Damian, is he a duck or a goose?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Was there anything  of interest, like how they intend to stop cyclists knocking over pedestrians, I ve had quite a few scares, they just think I have eyes in the back of my head, no effort to alert me, day or night. 15mph is quite excessive, what about 4mph?

Are they going to get rid of geese? 

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Was there anything  of interest, like how they intend to stop cyclists knocking over pedestrians, I ve had quite a few scares, they just think I have eyes in the back of my head, no effort to alert me, day or night. 15mph is quite excessive, what about 4mph?

Canada Geese, yes please. Noisy, dirty, inedible useless birds.  Some fool put them on the protected list.  Should be shot, birds and him.

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ooooh  deja vu

Edited by Tracy D'arth

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Canada Geese, yes please.   Dirty, noisy, inedible, non native pests. Some fool put them on the protected list.  The birds and him.

• Greenie 1

This boaters update makes it even more clear that CRT think boaters are a PIA and they really just want a nice water feature for the cyclists/runners etc....maybe with the odd cardboard cut out boat to look nice.....not impressed at all.....

Oh and apparently CRT now have a clothing range with either a canal or river scene on it...of course neither feature a boat on the waterway.......

27 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Canada Geese, yes please. Noisy, dirty, inedible useless birds.  Some fool put them on the protected list.  Should be shot, birds and him.

Canada Geese can be shot in the shooting season, if I remember correctly 1 Sep to last day of January Jan unless its below the tidal high water mark and then its 20 Feb.  If you get a licence they can be shot at any time for crop protection etc.

8 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Canada Geese, yes please.   Dirty, noisy, inedible, non native pests. Some fool put them on the protected list.  The birds and him.

I thought pretty much everything farmers find a bloody nuisance was on the protected list now. Canada geese, pigeons, badgers. Stand by for rats to be added next. 

Builders run into similar problems. Any proposal to build anything, anywhere gets usually opposed on the grounds that the common-as-muck endangered specie crested newts is present on the site. They seems to be present always, everywhere and a whole industry seems to have grown up around fencing off development sites and evicting them newts for a year or so before work can start.

.... and breathe .....

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I thought pretty much everything farmers find a bloody nuisance was on the protected list now. Canada geese, pigeons, badgers. Stand by for rats to be added next. 

Builders run into similar problems. Any proposal to build anything, anywhere gets usually opposed on the grounds that the common-as-muck endangered specie crested newts is present on the site. They seems to be present always, everywhere and a whole industry seems to have grown up around fencing off development sites and evicting them newts for a year or so before work can start.

.... and breathe .....

New business opportunity. 

Hire a newt or two.

A serious tool for any "Residents Progressive Society"  to literally liven up  your opposition to any proposed development near you. 

Other "threatened" species also available.

Could beat going out in the coldest of nights livening up old boilers. 

I wouldnt laugh .....local morons put a dead koala into a palm tree to provide an "anti development event" for the local free paper.....thankfully closed by Murdoch to save a few pennies........They call em NIMBIES...old retired residents who are "agin it"    it being anything,and everything....especially new houses.

13 hours ago, frangar said:

This boaters update makes it even more clear that CRT think boaters are a PIA and they really just want a nice water feature for the cyclists/runners etc....maybe with the odd cardboard cut out boat to look nice.....not impressed at all.....

Oh and apparently CRT now have a clothing range with either a canal or river scene on it...of course neither feature a boat on the waterway.......

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

To be fair, in this issue there is a very good article on the future funding of CRT:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-3-december-2021?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=boating_2021

3 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It was that article I was referring to…basically saying “stop complaining and let us tarmac some more cycle ways”

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

It was that article I was referring to…basically saying “stop complaining and let us tarmac some more cycle ways”

I actually think the article is quite balanced, outlining the need for Government support and the the rationale for justifying this, whilst recognising the importance of boating.

40 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I actually think the article is quite balanced, outlining the need for Government support and the the rationale for justifying this, whilst recognising the importance of boating.

The article is ripped from Richard Parrys recent youtube interview.

In case anyone from. CRT is reading this, apart from Damien, of course, I suggest they have white lines for cyclists, and keep walkers apart. 

I am thinking about carrying some sort of spray or airhorn to annoy aggresive cyclists as much as they annoy me! Might give them a fright! 

Edited by LadyG

58 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In case anyone from. CRT is reading this, apart from Damien, of course, I suggest they have white lines for cyclists, and keep walkers apart. 

I am thinking about carrying some sort of spray or airhorn to annoy aggresive cyclists as much as they annoy me! Might give them a fright! 

My hate for cyclists has increased tenfold since I moved onto the waterways. Maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses, but I'm sure going back a few years people used to dismount to get past? Now everyone seems to think those walking should crawl into a bush and make room for the cyclist to continue full speed? Now I see every cyclist as an argument coming towards me as I refuse to move further than to the side of the path, as I would for someone on foot. Not sure when the attitudes changed to cyclists being king of the towpath? They all act it though... 

1 hour ago, CanalRetentive said:

My hate for cyclists has increased tenfold since I moved onto the waterways. Maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses, but I'm sure going back a few years people used to dismount to get past? Now everyone seems to think those walking should crawl into a bush and make room for the cyclist to continue full speed? Now I see every cyclist as an argument coming towards me as I refuse to move further than to the side of the path, as I would for someone on foot. Not sure when the attitudes changed to cyclists being king of the towpath? They all act it though... 

No they don't.

I slow right down for pedestrians on the towpath, and if they still look at all bothered by my approach I stop and get off, and walk past. So there's a data point of one contradicting your generalisation!

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

No they don't.

I slow right down for pedestrians on the towpath, and if they still look at all bothered by my approach I stop and get off, and walk past. So there's a data point of one contradicting your generalisation!

I'd certainly agree that it is an incorrect generalisation, and it is only a minority of cyclists who misuse the towpath. From time to time we have had displays on the towpath when Kennet has been open for visitors, and the majority of cyclists slow down. I have chatted to some who are just as concerned about speeding cyclists as other towpath users.