Greener fuel for charity's work boat fleet

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

7th December 2021

GREENER FUEL FOR CHARITY’S WORK BOAT FLEET

The Canal & River Trust has begun a trial of HVO (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) fuel in its work boats. The charity sees this as a step towards zero emissions on the waterways and is supporting the fuel as a greener alternative for boats and boating businesses.

The Trust believes that the rapid adoption of greener fuels such as HVO would reduce carbon emissions from the running of existing boat engines in the short-term while not requiring changes in either engines or supply infrastructure.

The fuel is currently being trialled in the urban litter boat Berkswell in Birmingham and will start to be introduced to other craft operating out of Icknield Port, continuing until the end of March 2022. During this time, the Trust will be monitoring the effects of using the HVO fuel. Initial reports indicate that the craft is operating well, with no reported issues. If successful, there will be a gradual rollout across the whole Trust fleet from April 2022, to coincide with the withdrawal of commercial red diesel.

The trial is being supported by funding raised by the players of People’s Postcode Lottery through its Postcode Climate Challenge Initiative, which is supporting 12 charities with an additional £24 million for projects tackling climate change.

The Trust is considering the short-to-medium term solution of a switch to HVO as a milestone on the way to any more fundamental change. The Trust will be gathering feedback from fuel suppliers and boaters across the Trust’s waterways who are now supplying or using HVO.

Additionally, the removal of the red diesel subsidy from fuel for propulsion has disproportionately affected boaters, particularly those who live aboard. The Trust believes that the government has an opportunity to offer tax incentives for greener fuels such as HVOs, making fuel duty the same of lower than standard white diesel.

Matthew Symonds, national boating manager at Canal & River Trust, said: “COP26 highlighted the importance for all of us to take action to lower our carbon footprint. On the waterways, we hope that HVO will provide a ‘quick win’: a more sustainable, cost-friendly swap that will enable boaters and boating businesses to easily reduce their emissions. The trial of the fuel in our workboat fleet will provide valuable information on practicalities and performance, and we are also inviting feedback from the boating community on their experience.

“We are committed to working towards a zero-carbon future for boating on our inland waterways, recognising that this needs to be a collaborative effort involving boaters, businesses, local authorities and the government. Our boating customers have a very broad range of needs, and we want to find the right solutions to help them transition to zero-carbon without any significant changes to their use and enjoyment of the waterways.”

HVO is made from waste oils from animal fats and vegetable oil and is more than 90% carbon neutral. It has 30% lower nitrogen oxide outputs than fossil fuel diesel and can reduce particulate emissions by nearly 90%. The fuel is stable when stored for up to ten years, is free-flowing down to at least -25°C and does not attract water. It also mixes with other diesel fuels.

The Government has set out a legal obligation for the UK to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050 though amendment (in 2019) of the Climate Change Act. In addition, a route map for achieving net zero in the maritime sector (which includes inland and recreational boating) was set out in the Clean Maritime Plan.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

• Greenie 1

Additionally, the removal of the red diesel subsidy from fuel for propulsion has disproportionately affected boaters, particularly those who live aboard.

interesting, I wasnt aware it had been removed, or was even in place for propulsion.

Domestic and heating self declaration is still there as before according to my local suppliers.

Has someone at CRT not done their homework??

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Additionally, the removal of the red diesel subsidy from fuel for propulsion has disproportionately affected boaters, particularly those who live aboard.

interesting, I wasnt aware it had been removed, or was even in place for propulsion.

Domestic and heating self declaration is still there as before according to my local suppliers.

Never. Wash your mouth out. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Ray T said:

If successful, there will be a gradual rollout across the whole Trust fleet from April 2022, to coincide with the withdrawal of commercial red diesel.

When was this announced ?

The last Governement announcement (that I have seen) was that Red Diesel would continue for Boats and Agricultural use.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why break the habit of a lifetime.

Absolute incompetence.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That Red Diesel should continue for boats and agricultural use, was my understanding too. I have yet to find anything that states it should not, evn though the European Union wanted the subsidy to go, 

HVO is being trialled in different craft according to the IWA magazine, but how will suppliers cope with incressed demand should it happen, I wonder.

If I recall red diesel could be supplied to boaters and there was a calculation that concerned fuel for heating purposes. Perhaps clarification is needed as to how red diesel supplied to boaters is charged. If no subsidy exists then the charge for all purposes would mean no subsidy what ever the use. I am not aware of two tanks being fitted to a boat one for propulsion fuel and one for heating fuel, but perhaps somebody can confirm this.

