Weed cutting boats on the BCN

Heartland

Featured Posts

This kind of weedcutter was very common on the canals when we started boating in the late 60s. Never saw one in action, but I believe they had a petrol engine driving paddle wheels and a linkage to the blade which was like a larger version of the Allen Scythe. There was one on display in the old Top Lock at Stoke Bruerne for some time and I am sure I remember one either at Bradley or the BCLM.

There was also one on diplay at Gloucester for a while.

There were definitely quite a few built, and as BuckbyLocks says they used a "fingerbar" cutter similar to contemporary hay mowers.

Are there any more images of the joey in that set please? I think it's the ex-spoon dredger Malcolm Braine subsequently purchased and restored which is now in my care.

It's a BSA! Possibly a C15, more likely a Bantam.

The cutter looks like the paddle wheel(s) are steerable (a bit?) by the 'steering' wheel, paddle and cutting blades out of sight driven by the engine behind the prongs (seen lifted). Much of that is a bit of a guess. I do remember seeing one tied up somewhere, might have been on the Oxford, early eighties.