best narrowboat mattress

haza

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Has one of theirs on the last boat https://edwardianbedding.co.uk/narrowboat-mattresses/     Made to measure with a wide choice of internal construction.

We have one in Trojan. It folds two-thirds/one-third for storage (and so that you can get it in and out of the boat). 14 years old, still very comfortable.

We used https://www.made2measuremattress.co.uk/ recently. They have quite a range of mattress types, in the end we went for an “ortho memory” foam one. Very hard foam with a couple inches of much softer memory foam on top. It is pretty firm but we absolutely love it. We like it so much we’ve now ordered one for the house, should be here next week, can’t wait…

Edwardian Bedding was about £700 compared to the £400 we spent. 

• Greenie 1

Not too bad. The pinch point is the height of the door aperture, which varies a bit depending on the design of the boat.  We have the bedroom at the back and a trad stern with rear engine, so it was a bit squeaky getting the new mattress (4’ 5”) in  - it had to be bent into a bit of a curve. But ultimately not too difficult for 2 people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2021 at 10:12, JoeC said:

I don't have a boat (yet) but how easy is it to get a 4' 6" mattress into a narrowboat? I know Emma / Eve etc. roll up but what about ordinary mattresses?

Cheers

Joe

Easy - but depends on how big a tin opener you've got 🥴.

Seriously but 🙂. A lot depends on boat construction and/ or layout. Our front doors are easier than rear hatch but there is a galley and shower room in the way. 'Rollups' make the job easier but definitely a two  person job for a full size. Can be made easier with a couple of straps across the width. Gives handlers something to hold onto. But all worth the effort - we started off with a lump of foam on hardboard. Now spring interior on slats. 😁

On 07/12/2021 at 20:15, SteveLevis said:

..we got an "Emma" mattress during one of their sales....really nice!

I have an Emma mattress too.  It's pretty good but I'm not sure why it's won so many awards, I've slept on many other mattress which are much the same.

Edited by doratheexplorer