Grey NB at Barrowford Top Locks is loose.

LadyG

Featured Posts

On 28/11/2021 at 15:07, TheBiscuits said:

She's also between two long term stoppages so there aren't any boats going past to ask for a tow.

Are you offering to bowhaul the boat for her?

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

Very well organised. I'm impressed!

I deliberately put my boat  between two, planned stoppages on the Lapworth flight.  According to the published programme, the lock behind would close on the Monday and the lock-ahead would re-open on the Friday; so an enforced stay for a short-week, then we could be away.

But the on-site workforce did not understand the implications of the timing - and prematurely started on yet another lock ahead.  By mid-week, the penny dropped with me that it was not going well.  Initially the workforce were a little evasive on the subject, but after a little grumbling an area supervisor turned up to make peace.  The outcome was that both boats would be trapped for three weeks - but CRT was very helpful in making life tolerable.  Water and gas (no charge) were delivered when required - which was pretty often for another boat as it had gas heating.  Regrettably, we didn't need any gas - but a (free) generator and petrol was supplied as I took the opportunity to ask RLWP to take the engine apart whilst stopped.

Unfortunately the framed generator wouldn't play nicely with the battery charger - but it's the thought that counts.

I was very organised in my CCing days, had booked a mooring off an old poster off here while he had his new boat built, and the stoppages allowed me to get there at Shardlow from Luff early in December. Had a fantastic winter cruise down, until I arrived at Derwent Mouth Lock at sunset on a Friday to find a work flat in the lock, fencing around, and the bottom lock gear already removed.

I reversed out 1/4 mile..no mean feat at dusk..got to Sawley and managed to get into the Office before they went home.

"No, it's not shut until Monday........but its shut now.......cant be, they don't finish at Weston until today.....well its shut". Paid for 7 days mooring on the visitor pontoons....then found out it would be a 14 day stoppage due to some issue.

So the next week I hid(it was BW's fault I was stuck there ... didnt come home until after the marina office was shut every evening, plugged into landline socket after dark and took it out into cratch before I left for work every morning, before they arrived. 21st December the lock re-opened and I was gone.....1 week unpaid as I thought throat was the least I could do...I was paying for 2 moorings at the time.

22 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I deliberately put my boat  between two, planned stoppages on the Lapworth flight.  According to the published programme, the lock behind would close on the Monday and the lock-ahead would re-open on the Friday; so an enforced stay for a short-week, then we could be away.

But the on-site workforce did not understand the implications of the timing - and prematurely started on yet another lock ahead.  By mid-week, the penny dropped with me that it was not going well.  Initially the workforce were a little evasive on the subject, but after a little grumbling an area supervisor turned up to make peace.  The outcome was that both boats would be trapped for three weeks - but CRT was very helpful in making life tolerable.  Water and gas (no charge) were delivered when required - which was pretty often for another boat as it had gas heating.  Regrettably, we didn't need any gas - but a (free) generator and petrol was supplied as I took the opportunity to ask RLWP to take the engine apart whilst stopped.

Unfortunately the framed generator wouldn't play nicely with the battery charger - but it's the thought that counts.

We all like moaning about CRT but they are usually pretty good to boaters when its needed.

I "knew" a boater on the K&A who moored right below a stoppage so he could spend the duration in a good spot (claiming he was unable to reverse 500yds to a winding hole). Unfortunately the start of work was delayed due to bad weather so he had to stay there waiting for the stoppage to start (claiming he did not know the work had not started). 😀

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In reality they are not much different from the 'debates' going on in the political section here, so lets not pretend that this forum is that much different if a couple (or even more) posters want to engage in a rather pointless pathetic tit for tat masquerading as a 'grown up' discussion.

Maybe that is why I dont visit the Political section on here 

2 hours ago, Chagall said:

it seems that she has managed to get her ‘broken boat’ to Greenberfield service station then they are of course so much more convenient than Barrowford

Why do you think that?

I'd be impressed if she managed to navigate the entire summit pound with no rudder - I wouldn't want to try it!

3 hours ago, MtB said:

I certainly do. He's the one who seemed to think he was doing CRT a massive favour by keeping a 'historic' boat floating (sort of). 

Over on the other channel, Kris and Dunkers have been having the most spectacular fall-out and long term slanging match. It's well worth having a read. Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of chaps. They should change to name of the forum to "The Krissy and Dunkersley Show", as not much else gets discussed over there now....

That spat shows neither of them in a good light. However most posts on Thunderboat are friendly and helpful.

Dunkley could argue with his own reflection.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

He has unfortunately gone a bit mad. Mind you this place has had its fair share of mad and damaging posters, some of them Mods!

I bet Team Mod read that twice, then noticed you used the past tense there.....!

• Happy 1