3g Blackstone clutch plates

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hi folks. Does anyone happen to have any clutch plates (ferodo type and the smaller iron plates) for sale? 

Part numbers 

294-40320  (3 off) 

294-40310   (2 off) 

I've been chasing the feeling that prince's gearbox is slipping and have taken my box apart to find that most of the plates are cracked to pieces so I'm planning on fitting new/ serviceable ones but my usual source for parts doesn't have any.. 

Many thanks.. S

11 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Hi folks. Does anyone happen to have any clutch plates (ferodo type and the smaller iron plates) for sale? 

Part numbers 

294-40320  (3 off) 

294-40310   (2 off) 

I've been chasing the feeling that prince's gearbox is slipping and have taken my box apart to find that most of the plates are cracked to pieces so I'm planning on fitting new/ serviceable ones but my usual source for parts doesn't have any.. 

Many thanks.. S

These are on eBay at the moment.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-PETTER-ORIGINAL-NEW-FERODO-3G-CLUTCH-PLATE-for-FR4-6-JP2-3-/304218800786?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

not mine…I’m just following them! 

Just be aware that I think there was some design changes on the 3G box so I’m not sure if the clutch plates changed. 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

These are on eBay at the moment.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-PETTER-ORIGINAL-NEW-FERODO-3G-CLUTCH-PLATE-for-FR4-6-JP2-3-/304218800786?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

not mine…I’m just following them! 

Just be aware that I think there was some design changes on the 3G box so I’m not sure if the clutch plates changed. 

Thanks, I also have those saved on ebay but I can't find the iron plates on there at all. Was hoping to buy the lot from one person and wasn't sure whether £50 per plate was an alright price or a rip off, having never looked into it before :)

1 minute ago, sparrowcycles said:

Thanks, I also have those saved on ebay but I can't find the iron plates on there at all. Was hoping to buy the lot from one person and wasn't sure whether £50 per plate was an alright price or a rip off, having never looked into it before :)

It’s more than I was willing to pay to have them in my spares pile!…I do already have a set tho I brought years ago that were poorly listed so I paid 99p for 5….but that was very lucky!! You could try @steamraiser2 for the metal plates as he’s said he had a pile of 3G boxes as people prefer PRM’s…if he’s still got them? 

I think it’s possible to find a lining company to make some new ones but I presume you’d need a pattern or a CAD file. 

37 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s more than I was willing to pay to have them in my spares pile!…I do already have a set tho I brought years ago that were poorly listed so I paid 99p for 5….but that was very lucky!! You could try @steamraiser2 for the metal plates as he’s said he had a pile of 3G boxes as people prefer PRM’s…if he’s still got them? 

I think it’s possible to find a lining company to make some new ones but I presume you’d need a pattern or a CAD file. 

Exactly, seemed steep to me. 

Cool ill ask steamraiser2. 

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to find a new set of all clutch plates. Just in case anyone is interested the iron plates are also used in the FR4 and 6 gearbox but use a different part number, I found a pair at Sleeman hawkens in this way and they were £160 per plate cheaper than I'd be quoted elsewhere. 

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

I managed to find a new set of all clutch plates. Just in case anyone is interested the iron plates are also used in the FR4 and 6 gearbox but use a different part number, I found a pair at Sleeman hawkens in this way and they were £160 per plate cheaper than I'd be quoted elsewhere. 

That’s cool. Well done. I’ve noticed S & H say on there 3G parts if they are pre or post 1960 from which I assume there was some changes to the box but I’ve never been able to either find out what they are or indeed what age my box is as it’s missing the serial number from the engine. 

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

That’s cool. Well done. I’ve noticed S & H say on there 3G parts if they are pre or post 1960 from which I assume there was some changes to the box but I’ve never been able to either find out what they are or indeed what age my box is as it’s missing the serial number from the engine. 

It might be that the iron plates are slightly different. Of the plates I've taken out one has grooves machined into it and the other doesn't. 

I've been trying to find out why the plates crack but can't get an answer. I'd like to try to avoid it happening again! 

Finger crossed this all makes a difference to my gearbox! 

16 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

It might be that the iron plates are slightly different. Of the plates I've taken out one has grooves machined into it and the other doesn't. 

I've been trying to find out why the plates crack but can't get an answer. I'd like to try to avoid it happening again! 

Finger crossed this all makes a difference to my gearbox! 

I wonder if the adjustment was done up too tight or if the friction plates were slipping they were getting hot? I was always warned not to over tighten the adjustment.