Damian, is he a duck or a goose?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Also handy when going under a bridge with little darlings on waiting to drop stones or gob on you.

As is a catapult, and bag of gobstoppers as ammo.

If in the unlikely event of being challenged over it, one can point out one was just giving them some sweets....

22 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Boaters' update. Is Damian so silly that he doesn't know ducks from geese?  Just proves that this lot in charge don't know anything about canals.

What about the idea we all join hands and get the biggest engine to power the rest of us, apparently it's very easy 😅

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

As is a catapult, and bag of gobstoppers as ammo.

If in the unlikely event of being challenged over it, one can point out one was just giving them some sweets....

Ice cubes .leave no evidences 😜

13 hours ago, MtB said:

I thought pretty much everything farmers find a bloody nuisance was on the protected list now. Canada geese, pigeons, badgers. Stand by for rats to be added next. 

Pigeons can be shot at any time of the year under a general licence for crop protection as can geese and other birds 

GL42: general licence to kill or take certain species of wild birds to prevent serious damage - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Happy 1

On 04/12/2021 at 10:51, matty40s said:

In case anyone cant find it......

20211204_105108.jpg

The geese are self identifying as ducks. 

Edited by Jim Riley

Boating & Navigation, maintenance and customer information remain the top three contact reasons nationally, Facilities and asset maintenance are the biggest sources of enquiry which correlates with the reasons for general levels of dissatisfaction from the surveys. To counter concerns we are having a concerted push on boating communications. Focussing on proving that we listen to and address boater priorities with examples and photographs in our fortnightly boaters updates.

Quote from latest CRT Board Minutes (my bold)

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

To counter concerns we are having a concerted push on boating communications.

As a boater I don't want them to have "a concerted push on boating communications", I want them to fix all the cfkuing leaking lock gates.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MtB said:

As a boater I don't want them to have "a concerted push on boating communications", I want them to fix all the cfkuing leaking lock gates.

I'd be more specific, one can see leaking gates, but one cannot tell which door paddles and or side paddles actually work.  I have seen yellow bags over some apparatus, but not others which don't work, sometimes tied up with white tape, sometimes not, and then there was the mysterious hazard tape on fully functioning beams, it's just very confusing that every single lock is different, there may be good reason for certain features, but I struggle to think of many. 

I won't be spending another winter penned on the L&L, is it better down south? 

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, MtB said:

Sorry to say that CRT will not be fixing all the leaking lock gates but rest assured that boater's update will provide you with photos of the two that they do fix. This is of course subject to CRT geting all their canada geese in a row.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'd be more specific, one can see leaking gates, but one cannot tell which door paddles and or side paddles actually work.  I have seen yellow bags over some apparatus, but not others which don't work, sometimes tied up with white tape, sometimes not, and then there was the mysterious hazard tape on fully functioning beams, it's just very confusing that every single lock is different, there may be good reason for certain features, but I struggle to think of many. 

No! 

It's just the same down here. I've no idea how I manage to get anywhere.

Not only that but it's similar down here on the roads. Every road junction and roundabout I come to is different. So confusing!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I’m not too sure what you mean by “every lock is different” ?? That’s part of the charm of the canals for me…I find they are broadly the same on each waterway however….learning how your boat reacts in different locks is part of the skill of boating I find. 

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’m not too sure what you mean by “every lock is different” ?? That’s part of the charm of the canals for me…I find they are broadly the same on each waterway however….learning how your boat reacts in different locks is part of the skill of boating I find. 

I think that Jo means that it is confusing when every lock is broken in a different way

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'd be more specific, one can see leaking gates, but one cannot tell which door paddles and or side paddles actually work.  I have seen yellow bags over some apparatus, but not others which don't work, sometimes tied up with white tape, sometimes not, and then there was the mysterious hazard tape on fully functioning beams, it's just very confusing that every single lock is different,

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

….learning how your boat reacts in different locks is part of the skill of boating I find. 

^^^This^^^

This is also the reason I am a curmudgeonly boater who prefers to lock my own boat through. without the 'help' of vollies, other boaters, or any random with a windlass in their hand.

It drives me demented when a clueless but bossy type of woman appears at the other end of the lock and starts lifting a paddle without making eye contact or ANY sort of acknowledgement of me just as I'm closing the gate at the other end. And yes it is more often than not, a woman.

Awaiting incoming.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, MtB said:

^^^This^^^

This is also the reason I am a curmudgeonly boater who prefers to lock my own boat through. without the 'help' of vollies, other boaters, or any random with a windlass in their hand.

It drives me demented when a clueless but bossy type of woman appears at the other end of the lock and starts lifting a paddle without making eye contact or ANY sort of acknowledgement of me just as I'm closing the gate at the other end. And yes it is more often than not, a woman.

Both my other half (female) and I have been known to be more than direct and forthright with others who have tried to “help” us through a lock without asking…both vollies and other boaters. 

As she invariably lockwheels she is often greeted by consternation when she asks either a lockwheeler or boater if they are ok before she draws a paddle etc….sometimes even hostility for not just whipping a paddle up..something that if it was done to me would (and has!) resulted in a frank exchange of opinion. 

On 03/12/2021 at 21:22, LadyG said:

Was there anything  of interest, like how they intend to stop cyclists knocking over pedestrians, I ve had quite a few scares, they just think I have eyes in the back of my head, no effort to alert me, day or night. 15mph is quite excessive, what about 4mph?

Am I the only one who shouts "ding ding" as they walk under the bridge? I do it because cyclists usually don't seem to use their bells.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Both my other half (female) and I have been known to be more than direct and forthright with others who have tried to “help” us through a lock without asking…both vollies and other boaters. 

As she invariably lockwheels she is often greeted by consternation when she asks either a lockwheeler or boater if they are ok before she draws a paddle etc….sometimes even hostility for not just whipping a paddle up..something that if it was done to me would (and has!) resulted in a frank exchange of opinion. 

If I am waiting to lock I will assist a boat coming the other way, but when they stand on the stern and even refuse to look in your direction when your stood by the paddle pees me off

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

If I am waiting to lock I will assist a boat coming the other way, but when they stand on the stern and even refuse to look in your direction when your stood by the paddle pees me off

My OH has been very vocal in the past when what appears to be a lone boater at a lock suddenly has crew appear from below decks once the lock/bridge etc has been operated....

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

My OH has been very vocal in the past when what appears to be a lone boater at a lock suddenly has crew appear from below decks once the lock/bridge etc has been operated....

You have to be careful not to be  judgemental though, I often appear to be single handing, sometimes its not safe for swmbo to be up on the lockside, she has narcolepsy with cataplexy. She feels guilty though, because if what people might think. I say it's nowt to do with them, ignore the judgemental t***s.