Another One Sunk...Norton Junction.

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Wooden butty Aerial on the bottom at the top of Buckby, after quite a time on the bottom at the puddlebanks.

From Alan Buckle of Star Crafts, helping Ryan on Southern Cross this Winter.

It was afloat 3 weeks ago with a kit of bits to build a 6 cylinder Gardner laying in the hold

• Greenie 1

Its a rubbish place because it’s vulnerable, to being crunched even more there. When I saw it had disappeared from the encampment outside Braunston I assumed it had been broken up. Delighted to see it floating at buckby, less delighted when it was still there 2 weeks later. Now there is a risk it will be lost, unless rapid and sympathetic refloating happens.

10 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Been there since the end of September. 

Well the enforcement locally has completely gone to pot, one boat locally not moved for 2y years now(not liveaboard), and another not moved for 18 months after previously being on the last stage of enforcement....so I dont see any chance of resolvement of this soon.

25 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Been there since the end of September. 

That caused me to check my photos of my trip to London and back. I generally snap any notable boat I pass but Ariel doesn't appear.

Nothing snapped between some of the usuals at Dodford and then Effingham to the east of Braunston Tunnel and that was in mid to late October. I'm not disputing it was there, just thought I might be able to corroborate with photographic evidence.

Edited by Captain Pegg

12 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That caused me to check my photos of my trip to London and back. I generally snap any notable boat I pass but Ariel doesn't appear.

Nothing snapped between some of the usuals at Dodford and then Effingham to the east of Braunston Tunnel and that was in mid to late October. I'm not disputing it was there, just thought I might be able to corroborate with photographic evidence.

A comment on Facebook said it had been there months

8 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I can lend you a photo if you want to fill in the gaps!!! 🤣

The photos I was sent showed her up Braunston on the 27th Sept and moored at Buckby 29th.

Kind regards

Dan

The video title says Aerial is loaded as well as sitting on the bottom. If this is true raising it will be a whole lot more difficult I would imagine.

Can't actually see any cargo in the video though.

Numpty edit:

Oh I see, Alan means Southern Cross is loaded, not Aerial. Duhhh!!

Edited by MtB

22 hours ago, Liam said:

Owned by Ben Frost, masquerading on here as @Mr Lister

Is this the same Ben Frost who keeps on disappearing with people's money after promising to do works? His name is written on the wall of most of the Elsan points in London with a warning not to use him...

Edited by cheesegas
  • Horror 1

55 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Is this the same Ben Frost who keeps on disappearing with people's money after promising to do works? His name is written on the wall of most of the Elsan points in London with a warning not to use him...

The very same.

I'm sure 'Hesperus' has been around the Cropredy area for several years. She was sunk bankside above the village for weeks or months, then I remember her being taken to Welsh Richard's slipway at Appletree Farm for repairs. Since then she's been on one of the offside farm moorings below the village and the owner - a dreadlocked man with a cheerfully far-away manner - has been working on her, as well as putting some figurines (tailor's dummies?) in the hold. Have I got the right boat?

Edited by Athy

19 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

SmallIMG_20211118_134759.jpg

Like most boaters I'm usually sad to see any boat sunk, but that one looks like such a pile of crap before it went down it doesn't bother me that much - other than it might potentially pollute the water.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

5 hours ago, MtB said:

The video title says Aerial is loaded as well as sitting on the bottom. If this is true raising it will be a whole lot more difficult I would imagine.

Can't actually see any cargo in the video though.

Numpty edit:

Oh I see, Alan means Southern Cross is loaded, not Aerial. Duhhh!!

All that was in it was enough bits to build a 6 cylinder Gardner and about a dozen tubes of spray foam

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Like most boaters I'm usually sad to see any boat sunk, but that one looks like such a pile of crap before it went down it doesn't bother me that much - other than it might potentially pollute the water.

It is fortunate indeed that people did not adopt such a negative attitude towards the "piles of crap"  which were dragged out of Barry scrapyard and which are now running, restored and gleaming, on Britain's preserved railways.