New Boater, Old Boat, Too long ?

Andy The Truck

Featured Posts

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

My small experiences with AS2 engines were that they were easy starters, slow to rev but solid. Incredibly noisy though with a definite roar from the fan/flywheel.

Very much like their cars .. except the noise .. very quite hence the motto for AS “As quite as the Sphinx “.. 

30 minutes ago, Andy The Truck said:

That’s the one.. as for crime.. plenty perpetrated against the people of this country every day my friend .. but if you go back on the thread you will noticed that fate has now been circumvented . 

Indeed .. but I’m not from Essex .. only have to live here.. so not that fussed about Atomic bombs.. and as I lived 4 miles from Devonport Dockyard as a child the threat of imminent nuclear annihilation holds no new fear for me 💥

AAhhhhh from Guzz then. Quick quiz question for you. What was the first ship to go into the ooge Frigate complex in the Dockyard? I was on it listening to the band of The Royal Marines as we went in. 

Pisces, the boat I started on in the 1960's was officially 71ft 4inches long without fenders, and we easily got along the GU with fenders, and all around Birmingham etc, I also know that other Star class boats easily navigated the K&A so you should not have any problems in the Midlands or South.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

AAhhhhh from Guzz then. Quick quiz question for you. What was the first ship to go into the ooge Frigate complex in the Dockyard? I was on it listening to the band of The Royal Marines as we went in. 

Oh I thought you were going to say you was there when the Royal William yard opened 😂🤣😅.    No idea mate but it wasn’t me playing as you went past.. that was another Tuba player ... Gulpers mate 👍👍

2 minutes ago, Andy The Truck said:

Oh I thought you were going to say you was there when the Royal William yard opened 😂🤣😅.    No idea mate but it wasn’t me playing as you went past.. that was another Tuba player ... Gulpers mate 👍👍

I didn’t know Nelson ... but my oppo did 😉

• Haha 1

I knew an old boatman who had an AS2. Whenever he went in the engine hole to use the bucket he’d say just going to see Sidney. Never measured our Town class Grand Unions but only lock ever was at Barrow on the Soar and this was a few inches short and you needed to single out and get the bow across before you could open the bottom gate. The main thing to check is how straight it is and many narrow locks have slight bulges.

You say you have the money for the work that needs doing, but I'm wondering why you'd want to take on the work that the previous owner has neglected? Unless of course this is reflected in the price taking into account costs of materials, tools and your time & labour? You've owned boats before so you obviously appreciate the work involved.

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You say you have the money for the work that needs doing, but I'm wondering why you'd want to take on the work that the previous owner has neglected? Unless of course this is reflected in the price taking into account costs of materials, tools and your time & labour? You've owned boats before so you obviously appreciate the work involved.

I just like interesting projects 👍

4 hours ago, Andy The Truck said:

Just what i wanted to hear David, Thank you..   As i suspected  The 70MAX was more a guideline than a rule 😉   Not a problem with ever going to Leeds or Liverpool...  I've been ... they are dumps     

OK... Well I can return the industrial size angle grinder to its box... not required...   Thanks  

I take it you haven’t been on the K&A what I’ve seen there is a big issue with continues moorers making parts of the canal a dump with the state of their boats and lifestyle.
 Don’t judge the Canals by the City’s they pass through as there’s miles before and after that the City dwellers don’t see.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Never measured our Town class Grand Unions but only lock ever was at Barrow on the Soar and this was a few inches short and you needed to single out and get the bow across before you could open the bottom gate.

Nope, not Barrow, but Bishops Meadow, bottom end of Loughborough, even I at 70 feet have to stay in place and wait for other boat to leave before I can shuffle out.

Well today we went down Library lock in Todmorden in a modern boat that is a bit closer to 71 than 70. As always it was hard work. Took about an hour to drain off the excess water that was overtopping the gates and would otherwise have given us a hard time. Plenty of time to walk round to Tod Almighty to get a wonderful veggie Pennine pasty.

If you want an easy life then 68' is a good choice, if you like challenging boating then you should be fine. The K&A will be ok because its wide locks, there are maybe 4 tight ones. Evesham lock on the Avon will be the real challenge. The big issue with big boats is going down locks with leaky top gates.

The HNC might be impossible, not sure. Handling a big boat single handed (or even two handed) is hard work and will become impossible at some stage in the ageing process.

Just what i wanted to hear David, Thank you..   As i suspected  The 70MAX was more a guideline than a rule 😉   Not a problem with ever going to Leeds or Liverpool...  I've been ... they are dumps    

point of order.

whilst i wont disagree with you it is only fair to point out that sdome of the bits in between are very nice indeed

2 minutes ago, 36national said:

Just what i wanted to hear David, Thank you..   As i suspected  The 70MAX was more a guideline than a rule 😉   Not a problem with ever going to Leeds or Liverpool...  I've been ... they are dumps    

point of order.

whilst i wont disagree with you it is only fair to point out that sdome of the bits in between are very nice indeed

And I doubt he has ever had a Narrowboat before never mind done the L&L or any Canals. 
 Glad he’s dreaming of getting a 71’6” working boat so he won’t be doing the dumps up North.

22 hours ago, 36national said:

ekkythump i say that something of a googly isnt it suggesting that one forego the pleasures of Burnley and Nelson in favour of anywhere within 100 miles of Nelson's Column

That’s fine by me, let him get his 71’6” working boat to renovate and live the dream on the congested k&A and around London and leave the quiet dumps of the North for us to suffer. They are really dumps for all you “TOWIE” lot, your far better down South😂

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, Andy The Truck said:

I'm from Devon Boy...  Obviously the meaning of good humoured banter is lost on you.   

Sad... Very sad  

Do you know the difference between were and where?  The first person singular should be a capital letter.

As far as rectal openings, don't be so rude.

Edited by Athy
To remove unnaccepble language in quoted post.

I'm from Devon Boy...  Obviously the meaning of good humoured banter is lost on you.   

Sad... Very sad  

You obviously thought that Plymouth was a dump too then and you moved to Essex. Maybe boating on the canals up North and visiting the dumps you mentioned has made me loose my sense of humour😂

Have you bought your boat yet?

Is that good humoured banter or having a laugh?

Edited by Athy
To remove unacceptable quoted language

Sad... Very sad  

Thats very unfair unless thats banter too- the thread is full of helpful comments, sadly the bar appears to have been lowered by you referring to Leeds and Liverpool as "dumps" 

Good luck with your boating journeys 

Edited by Athy
To remove unacceptable quoted language