Metal spikes in base plate ?

MarkCC

Featured Posts

Hey 

So boat #2 is currently stripped out pretty much. I was wondering if anyone knew the purpose 🤔  of these metal "spikes" Well bolts i suppose. 

I'm calling them spikes as Mrs stood one and it went through her new wellies. 

Half tempted to cut them out unless there's a reason to keep them? Its possible the ballast sits on top of them maybe ? 

Any spared wisdom gratefully received. 20211204_153624.jpg.08c9c33deb625a0141b265f12558292a.jpg

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Keel bolts?

No, i've seen these on steel girders under bridges, they are to stop pigeons nesting on the baseplate.

or just maybe.....its an overplated Springer and the overplating was put on with these little nuts and bolts, just hope the welder made a good job of welding over the heads from below.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

No, i've seen these on steel girders under bridges, they are to stop pigeons nesting on the baseplate.

or just maybe.....its an overplated Springer and the overplating was put on with these little nuts and bolts, just hope the welder made a good job of welding over the heads from below.

I was imagining worse. They look to me like M6 x 50mm gutter bolts with those square nuts. And behind them are 'penny' washers, which made me wonder if they were repairs to rust holes. 

But the regular spacing suggests perhaps not, and Dave has it, sort of. Overplating but with nuts and bolts instead of welding, would be my guess. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was imagining worse. They look to me like M6 x 50mm gutter bolts with those square nuts. And behind them are 'penny' washers, which made me wonder if they were repairs to rust holes. 

But the regular spacing suggests perhaps not, and Dave has it, sort of. Overplating but with nuts and bolts instead of welding, would be my guess. 

Hilti nails from a disgruntled fisher man to me.🤪Don’t see any thread on the spikes. But I bow to your superior knowledge 😜

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Probably to hold the  base plate in position for welding.

There is no base plate on a Springer. Normally its just a weld in the vee but on this hull the vee seems to have been bridged.  Worrying unless you know what is outside.

25 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Hilti nails from a disgruntled fisher man to me.🤪Don’t see any thread on the spikes. But I bow to your superior eyesight 😜

Corrected that for ya!

What do you think those square things are at the base of each spike, if not nuts?

image.png.83cd9173ae26f958b9ced94ace83429a.png

24 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There is no base plate on a Springer. Normally its just a weld in the vee but on this hull the vee seems to have been bridged.  Worrying unless you know what is outside.

I had always assumed that Springers did have a flat centre section like in that picture, but have never seen one close up and out of the water. I have seen a boat from the Springer-era that did have this construction. With that shape I can see why a welder might just choose to bolt the overplating on before welding it.

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

Corrected that for ya!

What do you think those square things are at the base of each spike, if not nuts?

image.png.83cd9173ae26f958b9ced94ace83429a.png

Roofing bolts are not very good bolts for that type of application the heads tend to come off very easy and the nuts are never a good fit to the bolt

Graham

They (atleast this one) does have a flatish bottom for about a 1/3rd (say 2ft ish)  

More questions tomorrow- probably about the wet exhaust and the mitsubitshi engine 

Thanks for everyone's consideration. And of she sinks I will let folks know 😉

Mark 

Chas Hardern hire boats were built like that amongst quite a few others. The keel was designed with the Llangollen in mind, so the central strip took most of the wear, being easily repaired, and the boats floated better with the oncoming current.

• Greenie 1