Lily king wood burner

Sneill

Featured Posts

Hi guys 

asking for a mate 

he’s just bought a trad narrow boat which has a lily king connected to one rad and a calorifier.

he’s struggling to achieve a good heat( both water and cabin temp without going thru loads of coal ?)

is there a technique to these burners that he is unaware of ?

thanks in advance 

Edited by Sneill

They seem to be multi-fuel, so should run on coal. If he is starting from a cold boat, then the calorifier may be the problem. If I leave the boat for a few days in winter, then light the fire, then it takes hours for the calorifier to heat up. While it is doing so, it seems to suck almost all the heat from the fire. If possible, keep the stove in and ticking over all the time while on the boat. This keeps not only the cauliflower, but the rest of the boat at a reasonable temperature and is easier to bring up to a higher temperature with a bit more stoking.

Other than that, bottom air for coal as @Bod said. I find a combination of top and bottom air works well, but biased to bottom, through the grate.

Jen

7 hours ago, Sneill said:

he’s struggling to achieve a good heat( both water and cabin temp without going thru loads of coal ?)

Well in my hovel on the bank I struggle to achieve a good heat without burning much fuel too! 

When I lived aboard I used to burn 2 bags a week of good quality solid fuel (not cheapo 'house coal'). If I was heating water with it too, I'd expect three bags a week.

How much solid fuel does your mate consider to be 'loads of coal'?