Storm Arwen

Heartland

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Are you sure it wasn't Bishop's Tipple which apparently tasted quite different from the more recent Shepherd Neame Bishop's Finger.  I am told by a Real Ale enthuasiast  friend that Bishops Tipple was bought out by Wadworths of Devizes some years ago,  but  that the Wadworths product is not a patch on the original.

Wait 'til they move into the parish of Bishops Cannings for some bright spark come up with a right new idea .. . 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MtB said:

I'm off out shortly to mend a boiler down in deepest darkest Hampshire. Wish me luck.

Ok, its Basingstoke.

Good Luck!

And wave to my 3 year old granddaughter, currently in Basingstoke Hospital with breathing difficulties, as/if you pass by. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Good Luck!

And wave to my 3 year old granddaughter, currently in Basingstoke Hospital with breathing difficulties, as/if you pass by. 

When I was a kin in hospital it made my day when people waved, even if I couldn't see them, someone would say the people down there are waving, the children's ward was second or third floor overlooking the park.

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Handy if you need to clean a drain I guess. Mind you I can’t stand landlord and others rave about it!!

You've just transported me back about 40 years to what used to be my favourite gig venue, the 100 Club. An American blues pianist was appearing, he sat down at the piano and requested a beer before he started his set. A fan duly brought a pint of bitter over for him. He took a sip, looked quizzically at the glass and said "Tastes like Drano".

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

No official warning will be issued on this occasion, but please mind your language.:D

Actually I see it's 4.2% alk, which is probably about 2% more than the original.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Good Luck!

Consider this my thoughts for her recovery and a virtual wave from me .

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, MtB said:

My first experience of 'real ale' was when I first got my driving licence in 1972 and we discovered a pub called "The Hautboy" in Ockham, Surrey, where they served a magical brew called "Bishop's Finger". 

Nothing like the Bishop's Finger one gets nowadays. 

That was a good pub. Now apartments I believe 

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Are you sure it wasn't Bishop's Tipple

Ah, I think you're right. My little grey cells have obviously been affected by it!

They also sold Theakston's "Old Peculiar", which in them days was more like rocket fuel than beer and even one pint could render one incapable of walking. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Why would anyone want to buy Boddingtons, let alone 8 pints of the stuff. A friend of mine doesn’t drink ale, but would walk miles to get a pint of John Smiths. I do despair. 

Boddingtons USED to be a good pint (when they previously did Bodkans,however, a buy out and brewery closed put paid to that.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Ah, I think you're right. My little grey cells have obviously been affected by it!

They also sold Theakston's "Old Peculiar", which in them days was more like rocket fuel than beer and even one pint could render one incapable of walking. 

I once had five pints in a night of old peculiar….needless to say I felt both old and peculiar that night….but was remarkably hangover free the next morning…I also consumed a few bottles with some prescription painkillers after a botched operation done under local anaesthetic……a nursing friend told me I should have killed myself doing it…but it did dull the pain! 

Old Peculier was legendary in the 70s. Whilst staying in Whitby for the folk festival, I learned of a pub in Egton Bridge that sold it, not far away. Another Black Country local was with me at the time and we journeyed together. Arriving at the venue, we entered the pub, to be greeted by a most sour old lady who took our order reluctantly.

” I do’ know about the beer, “ he commented “ but I think ‘ers the old peculiar”

The beer was fine, in the end. I’ve not tasted it for years now....

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Why would anyone want to buy Boddingtons, let alone 8 pints of the stuff. A friend of mine doesn’t drink ale, but would walk miles to get a pint of John Smiths. I do despair. 

Was driving home once from a Boddingtons pub after three pints  (yeah yeah I know shouldn't have) and saw a flashing blue light in the mirror.

Oh shizer and corruption I thought I've had it.

Blew up the breathaliser and it was negative!

Either the breathaliser was faulty,or Boddingtons is a very weak beer.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

No official warning will be issued on this occasion, but please mind your language.:D

Actually I see it's 4.2% alk, which is probably about 2% more than the original.

I don't think that can be correct, the original was much less than 4.1% as far as I can remember.

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

I don't think that can be correct, the original was much less than 4.1% as far as I can remember.

I'm sure it was, though in those days alcoholic strengths were not printed on cans or bottles so it was hard to tell.