard into reverse.

I did once watch someone from the London Canal Museum on their Bantam tug taking part in the boat handling competition at Canalway Cavalcade at Little Venice. Apparently it would have been fine with a mud hopper on the front, but running light it was struggling to keep to a straight line going forwards, let alone doing any of the specified manoeuvres.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I did once watch someone from the London Canal Museum on their Bantam tug taking part in the boat handling competition at Canalway Cavalcade at Little Venice. Apparently it would have been fine with a mud hopper on the front, but running light it was struggling to keep to a straight line going forwards, let alone doing any of the specified manoeuvres.

Apologies to @Mad Harold I wasn't trying to be smart ar*ed, it's just that I imagine when put into reverse the back ends of Mouse and Frog go sideways as much as they do backwards. They could spin all the way back through Braunston Tunnel.

As I'm sure you know not everything about handling a big boat is more difficult than a small one.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

As I'm sure you know not everything about handling a big boat is more difficult than a small one.

Quite. Once hired a 30ish foot day hire boat for a family gathering. Hardest thing I've steered in years - wouldn't go in a straight line, headed for the bank the moment you stopped concentrating, reverse was a random direction. Much easier on a 70 footer!

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Quite. Once hired a 30ish foot day hire boat for a family gathering. Hardest thing I've steered in years - wouldn't go in a straight line, headed for the bank the moment you stopped concentrating, reverse was a random direction. Much easier on a 70 footer!

Sounds familiar although mine is very nimble going forward, but the tiller cannot be loosed for a second. There are lines and poles for going backwards. I don't attempt to drive any distance at all in reverse.

I'm not sure that's the real reason day boats seem to be all over the place though. 😁 I passed one proceeding in a straight line at sensible speed a few weeks ago. I thought about phoning the hire base to report it.

I have every piece of paperwork (RCD docs, first owners specification, hull order, all maintenance and repair invoices etc) for my boat except the original bill of sale.

I suspect the first owner was too embarrassed to admit how much he lost.

• 1 month later...

We recently sold our boat through a broker, it was 2007 and had no bill of sale and no RCD documentation. (The broker never queried it?)

The buyer had a survey carried out and knocked the price down, but we still got more than we paid for it 6 years ago, so generally happy..