current RCD certificate

MRBear

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

I am selling my beautiful boat which is just over 2 years old ( i bought it brand new), it still has a valid RCD conformity certificate, however, the potential buyers surveyor has highlighted that the "outs" are too low to the water, i presume he's referring to the exhaust outlet which sits virtually on the water line but has a swan neck internally. My question is, What recourse do i have against the builders of my boat or the RCD issuing body themselves if my buyers pull out and i loose the sale because of this?. I did query these "outs" levels before i purchased my boat, which i can prove in an email trail. 

3 minutes ago, MRBear said:

Hi Guys

I am selling my beautiful boat which is just over 2 years old ( i bought it brand new), it still has a valid RCD conformity certificate, however, the potential buyers surveyor has highlighted that the "outs" are too low to the water, i presume he's referring to the exhaust outlet which sits virtually on the water line but has a swan neck internally. My question is, What recourse do i have against the builders of my boat or the RCD issuing body themselves if my buyers pull out and i loose the sale because of this?. I did query these "outs" levels before i purchased my boat, which i can prove in an email trail. 

Beware - if t has a swan neck it could well be the surveyor is wrong. We cant tell without measuring the up-stand from waterline to the underside of the top bend.

Many sea boats have "outs" and or ins below the waterline but with suitable swan necks or up-stands inside the hull.

Edited by Tony Brooks

5 minutes ago, MRBear said:

Hi Guys

For any inlet/outlet (hull opening) which has a fixed internal waterproof pipe going upwards, IIRC it's the height of the inner open end of the pipe (or swan neck) above the waterline that matters, not the position of the external hole.

So if the rules say "opening must be 250mm above waterline", you can have a hull opening close to (or below) the waterline so long as the internal pipe is at least 250mm above it.

I'm pretty sure that's what the rules actually say, can somebody confirm?

If I'm right, the surveyor is interpreting the rules wrongly...

Edited by IanD

If it has a decent swan neck then the builder has done his job and if you did express your displeasure to him he would probably say you have filled the boat with so much stuff its your problem - well that's my prediction anyway. So far as the RCD is concerned it could possibly cause the builder some problems although probably not many but it would not help you unless you started a long, possibly expensive and probably unsuccessful legal thing.  The cooling water inlet on my boat is - of course - below water level but the 'opening' is well above, hopefully your outlet is too. 

There is though one other point, Being a belt and braces sort of person I would fit an anti syphon thingy to the system, something like this   https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=eDHLz6OZ&id=61E82FAAFF45B976F37CA58CEA5A80C76AC69172&thid=OIP.eDHLz6OZwS-OkoFGKWC9uAHaI_&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.vetus.com%2fmedia%2fcatalog%2fproduct%2fcache%2f1%2fimage%2f9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%2fA%2fS%2fASDV.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.7831cbcfa399c12f8e9281462960bdb8%3frik%3dcpHGaseAWuqMpQ%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=1822&expw=1500&q=vetus+exhaust+anti+syphon+valve&simid=608039396442926000&FORM=IRPRST&ck=CE09337A29A759200FFDB3E40F3E5D0A&selectedIndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

Edited by Bee

57 minutes ago, MRBear said:

My question is, What recourse do i have against the builders of my boat or the RCD issuing body themselves if my buyers pull out and i loose the sale because of this?

In practice, none. 

In theory, under consumer legislation, as the original purchaser of a new boat, you have a potential case against boatbuilder. But you would probably have to sue, which would be an expensive and uncertain process.

I don't think the certifier has any direct legal obligation to you (unless you engaged them directly), so any action you take against them would have to prove that not only had they breached the legal requirements, but also that they owed you a duty of care.  The lawyers could make a lot of money out of this.  You wouldn't!

Trading Standards could bring a case, but their resources are so thinly spread that I very much doubt they would prioritise a case like this.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

In practice, none. 

In theory, under consumer legislation, as the original purchaser of a new boat, you have a potential case against boatbuilder. But you would probably have to sue, which would be an expensive and uncertain process.

I don't think the certifier has any direct legal obligation to you (unless you engaged them directly), so any action you take against them would have to prove that not only had they breached the legal requirements, but also that they owed you a duty of care.  The lawyers could make a lot of money out of this.  You wouldn't!

Trading Standards could bring a case, but their resources are so thinly spread that I very much doubt they would prioritise a case like this.

It sounds more likely that the boatbuilder/certifier isn't at fault and the surveyor is misinterpreting the rules, but this isn't confirmed yet.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Indeed. But if the boat is non compliant with the RCD requirements, then my post stands.

But the RCD requirements are height from waterline to opening (e.g. open pipe end) *inside* the boat, not the external opening...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, MRBear said:

.............. it still has a valid RCD conformity certificate

Do not get confused about the RCD / RCR certificate - the certificate is not like the BSS (or MOT) the RCD it does not expire it is for the LIFE OF THE VESSEL and only becomes invalidated when somone does work to the boat to invalidate it (change engine, rewire, work on gas pipes etc etc) at that stage it requires a PCA (Post Construction Assessment) by a RCD / RCR approved surveyor.

Nota Bene : In the UK the 'RCD' (Recreational Craft Directive) became the RCR (Recreational Craft Requirements) in 2017 so, your boat presumably has an RCR compliance certificate.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MRBear said:

when i purchased my boat brand new it came with all the usual legal paperwork including a certificate of conformity which is valid for it's 1st 4 years.

Thanks for coming back with the updates, many don't and just leave the forum 'in the dark'.

Just for future information to anyone reading the thread at a later date the RCR is NOT VALID FOR 4 YEARS. I think the confusion comes into some peoples mind as C&RT etc accept it in lieu of the 1st BSSC so you do not need to get a BSSC for 4 years.

Since 2017 the RCR / RCD is VALID FOR THE LIFE OF THE BOAT

Any major works that affect either the engine or safety of the boat (stability, gas, electric, fuel systems etc) must be done in a compliant way. A new engine can only be fitted if it approved by the RCR (emissions and noise levels) and it is no more than 10% higher in HP than the original engine.

Any 'major works' will require a PCA (Post Construction Assessment) certificate from a surveyor on the RCR Approved list to show it has been done in compliance with the regulations.