1 minute ago, Heartland said:

If I recall red diesel could be supplied to boaters and there was a calculation that concerned fuel for heating purposes. Perhaps clarification is needed as to how red diesel supplied to boaters is charged. If no subsidy exists then the charge for all purposes would mean no subsidy what ever the use. I am not aware of two tanks being fitted to a boat one for propulsion fuel and one for heating fuel, but perhaps somebody can confirm this.

The user  declares to the vender what percentage of the diesel will be used for propulsion and the vendor charges full duty on that percentage. The vendor then passes that onto HMRC

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There are quite a lot of boats with a separate tank at the pointy end for a diesel stove in the cabin. If you only fill this tank, you can claim the 100% domestic rate without any quibble whatsoever. 

5 minutes ago, Lady C said:

I don't think that arrangements for use of red diesel in commercial boats has changed.  It may well be that CRT haven't done their homework.

One thought

Plant and construction  have lost the use of red diesel, so maybe carts boats come under that ruling. Their contractors certainly will.

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

One thought

Plant and construction  have lost the use of red diesel, so maybe carts boats come under that ruling. Their contractors certainly will.

Commercial boats (ie Fishing bots) still retain the right to Red (Gas Oil)

I wonder if the fuel boats can still use Red ?

If anyone from C&RT is reading ......................................

Commercial marine and freshwater uses

2.32 As the government has been persuaded by the cases made by representatives of the water freight sector and passenger ferries, the government has decided to maintain the entitlement to use red diesel for the whole commercial boat operating industry, regardless of whether they are operating on the UK’s rivers and other inland waterways or out at sea, to avoid ports and marinas needing to supply two types of fuel, which would otherwise have been necessary in some cases. Whilst commercial boats undertaking journeys within the limits of a port or at sea, including ferries and fishing boats, will remain entitled to the Marine Voyages Relief, maintaining their red diesel entitlement will avoid fuel suppliers having to offer two types of fuel where marinas/ports serve inland and seagoing vessels.

10 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Another duck up ...

Problem is, if I can spot that in a swift glance (and it jumped out at me), then why , oh why can nobody in CRT see it....surely they must run press releases past more than just the author before pressing "SEND"

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Problem is, if I can spot that in a swift glance (and it jumped out at me), then why , oh why can nobody in CRT see it....surely they must run press releases past more than just the author before pressing "SEND"

It would appear  that they probably did use 'proof-readers',  hence the lack of spelling errors, however, we all know that the press release can be word-perfect but be absolutely gibberish.

Do C&RT actually have any employees (that would be involved in signing off press releases) who have ANY knowledge, of the canals, and what the ACTUAL legislation is ( rather than what C&RT think it is).

Maybe C&RT should take on a few new Marketing Staff from this forum so they can actually stop looking silly.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would appear  that they probably did use 'proof-readers',  hence the lack of spelling errors, however, we all know that the press release can be word-perfect but be absolutely gibberish.

Do C&RT actually have any employees (that would be involved in signing off press releases) who have ANY knowledge, of the canals, and what the ACTUAL legislation is ( rather than what C&RT think it is).

Maybe C&RT should take on a few new Marketing Staff from this forum so they can actually stop looking silly.

They do.

..@Debbyfiggy

Unfortunately, they are more employed to spot negativity and problem PR incoming....along with keeping tabs on Trentside Dunkley🙂

Lets bash CRT when they get stuff wrong, which they do quite a bit, but not bash them when they get stuff right.

The article refers to the removal of the subsidy on propulsion fuel which occurred a few years ago. The words "additionally" and "propulsion" sort of indicate this.

CRT are suggesting that a partial re-introduction of cheaper (not fully taxed) propulsion fuel, as long as its HVO, would be a good thing. I think this is quite a good idea.

I am also not really sure why they needed a grant to move to HVO, but if they can get one then why not?. Its possible they want to install some new tanks to keep their options open should HVO not be suitable. This is a very very small risk but if they did wreck some engines/fuel systems they would get a load of criticism.

• Greenie 1

Somewhere in writing the press releases there must be a facility for correction or for elaboration and this example seems to be a case for a revised press release where the exceptions are listed, such as commercial traffic and the right of discount for heating, Maybe those on the forum who have links with CRT could suggest this.