First time narrowboat purchase.

BeatTheSystem

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The regulations for wiring on boats is very very different to other areas in particular when compared to domestic wiring.

The specifications cover not only conductor CSA but the type and number of strands, things like the pull off force for any terminations and the maximum number of wires that can be connected to a terminal (eg battery terminal)

You should also consider the RCR (Recreational Craft Regulations) - when was the boat built ? and the implications for compliance and the possible need for a PCA (Post Construction Approval) by a recognised RCR approved surveyor once your work is completed.

You should obtain up to date copies of these specifications to ensure compliance :

The two specifications have now been merged into a single specification

Screenshot (785).png

Screenshot (786).png

Screenshot (787).png

Thanks £300+ to buy the standard is a fair wedge. 

The boat is 1997 which as I understands it predates the RCR.

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Try the Victron website, assuming you'll be using their gear -- or even if not, other makes will need similar components.

Thank you, they do have some good resources, just been digesting.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you HAVE now bought it, Insure it ASAP. just in case.

Thank you, first thing tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, BeatTheSystem said:

The boat is 1997 which as I understands it predates the RCR.

That is correct, but it is still advisable to use 'best practice' as (say) using the 'wrong cable' could give your insurance company  wriggle-room in the event of a claim.

Quite happy to email you copies of the individual standards as I believe the 'new' standard is simply an amalgamation of the two without any technical changes'.

It rarely costs more to do a job properly than it does to do a bodge and it will give you peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is correct, but it is still advisable to use 'best practice' as (say) using the 'wrong cable' could give your insurance company  wriggle-room in the event of a claim.

Quite happy to email you copies of the individual standards as I believe the 'new' standard is simply an amalgamation of the two without any technical changes'.

It rarely costs more to do a job properly than it does to do a bodge and it will give you peace of mind.

100% agree about doing a proper job! Yes I would be very grateful if you could email the standards, if it were my business to be a marine electrician I would buy them but this is one off private engineering job and 300+ is ouch, it amazes me why the bodies that love their standards so much dont distribute them freely. Most odd.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I haven't got round to reading this so can't vouch for it  Wiring Unlimited - a new book - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

It looks to be a general book on wiring and is not specifically in line with boat wiring requirements

eg : it says to use end ferrules if you want a tidy job, European boat requirements are that ferrules are compulsory,

10.3 All conductors shall have suitable terminals installed, i.e. no bare wires attached to stud or screw connections

Just now, BeatTheSystem said:

100% agree about doing a proper job! Yes I would be very grateful if you could email the standards, if it were my business to be a marine electrician I would buy them but this is one off private engineering job and 300+ is ouch, it amazes me why the bodies that love their standards so much dont distribute them freely. Most odd.

Send me a PM (message) with your email and I'll get them over to you - I have several others as well, such as 'gas installations on boats' if you want them as well.