Regulations for stove hearth build

Adam1991

Featured Posts

Hi, according to the regulations you need 150mm between stove and surrounding area, and then 225mm at the front. We are trying to design our hearth in the corner at the bow (where we were advised to put the stove and where we have seen many others put stoves). It seems almost impossible to squeeze a 'normal' sized stove in this area with these gaps. It means the steps wouldn't even cover the whole doorway. Any advice on this would be appreciated as it seems we are missing something. The stove we are looking at is 420mm wide and 310mm deep. Thanks

I personally think you were given poor advice regarding the situation of the stove. Towards the centre of the boat provides a more even heat distribution.

I have mine positioned so that the centre line outside will avoid the flue/chimney under most circumstances, but still well back in the boat.

But there will be others along who would champion your "near to front steps" situation.

Popcorn, comfy chair...

Dont forget, stoves do NOT have strict regulations as far as installation on boats goes..however, recommendations and guidelines are good to follow. Ensuring the gap behind and thickness of fire board are very important, double skin flue and yards of space less so.

39 minutes ago, Puffling said:

I personally think you were given poor advice regarding the situation of the stove. Towards the centre of the boat provides a more even heat distribution.

I have mine positioned so that the centre line outside will avoid the flue/chimney under most circumstances, but still well back in the boat.

But there will be others along who would champion your "near to front steps" situation.

Popcorn, comfy chair...

I agree. Lots of boats do have stoves at the bow but then lots of boats have it wrong.

Whoever advised Adam to install his stove at the bow is ill informed. It should be more central (bow-stern). Then if the boat is no longer than about 65ft and fairly open plan you won't even need a backboiler/central heating system.

Why stove fitting is important.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c703a40f0b6024100008b/LindyLouReport.pdf

A sobering read.

The guide @Briss links to is a summary of current best practice for stove installations to avoid something like that happening. As others have said, towards the centre of the boat is better than right at the front by the doors, despite the later position being very common.

Jen

1 hour ago, Adam Mc Gowan said:

Hi, according to the regulations you need 150mm between stove and surrounding area, and then 225mm at the front.

What regulations are they then? This is news to me. 

Good advice yes, but regulation? Not as far as I know.

9 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

I put 12mm hardy backer board with 10mm air gap and boat safety said all ok so it seams the rules are all over the place 

Boat Safety Scheme people are only looking for scorched woodwork, the stove being secured and no obvious gaps, or damage to the stove. Not the hearth and stove surround construction.

BS 8511:2010, on which the Soliftec diagram is based, is a best practice document, not a regulation. IT is important, because if you don't build to it and something goes horribly wrong, then you could be asked why you deviated from it and you'd better have a good answer. Coroners court, civil court,  the relatives at the funeral, or wherever.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1